Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 484559 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3120 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:50 pm »

So late game Arkhan, and TK in general I suppose, can have far more armies running around than is normally practical. Really I found that after you unlock the third army you wind up being ahead of everyone for the rest of the game. I usually never have more than 4, and two of those are usually mostly mooks, right now I'm running 7 and mostly using elite units. 5 leading the charge into the lands above Nehekara and devastating everything in their path, 1 keeping and eye on my starting area because one of the Chaos armies respawns around there and the last 1 running around for the books of Nagash scattered around the New World.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: February 01, 2018, 12:09:21 am »

I found this to also be the case...I have never had as many armies as I have at once with the TK. They are definately a snowball faction...especially once you pass up basic units for Ushabti/Tomb Guards.

Full armies of Ushabti are hilarious to watch.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: February 01, 2018, 05:28:34 am »

I found this to also be the case...I have never had as many armies as I have at once with the TK. They are definately a snowball faction...especially once you pass up basic units for Ushabti/Tomb Guards.

Full armies of Ushabti are hilarious to watch.
I kinda prefer Stalkers myself. They seem tankier for some reason. They're also bigger, heh.

They have some kind of ranged attack but I can't figure out what are the specific conditions to get them to fire. Sometimes they shoot and sometimes they'll just walk into melee range instead.

------------

I had a really, really awesome final battle as Arkhan vs Settra.

Settra only had one town left (though I kinda left him alone up there for quite awhile while I conquered everything to the Southeast) so I waltz up there with Arkhan and his silly stack of starting units. I figure it'd be a cakewalk, since he probably has no units left. However, I end my turn out of sight of the town as I ran out of movement points.

End the turn.

Settra attacks me with two and a half stacks of units. Oh shit. Tomb Guards, warriors, Ushabti, catapult, chariots, etc. etc. You name it. I don't even know where the fuck he summoned these troops from. His last town can't possibly have all those recruitment buildings.

Nevermind. It's fine. I've fought harder battles before. Jump into the battle.

The enemy's reinforcements are coming right from my left hand side. Awesome. I can just cut them off there, rout the army, and turn to fight the main force. Easy.

The sheer enormous tide of units coming in from the left hand side completely overwhelmed all my guys, pushing straight through. I had units trapped in pockets all over the left side fighting on all sides. I think it's some kind of miracle they haven't completely crumbled. My archers are no longer archering. My poor casket of souls is now dying to Ushabti. One thing I completely forgot. Tomb Kings aren't alive. They don't rout. They don't flee in panic when losing. They fight to the death. This plan to quickly get rid of them was idiotic.

But it's okay. We're surrounded and isolated on every side, but we're somehow winning. My units have more experience and stats than theirs. I can defeat them with some rear charges by my scorpion, my chariots, Arkhan, and my Necrotect. Arkhan's chariot lets him somehow float through enemy units so it's damn good for this situation.

We kill off a huge number of skellingtons, enough to let the enemy proc their Ushabti spawn. They spawn it on some of my chariots, which is hilarious as I leave them in the middle of the desert.

Then comes Settra. At the worst possible time. He's an anti-Arkhan missile and zooms straight to my lord, who's been keeping the entire army alive thanks to the Tomb Blade AOE regeneration, and his AOE regeneration skill, and his casting spell AOE regeneration skill.

BAM!

Arkhan takes 50% of his health in damage from the one charge. It's insane. Fucking spamming Spirit Leech on Settra trying to kill him. Send the Necrotect in to help fight him off. Send the frigging scorpion in as well. Send in the RoR skelly spears with poison attacks.

The rest of Settra's army smashes in. My army is in shambles. At this point it's basically just Arkhan, the necrotect, the scorpion, the RoR skelly, RoR archers, and like... a Tomb Guard left alive. Versus a thousand-something skellingtons. The only reason these guys were alive is because they're the only guys within Arkhan's neverending regen AOE. Arkhan himself is constantly bordering on crumbling.

After like.... 8 Spirit Leeches, Settra finally collapses. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. But the battle is not yet won. I group all my units into a tight little ball and hope for the best. Can a hundred or so bones defeat a thousand if there's enough regeneration? There's still Ushabti, probably the guys who spawned in the middle of nowhere. There's still heroes running around. I start micro-ing Arkhan like mad, using his phasing ability to constantly smash through lines, taking care not to move him too far from the circle or the regen will end.

Finally. After killing another 500 or so bones. Everything starts to crumble.

Victory.

