Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers  (Read 14319 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Less-Than-Space Engineers: Medieval Engineers
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 12:21:35 am »

What i am eager to see is being able to place clutter inside a *cube* If you place a wall control panel you cant place a floor light because they use the same cube bound.... cube.....
I believe that's one of the features they discussed as crossing over from Medieval Engineers to Space Engineers. In ME the feature already exists.

* Sean Mirrsen looks in the blog.

Actually that's the first line in the list of features Marek said would do so.

Quote from: Marek Rosa http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/01/medieval-engineers_22.html
Very early we realized that even Space Engineers could actually benefit from the development of Medieval Engineers. A medieval setting has different requirements for volumetric environments and it forces us to look at the engineering genre from a different angle. To be more specific, these are the things that Space Engineers earned (or may receive in the future) thanks to Medieval Engineers:

Compound blocks – multiple blocks being positioned into one grid cell; this will allow better ship designs
    Mechanical blocks
    Auto-generated details for some blocks (e.g. roof endings in Medieval Engineers, armor edges in Space Engineers)
    Voxel hand – a tool for modifying terrains (asteroids); you can alter shape and material
    Structural integrity
    Natural landscape
    Procedural terrain generator (this is why we were able to easily add procedural asteroids to Space Engineers)
    DirectX 11 (we decided to add PBR - Physically Based Rendering)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 02:37:53 am »

Yes, they made a mistake. With one game. While being a smaller studio.

It's like you can't fuck up once or  no one will ever trust you again no matter what you do. That part of human logic is just absolute shit sometimes.
There's a saying....

I think SE looks awesome, but Keen needs to prove themselves to me after ripping me off. SE seems close to doing that.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 03:20:25 am »

Yes, they made a mistake. With one game. While being a smaller studio.

It's like you can't fuck up once or  no one will ever trust you again no matter what you do. That part of human logic is just absolute shit sometimes.
There's a saying....

I think SE looks awesome, but Keen needs to prove themselves to me after ripping me off. SE seems close to doing that.

Ah, I see you wanted the MMO and Singleplayer game?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2015, 01:04:04 pm »

When I preordered Miner Wars 2081, the description said it would be an MMO and a single-player game. Then, maybe a year later, they decided not to include the MMO.

Actually... I just went to their website and saw this:
We have also decided to offer the opportunity to the people who purchased Miner Wars MMO to exchange it with a Space Engineers copy. Miner Wars MMO remains in the development plans, but still in an inactive state. In order to request for an exchange, please send us an email at support@keenswh.com and include your MinerWars.com profile username or the email address you used to create the account.

Maybe they just proved themselves to me and I never knew....

EDIT: That bit of news was from March 2014. I emailed them and shall see what they say.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:16:41 pm by Eduardo X »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2015, 02:23:19 pm »

I think that at this point the largest point-of-contention with anything Keen Software House based seems to be their networking capabilities. If they should ever optimize SE, and hopefully Medieval Engineers now too, enough to allow for high-capacity, smooth multiplayer my opinion and replayability of those games will increase immensely.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:02 am »

I'm hesitantly optimistic about this. I've really enjoyed my time with SE, and ME might be in the theme/setting that would enable me to get the wife interested in the builder genre. However, past history suggests to me that anytime developments get split up (even when they're "hiring more people") things are not as rosy as I'd like.

The announcement has (to me) an air of "Life is Feudal looks good but is still rough in implementation best beat it to market while we can". This may be due to me recently evaluating the other product for purchase. I'm still not sure that LiF would be worth buying, but there are a good number of similarities in the titles.

As LiF isn't ready for the big time and the two occupy a similar niche (medieval builder game), I can only hope that this is not a release-race situation brewing with ME 'rushing to print' in order to get in front of the other title's deployment. We'll see - Keen's been pretty good so far, but this isn't my first time watching how titles jockey for "position in the turns" and I'm not willing to give them a pass on SE's strength alone.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 11:31:43 am »

However, past history suggests to me that anytime developments get split up (even when they're "hiring more people") things are not as rosy as I'd like.

I fail to see how this is an issue. The announcement isn't "we're starting a new game" but "we've been working on a new game for months and there has been no drop in quality of the updates to our previous one."

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »

Eh, well. There have been a number of situations which have left some customers a bit less than happy. "Planetary Annihilation" and "Starbound" to name two I've seen some contention over. Whether it is warranted or not is another matter but either way people haven't been completely satisfied over the end products.

Though, this is not really the place for a more in depth discussion on that topic. These things have a habit of taking over for a few pages, so enough about that for now.  :P

I wonder if Medieval Engineers will feature fluid physics. Waterwheels, boiling oil chutes and aqueducts would be interesting engineering projects.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »

I wonder if Medieval Engineers will feature fluid physics. Waterwheels, boiling oil chutes and aqueducts would be interesting engineering projects.
It might. It's talked about in the interview with LastStandGaming, but they're making no promises because they're not sure whether, or when, they can implement the system and optimize it to such a degree that it won't grind the performance down.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »

Fluid mechanics are killer on CPUs if they are remotely accurate...would love to see it in a game like this though where it can be utilized properly

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »

Fluid mechanics are killer on CPUs if they are remotely accurate...

Just look at DF.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »

There are fairly accurate 3D fluid dynamic simulators out there, but that's the thing: it pretty much has to be its own program because it eats up so much processing power on even the best computers that nothing else can run.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:43 pm »

That's why you don't do fluid physics accurately and instead cheat a lot.
._.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2015, 05:43:51 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just go Wurm's route, set the water level to be at a fixed point through the world (adjustable by server possibly).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2015, 06:34:45 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just go Wurm's route, set the water level to be at a fixed point through the world (adjustable by server possibly).

That makes for blah landscapes, just sayin'. At least water tables of varying heights.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7