Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 485003 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1245 on: July 21, 2016, 04:21:02 pm »

To me, it might be the best Total War so far. Apart from one of Napoleon's mini-campaigns, I actually hadn't finished a single run since Medieval 2. Now I've finished 2 and am heading for my third. It's also pretty damn fun in the battles, and it actually made me bother to get good rather than just autoresolving with massive numbers.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 21, 2016, 09:55:32 pm »

I have enjoyed my playtime so far a lot. It has a nice variety of units and the factions play to different strengths which means you don't get as much of the repeating battle tactics as in Rome II vs the barbarian tribes as Rome.

I hope they add in any units that are missing at later dates, I believe they plan to add naval battles in at some future point, and some more battle maps would not go amiss.

I'm actually a little confused on that last part. The game doesn't have a random map generator like Medieval 2 where the map reflects broadly where the battle is taking place on the campaign map does it? One battle map, the forest with a lane between two copses on a downward slope, I get quite frequently.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 21, 2016, 10:37:08 pm »

No, I believe they removed that awesome map generator thing. It actually wasn't random too. They pregenerated the entire map in Rome 2 and so you had a massive variety of maps and if you liked a specific spot you could mark it down and go fight it again in skirmish or something.

Now it's back to the old style where every... "area" has a map. It would help if more of the maps were more interesting other than just basically flat lands with some minor humps. Currently there are only a miniscule handful of interesting, memorable maps.

By the way, some other problems with the maps include:

1. No wall-less settlement battles.
2. No river crossings, bridges, etc.
3. No beaches, oceans, or stuff like that

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 21, 2016, 10:48:15 pm »

The first in that list I'm willing to forgive because we get awesome settlements in the background instead weird tiny ones. The other ones, though...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 21, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »

I would like if more of the battle maps have larger signs of habitation. There are a few farm houses scattered around but I would like maps with field partitions, village streets, edges of dark forests and the like.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 22, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »

Anyhow to answer something way earlier it isn't a plothole that the dwarves have little-no actual method of defense against siege towers.

Rather it is called inconsistency. The Dwarves are not built as if they were a part of their own setting.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »

I like the dwarves, and their fire arrows of doom. The idea of having ballistae as a cost-efficient alternative to canons works, in my mind.
Have you re-re-bought the game yet?

No wall-less settlement battles.
I'm willing to forgive it because we get awesome settlements in the background instead weird tiny ones.
Well I personally didn't like that in all of the previous games you could go barricade yourself in the town centre of a wall-less settlement and your enemy had to path around all of the buildings to get to you.
A fix I always wanted was the ability for soldiers to torch every house on their way in- as real marauders would.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 22, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »

I like the dwarves, and their fire arrows of doom. The idea of having ballistae as a cost-efficient alternative to canons works, in my mind.
Have you re-re-bought the game yet?

No the DLC whoring has turned me off the game for good.

Which wouldn't be so bad if I felt like it was expanding the content... But right now I get the distinct impression that it is filling in content slots.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 03:52:55 pm by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 22, 2016, 03:57:53 pm »

I will personally admit that I had originally been taken in by the statement by CA basically stating: "Strategy games don't sell well. PC-only games don't sell well. If we're gonna keep doing what we love, we have to get y'all to buy heaps of DLC so that we can make money back off our games."

But, considering how back then they were doing 200 maps to a region and now are not, I'm less enthused.

But to complain about DLC-whoring now is precious, considering that SEGA's DLC policy is baseline-so-fucking-crazy that this game actually has less than the standard. Significantly less, depending on how expensive the standalones end up being. From the days of Rome I they've had a policy of trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of their engine before needing to make a new one.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:25:53 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 22, 2016, 11:23:43 pm »

But to complain about DLC-whoring now is precious. From the days of Rome I they've had a policy of trying to squeeze as much money as possible out of their engine before needing to make a new one.

A problem is still a problem.

In fact can you even explain why it is a bad attitude to not want a game because they are not only releasing a lot of overpriced DLC... but also leaving huge gaps and absences in the base game in order to have the DLC slot in even at the expense of the overall experience?

In fact can you even explain why "I", someone who likes a complete game... should even buy this if I already find it very expensive before adding in DLC?

Edit: Deleted some stuff. Tack refers to it, but frankly I don't quite like the way I written it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 02:55:54 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 23, 2016, 01:33:30 am »

May need to read the above post again. They're absolutely DLC whores, but they've been up-front about why that is.
If you went back in time and forced them not to lean on DLC, the company likely wouldn't exist today.

Edit: Here's a link to CA people explaining why they did DLC

That being said,  I enjoyed Rome II at launch, so I'm pretty sure I am the worst variety of fanboy.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 06:22:51 am by Tack »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 23, 2016, 02:42:27 am »

I don't post that much :P you called me out. (yes I deleted a large post... frankly... no one needs to read it)

That being said,  I enjoyed Rome II at launch, so I'm pretty sure I am the worst variety of fanboy.

I still bought The Sims 4 and its first expansion even though I knew it was a terrible idea... >_<... though to admit the suckiness of the game crushed me in the end.

So I am not that much better with things I am passionate about.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:14:01 am by Neonivek »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 23, 2016, 04:23:50 pm »

I don't post that much :P you called me out. (yes I deleted a large post... frankly... no one needs to read it)

I still bought The Sims 4 and its first expansion even though I knew it was a terrible idea... >_<... though to admit the suckiness of the game crushed me in the end.

So I am not that much better with things I am passionate about.

I will remember this post the next time you complain about some aspect of, well, anything.
It's a game. Have fun.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 23, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »

Wait, no! We should encourage this behaviour, not punish it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 277