The only things remaining are Arkhan, the Necrotect, and the scorpion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: February 01, 2018, 08:14:32 am »

Heh heh, on the cusp battles are great. Especially with undead and the threat of army crumbling looming above you.

Settra's charge statistic is incredible. Tack mentioned he had Settra with 180 Charge Bonus. I have Settra currently sitting at 193 though I think it' supposed to be a bit higher. +30 bonus from the combat skill tree, +6 for Fearless trait, +20 from Golden Eye of Rah-nutt talisman item, +10% from Trampler of the Ages, +12% from Immortal King of Nehekhara and +8% from the Crown of Nehekhara item. Settra the freight train indeed.

Settra's speed is at 98 currently. I might see if I can increase that some more as well.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:27 am »

Apparently the higher tier Tomb Kings units are supposed to have voice lines but were accidentally turned off. It's been mentioned in the forums that it'll be fixed next patch (when that'll be is unknown).

But if you want part of them back, there's a mod here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1285032358&searchtext=

I don't recommend it though, the audio balance is a little wonky and it only has like... 3 lines when there are way more in the game.

----------

Incidentally, I figured out how stalker ranged attacks work.

They're basically shotguns. They won't fire (most of the time) if there's allied units in the way and will walk into melee instead, but if it's a clear shot (or it decides that it's suddenly fine to obliterate your own troops) it will blast huge holes in the enemy lines.

Reminds me of revolver cavalry from FotS. Except here it's in monster unit form.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:10 pm »

The "Make War Not Love" event from Sega is beginning on the 14th of February. Games that are part of the event are Warhammer 2, Endless Space 2, Company of Heroes 2 and, kind of amusingly considering recent news, Dawn of War 3.

Along with signing up you can get 2 free games on your Steam account, I saw someone mention that they got Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage 2.

The way it seems to be working this year is all the participating games have a combined hours played target. Upon reaching this target all involved will recieve a pack of content. This first rounds pack includes "Viking: Battle for Asgard", "The Grim and the Grave" DLC for Warhammer 1 and 75% off Dawn of War 2: Retribution. The target hours played is 650,000 hours.

I believe there was comments from Creative Assembly about a multiplayer map pack for Warhammer 2 being part of the event, though which day that would be available I don't know.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: February 13, 2018, 04:02:51 am »

Literally the grim and the grave is the only one I don’t own.
Bonus.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:18 pm »

To coincide with the Make War Not Love event, 2 pieces of stuff have been released.

First up is a patch. It seems to focus on some of the smaller issues people were reporting such as projectile spam from casters, some battle maps having display issues and the Tomb King basic skeletons not having the proper audio playing.

Spoiler: Patch Notes (click to show/hide)

Second up is the release of a small piece of FLC. The "Steps of Isha" map pack. I assume this is the multiplayer map pack that was mentioned previously, though I thought it was to be released as a reward for the event.
Spoiler: Steam Page information (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: February 20, 2018, 10:10:20 am »

In non-Warhammer but still Total War news... we get another DLC for Rome 2? I didn't see this one coming. It's a faction DLC for the Grand Campaign, adding playable Masaesyli, Kush, Saba and Nabatea.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: February 20, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »

In non-Warhammer but still Total War news... we get another DLC for Rome 2? I didn't see this one coming. It's a faction DLC for the Grand Campaign, adding playable Masaesyli, Kush, Saba and Nabatea.

And a new patch adding female leaders.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: February 20, 2018, 11:12:06 pm »

I thought the main selling point of boudacia and Joan were their unconventionalism..
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: February 21, 2018, 07:33:41 am »

I thought the main selling point of boudacia and Joan were their unconventionalism..

It looks like most of the woman will keep themselves only in the politics. Only some cultures will allow them to raise to faction leaders and ( I am not sure) generals.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: February 21, 2018, 01:25:12 pm »

wasnt there already some kind of desert faction thing for Rome 2? i seem to remember playing one of my rome 2 campaigns as some east africans with insane heavy infantry

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: February 21, 2018, 01:55:34 pm »

wasnt there already some kind of desert faction thing for Rome 2? i seem to remember playing one of my rome 2 campaigns as some east africans with insane heavy infantry
Maybe you're thinking about Attila?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:25 am »

Maybe you're thinking about Attila?

ha! yes, you're absolutely right. aksum in attila.

i'll be curious to see how much art overlap there is between the "Empires of Sand" attila factions and the "Desert Kingdoms" in rome 2
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 277