Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 485015 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2730 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:22 pm »

Finally got enough money to get the game later today. I guess I'll be playing Norsca tonight.

Umiman: could you either link to the complaints about the Vortex itself or paraphrase it for us?
Here you go: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/72qm20/german_gaming_magazine_claims_vortex_mechanic_is/

tl;dr: The map is too big to properly intercept any vortex issues. The summon armies mechanic to disrupt the rituals doesn't work as the armies just fuck off and do random things instead. The final vortex battle is way too easy and makes it so you don't have to care about the entire mechanic at all because there's no way you can lose the last chance battle regardless.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: September 27, 2017, 12:55:31 pm »

Reading and pondering about what is written, I think the only actual problem is summoned armies just fucking off.

Yeah, the final vortex battle is easy. But I remember that not too long ago I was utter and complete trash at the game, and a lot of people are also not good at it. If you don't want to have the chance to do a failsafe battle then just... quit when it pops up? It's the same as just losing outright.

Can you imagine the reaction if CA decided that you HAD to be the first to complete the rituals or game over? Some people (though not me) just want to paint the map and make nice borders (embrace the bordergore).

I expect mods will start popping up pretty fast to make it as hard or easy as the user may want.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: September 27, 2017, 12:57:24 pm »

I expect mods will start popping up pretty fast to make it as hard or easy as the user may want.
Uhh... I don't think you can actually mod quest battles themselves. There are no mods in TWW that do that, despite many of the end-game ones being stupidly easy too.

From the way people are describing the final battle, you don't have to do anything to win, as the AI has to fight 3 other AI armies anyway. So it's not that it's just easy. It's to the point where you don't have to even be there and the only way you could lose that battle is if you deliberately sabotaged your allies in that fight.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: September 27, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »

Uhh... I don't think you can actually mod quest battles themselves. There are no mods in TWW that do that, despite many of the end-game ones being stupidly easy too.

From the way people are describing the final battle, you don't have to do anything to win, as the AI has to fight 3 other AI armies anyway. So it's not that it's just easy. It's to the point where you don't have to even be there and the only way you could lose that battle is if you deliberately sabotaged your allies in that fight.
You can't mod the battles. But you can mod unit stats, which will increase the difficulty.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:39 pm »

You can't mod the battles. But you can mod unit stats, which will increase the difficulty.
How would that make the final battle more difficult? All the AI ally troops will have increased unit stats too. I'm assuming you're referring to how you can modify the stat cheats the AI gets when you up the difficulty, but they affect all AI troops, not just the enemy. They have to, because all the AI are your enemies to begin with. You can't temporarily change the stats on a per battle basis.

So you just end up with all the AI being more powerful and you still don't have to do anything.

-----------

I don't really care too much about the ritual stuff anyway. I kinda accepted it to be gimmicky and more like a non-replayable thing anyway.

My main focus was always on the combined campaign. That and manual control ratling guns. But since I won't get either at release, I'm pretty ambivalent on everything.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »

Same. Combined campaign and Skryre DLC, pls
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: September 27, 2017, 08:00:53 pm »

Finished Norsca on Very Hard with the Crow path. Final battle was surprisingly hard. Also this means that I've done each race on Very Hard (except Greenskins, who were on Legendary). Of all of them, my favorites ended up being Dwarfs and Beastmen.

Looking forward to doing a Dark Elf run tomorrow.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:06 am »

It seems like stopping the A.I. from winning the last battle doesn't mean you win, rather you still have to complete the ritual yourself before you can win the campaign.
    CA_Whelan said:

Hey guys, stopping the AI win the final battle doesn't win the final battle for yourself!

You have to go through the entire ritual chain and trigger the final battle on your own to win the campaign through the vortex race, we just give you a chance to claw yourself back and have a second wind by stopping the other factions from completing the race.

If they're reporting that you can just teleport an army over and win the game then I'm afraid they've misunderstood

On the intervention armies; I do think they undermine a bit of the challenge and rush when you can summon armies, but it's understandable when the maps so big.

With mods it should be possible to modify some things to do with the campaign. There are mods that change when the Chaos armies arrive in Warhammer 1, whether they arrive earlier or later.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:17 am »

Game unlocks for me in an hour and a half.
Very keen.

Not sure if it's rolling release though, because it's releasing at not-midnight.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:32 am »

Game is out.

-------

Feels so weird to see such a teeny tiny faction selection list again. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the Mortal Empires map so I can kill Elves with Dwarf fire.

Also there's no blood.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: September 28, 2017, 06:49:34 am »

I thought we would have game 1 factions available in custom battles (provided we have the game 1)

Graphics are weird somehow. Fonts are kinda blurry. Playing at 1440p max settings and the game doesnt look very good. Though I had this problem with game 1 too.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: September 28, 2017, 09:55:53 am »

My campaign as Tyrion and the High Elves is going well, though slowly as I'm paying attention to things closely. I've noted some very interesting things so far;

« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:23:22 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: September 28, 2017, 02:18:09 pm »

CA released the High Elf trailer today. It's super spiffy in 360 so watch it on a phone for maximum entertainment.

It features High Elves doing what High Elves do best.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: September 28, 2017, 02:39:45 pm »

I've found the game so far to be the XCOM 2 of TWarhammers.
They did a thing with more storyline and it's fallen flat 'cos I just want to expand and conquer, and then they threw in a bunch of cutscenes to bring me in to the story, which again don't really do anything for me.
That and now the between-turn camera pan-across is... I wouldn't say jarring, but overly showy. It's certainly gotten a lot more flair since the days of bare-bones historical sims.

Also I always thought of Morathi as being more wizened... that was not so.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: September 28, 2017, 04:26:32 pm »

CA decided to shut down workshop support for the next few days so mods don't interfere with crash / bug reports.

--------

If you guys haven't seen it, you need to see how the Grey Seer rides the Screaming Bell. It's frigging hilarious.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 277