Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers  (Read 14260 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:43:33 pm »

Hello again fellow bay12ers,

If you aren't already aware, Keen Software House has announced it will be developing a medieval equivalent to Space Engineers, aptly titled: Medieval Engineers.

The Email:

Medieval Engineers 
Keen Software House announces Medieval Engineers, the studio's second engineering title!

Prague, Czech Republic - January 13, 2015

Dear Fans,

We are excited to announce Medieval Engineers, our second "engineering" game. As you may already know, the first, Space Engineers, was released in October 2013 and sold over 1 million copies in its first year, and is still keeping its bestseller position. Medieval Engineers is currently in its alpha stage of development and will be soon available on Steam Early Access. More details will be announced at a later date.

Medieval Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and the maintenance of architectural works and mechanical equipment using medieval technology. Players build cities, castles and fortifications; construct mechanical devices and engines; perform landscaping and underground mining.

Medieval Engineers is inspired by real medieval technology and the way people built architectural and mechanical works in medieval times. Medieval Engineers strives to follow the laws of physics and real history and doesn't use technologies that were not available in 5th to 15th century.

"We are very curious to see how the Space Engineers community will react to Medieval Engineers and if other communities will also get interested in our new title" said Marek Rosa, CEO and Founder of Keen Software House. "We didn't want to only keep creating space games. Instead we wanted to have a game where players can interact with life and nature. By creating a second engineering game, we are also leveraging our existing technology and experience."

An in-game alpha video showing gameplay action and key features (creative mode, castle building, trebuchet construction, realistic destruction and physics) can be watched here:

Medieval Engineers - Announcement video
For more information about Medieval Engineers, please visit our website: www.MedievalEngineers.com

More details about the decisions that led to this project and its development can be found on Marek's blog: http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/01/medieval-engineers_22.html

For the latest news on Medieval Engineers, follow the official page on Facebook or on Twitter

Best Regards,
The Keen Software House team
http://www.keenswh.com

-

... And holy dear christy mother loving schmidt! I couldn't be more excited. This is another one of those games that I've always wanted. If anyone shares my interest in pure castle-building and siege warfare, comment below!

Peace.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:18 pm »

PTW
OH MY LORD YES
Black lives matter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:46:02 pm »

I'm personally holding out for Civil Engineers.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:27 pm »

I'm personally holding out for Civil Engineers.

No. please, GOD NO. PLEASE. NO!

EDIT: To bring in a bit of what was started to be discussed in the SE thread: Dwarven Siege engines.

My god, the endless possibilities. UGH, I can't wait!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:48:59 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

It looks great! Does it run better than SE, though? >.<
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:39 pm »

Probably not since it uses the same engine...sounds like you need a better PC :P

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 07:52:43 pm »

If anything it'll likely run a bit worse.  More physics (everything is on gravity) and more to render (one MASSIVE asteroid).

On siege engines, I'm looking forward to the day when we can build enormous wheeled monstrosities, with castles built atop them.  Have to have players going ahead to clear the terrain and make a roadway, but it's the ultimate Dwarven Siege Castle - if you won't come siege us, we'll just bring the castle to you and you'll have to siege us!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 07:53:29 pm »

lol that would be epic

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »

If anything it'll likely run a bit worse.  More physics (everything is on gravity) and more to render (one MASSIVE asteroid).

On siege engines, I'm looking forward to the day when we can build enormous wheeled monstrosities, with castles built atop them.  Have to have players going ahead to clear the terrain and make a roadway, but it's the ultimate Dwarven Siege Castle - if you won't come siege us, we'll just bring the castle to you and you'll have to siege us!

I think this may be possible quicker than you imagine. From what I saw in the trailer it doesn't seem like anything can collapse under it's own weight. or that even if objects/buildings/engines can, it's not like RF:G where it's cataclysmic.

EDIT: In fact i've already formulated a design: Four huge banks of wheels, and an armored under belly. Massive battering ram in front, flanked by boarding ramps. Above the wheel banks lie huge defensive bastions, and from the castle which sits above the center, huge trebuchets and catapults on towers with which to bombard the enemy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:59:58 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:59:32 pm »

That's the dev version, they've got it possible, but experimental already, to have things collapse under their own weight.  Building bridges and castles is going to be actual engineering.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 08:00:45 pm »

That's the dev version, they've got it possible, but experimental already, to have things collapse under their own weight.  Building bridges and castles is going to be actual engineering.

Ah, well that's also quite awesome. That's very impressive and i'm looking forward to grand designs in a... sensible fashion then.

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:09 pm »

Did they finished the other space game?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 08:47:57 pm »

They said something about how development in each has benefited the other, I heard.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »

I played a bit of Life is Feudal a month or so back. I'll miss the RPG elements, but I think this will be a massive improvement.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 10:36:35 pm »

I assume things like trebuchets will be possible. I wonder if it will be possible to make things like rotating platforms to stick them on? I mean, it'll be using cogs, ropes, chains and axels so will we have to spawn a donkey to rotate the axel or push it ourselves?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7