Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers  (Read 14297 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 02:40:19 pm »

Or be able to build a big stone space castle in SE
You just don't have the right mods.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 02:48:04 pm »

My mind is trying to process why would they work on another title when their main is still not complete after 2 year released....

Edit: After some backreading...

Not touching or getting hyped. Space engineers aren't even off of beta right, and they making another one.
Feels like leeching more money out of unfinished product which seems to be the todays trend on gaming industry.

Lif is aiming for MMO and is whole different game.
I like it and will be putting more time to it once MMO gets out

My point exactly. You cant annonce a new game while you still have one in the oven, you just cant... you start looking like amateur video game company who cannot deliver a finished product, hell even miner wars was never completed to what it was supposed to be..... so? Dont..... just...... dont.......
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 02:51:50 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 02:51:36 pm »

My mind is trying to process why would they work on another title when their main is still not complete after 2 year released....
Because... 1: They're allowed to.  2: Space development has been going stronger than ever even though they've been working on Medieval and just didn't tell anyone.  3: They have two dev teams.  4: Advances in one game will be shared to advance the other game.

Additionally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aJ0EStunXI
Gears and motors seem to be macro-model, where you just assemble gear boxes and whatnot to make things work.  We'll very likely see this added to Space Engineers when it becomes more complete.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 02:53:40 pm »

What i am eager to see is being able to place clutter inside a *cube* If you place a wall control panel you cant place a floor light because they use the same cube bound.... cube.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:06 pm »

Winches winches winches... what I want to know is if there will be wenches!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »

Winches winches winches... what I want to know is if there will be wenches!
Friendly NPCs aren't 100% confirmed yet, but are somewhat implied.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »

Yeah, they've been working on this game for a long time without telling anyone, and Space Engineers still gets an update every single week. I'm really, truly not worried. Not with this company. These guys really love their games. It's not so much "lots of people bought our game, so we should make another one quick so we can get more money" so much as "holy shit, people actually liked our game, and now we have all this extra money - let's use it to expand into two teams so we can make two amazing games at once instead of just one!" Marek is just so humble and unassuming, he seems genuinely surprised (though pleased) that SE has been so successful. He told me he scrimped and saved for years, doing contract work for software companies, just waiting for the day he'd finally be able to make games. Now he does it, and he called it "living his dreams every day."

There's also a very high standard of craftsmanship in Czech culture when it comes to the arts. Have a look at anything by Amanita Design (Machinarium, Botanicula) or any Czech children's shows/films to see what I mean. It's more important to do a good job than to make a lot of money (though high profits do tend to follow quality work).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 05:49:35 pm »

Sounds interesting. Very curious to see how this game turns out.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 06:48:49 pm »

Although I totally understand the immediate concern about them abandoning their current early access game and moving to another for more money, I have met these guys personally, and I think I can guarantee that they aren't doing that. Even though Marek wouldn't tell me the details of their new project, he made a point of talking about how they had greatly expanded the team in order to begin work on a new project, specifically to make sure that they wouldn't reduce the quality of Space Engineers. He also talked for a bit about how they had recently hired a small dedicated research team to make improvements on their engine, so they can open up more possibilities for Space Engineers as well as future games. I got to talk to him for a while, and believe me, this is not a guy who is in it for the money, or who is going to jump to a new project without finishing the old one. You can see the passion in his eyes when he talks about his work, and how happy the whole team is with what they're doing. I am definitely convinced that both games will be completed in very high quality, and have no qualms about supporting Medieval Engineers.
Yeah, they've been working on this game for a long time without telling anyone, and Space Engineers still gets an update every single week. I'm really, truly not worried. Not with this company. These guys really love their games. It's not so much "lots of people bought our game, so we should make another one quick so we can get more money" so much as "holy shit, people actually liked our game, and now we have all this extra money - let's use it to expand into two teams so we can make two amazing games at once instead of just one!" Marek is just so humble and unassuming, he seems genuinely surprised (though pleased) that SE has been so successful. He told me he scrimped and saved for years, doing contract work for software companies, just waiting for the day he'd finally be able to make games. Now he does it, and he called it "living his dreams every day."]

But... they sold a game on their website, Miner Wars 2081, that was supposed to be a single player game and also an MMO. Then they canceled the MMO part and gave no refunds. So, they did exactly what you said they'd never do!

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 07:25:22 pm »

Seeing as they've continued huge weekly updates as this has been in the works behind the scenes for so long, and there's already been cross polination of features, not sure this is the worst thing. What they did with miner wars was really shit but it does seem like they've moved past it, and they have hired more people to work on this new game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 07:33:06 pm »

Yes, they made a mistake. With one game. While being a smaller studio.

It's like you can't fuck up once or  no one will ever trust you again no matter what you do. That part of human logic is just absolute shit sometimes.
I once boiled an egg for 5 minutes and it was runny and I had to do it again...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 07:35:57 pm »

Yes, they made a mistake. With one game. While being a smaller studio.

It's like you can't fuck up once or  no one will ever trust you again no matter what you do. That part of human logic is just absolute shit sometimes.
I once boiled an egg for 5 minutes and it was runny and I had to do it again...

Ya, but in the process you discovered the powers of a soft-boiled egg! (right? I don't even know what a soft-boiled egg is.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »

I already answered that.  It was runny.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 07:45:36 pm »

I'm agreeing with you.  I'm now an accomplished egg-cooker.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2015, 09:03:57 pm »

ptw
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7