Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 480936 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« on: January 14, 2015, 06:42:58 am »

I hope I didn't totally miss an existing thread, but Creative Assembly have finally confirmed what everyone hoped/knew; Total Waaaaagh War: Warhammer is on the way!

...granted, no pictures or concrete information yet, but the hype train is now rocketing out of the station. Aaaah.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:00:02 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Tronak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 06:54:23 am »

My DLC sense is tingling. After S2TW and R2TW I'm not going to get very hyped till I see it released, but it is a good new after all  :)

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:07:17 am »

Why didn't they call it Total Warhammer! Missed oppurtunity
Looking forward to it though
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 07:17:53 am »

I've been praying for this ever since I heard of the Warhammer world. Now it's finally going to be made, yay!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36:18 am »

I did see this earlier today, though since it was on Kotaku and, well they're kind of attention grabby with articles, I didn't want to get too excited about it.

However, as has been said; out of all the potential companies to work on a Warhammer Fantasy game, Creative Assembly are certainly the best choice. I look forward to blasting Orcs apart with hellblasters and using bright wizards to burn hordes of Skaven, as well as using hordes of Skaven. As well as the tactical aspects featured in other Total War games.

I did see an interesting comment of someone wondering whether it will incorporate possible changes to the Warhammer Fantasy universe that are rumoured to be coming. Things about the world being split into bubbles and so on but I haven't looked into the tabletop lore for about 4 years now.

As a very small nitpick; Warhammer: Total War sounds better to my ear. Total War: Warhammer is a little awkward with the repetition.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 07:41:45 am »

Whatever everyone's reservations are, and whatever the shortfalls of the game are: doesn't matter, it's finally here!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 07:46:36 am »

Yeah, we will likely see various Imperial factions as playable first, then you can buy DLC for Skaven, DLC for Undead, DLC for Chaos... but meh, just means I'll wait for Total Waaagh! Gold Edition before buying. It was about time to get ridiculous pauldrons in TW.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 08:06:02 am »

How in the world will the overmap and strategic game work?

Unless it is limited to a small area, and not all of the old world?

For example, no one wants to conquer the chaos wastes, nor could you send an army there to pacify it.  They'd just mutate, or worse.  So will chaos not hold ground?  Not have home cities? Not be a faction?

And Skaven... will the underdark or whatever its called be a seperate map layer?  Will they have diplomatic options?

This will be interesting to watch.  They have their work cut oug for them.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:34 am »

In theory, you could have cHaOs and Skaven as off-map threats you can't play in single-player campaign, spawning event invasions like mongol invasion in Medieval. Though underworld problems apply to dwarves and night gobbies too... surface fighting should be secondary to both as opposed to underground brawls.

edit: Going by existing mechanics, orks would be quite easy - tribes are separate till big bosh smashes enough skulls, then you get Waaaagh! which is pretty much a tribal confederation. It breaks up after the first major defeat or when the big boss dies.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:21:34 am by Majestic7 »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:49 am »

It would make sense for them to implement factions in different ways from what is the norm in, say, Rome II. Chaos could get waves of units determined by your success in battle (more wins means more troops per turn), Orcs could have unit generators rather than hiring squads, Skaven could have similar but maybe also generate troops under other factions towns through spies.

I think the best thing about a Warhammer game being made by a company is that it can be designed with regards to the setting and factions rather than having to work within limitations of the engine like many mods that have come out are.

I would like to see an underground map split. Something like in HoMMIII would make defence of dwarven holds interesting with above ground and underground to consider.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 09:02:22 am »

Going by existing mechanics, orks would be quite easy - tribes are separate till big bosh smashes enough skulls, then you get Waaaagh! which is pretty much a tribal confederation. It breaks up after the first major defeat or when the big boss dies.

I'm not up on all the WFB lore, but used to play a fair bit of WFRP back in the older editions.  So I'm not totally up on all the lore, but this seems to be the thing.  Orks dont hold ground either.  You don't invade their provinces and start constructing cannon foundries with local labor. You dont build a brothel to recruit rakes once you own orktown, or whatever.

Ork tribes and beastmen exist in the gaps.  in the woods just away from the roads, outside of the flickering light of civilization.  The empire is strong, but it holds on tenuously and the thin connections between cities are only guarded by the roadwardens.  Every town -- indeed, every FARM -- is a fortress.  Just outside the walls, just off the road, just past the banks of every waterway... there lurk the orks and goblins and beastmen.

So I get it.  I get how you'd play the empire with random events... or even how you't play Kieslev or Brittania or a Border Prince or even the Dwarfs and Undeads... but I don't really see how you'd make the Gobbos or Orks or Chaos or Skaven to be playable factions.

I can imagine some ways, but it would be a pretty big departure from the standard mechanics of the Total War franchise.

Which is why I am so curious to see what they do.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 10:57:15 am »

Well they did have horde gameplay way back in Barbarian Invasion and they're doing something similar (but presumably more in-depth) in Attila. I'm not saying those would be 1:1 with how WH Orcs should play out, but I think it's fair to say that vanilla Total War has had instances of less than traditional strategic gaming and hence can feasibly use that to create a satisfying and different way to play orcs.

Or maybe we just get orcburgs and build highways all over orcland while we recruit shock troopas from the capital. Remains to be seen I guess.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:01 am »

I hope they'll include actual magic into the game. The one that would be as strong as it should be.
._.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 12:21:55 pm »

I don't play the tabletop anymore, just too prohibitively expensive and GW are not helping. But this excites me so much. However, if I can't play Skaven, and I can't name/customize my heroes/lords, there will be hell to pay. That is  all.
Also, if my warp-lightning cannons DON'T spin around randomly sometimes and decimate my lines, I'll be highly disappointing. (misfires are WHY I played Skaven).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 12:34:26 pm »

Ah darn, was hoping for screenshots and video and stuff. Oh well, PTW.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 277