Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 483607 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3210 on: June 05, 2018, 04:24:56 pm »

I’ve got Throgg with an all-monster army right now. Has anyone else tried it? I’ve got Fimir as my front line, Trolls to shock, a Feral Manticore as an aerial harasser, two mammoths, and ice wolves. It’s pretty great, but I do lack ranged and have nothing to assault walls with in siege battles.
Ranged is a silly little elven strategy.

Real manly monsters simply walk forward and kill everything in the way.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: June 06, 2018, 03:10:12 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:43 pm »

Not Warhammer, but... 3 Kingdoms Cao-Cao trailer, in-engine.
This is obviously all wrong. Cao Cao is not shown to be the Gendo Ikari he was, an there is no mention of the angelic rose-cheeked Liu Bei-sempai and his band of bishounen.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: June 06, 2018, 03:37:53 pm »

This is obviously all wrong. Cao Cao is not shown to be the Gendo Ikari he was, an there is no mention of the angelic rose-cheeked Liu Bei-sempai and his band of bishounen.
Isn't that Liu Bei at the end?

Anyway, for people wondering how Dynasty Warriors CA will get, their Q&A explains:
A big difference is how these iconic heroes behave on the battlefield. By default, we adhere to the romanticised view: these characters can hold their own against hundreds of rank-and-file warriors. They’ll appear as single character units and fight like the heroes from Luo Guanzhong’s epic. In Classic Mode, they’ll appear in battle the way you might expect a classic Total War general to do: they’re only human, and will march into battle at the centre of a bodyguard unit.

In short: by default, characters in Total War: THREE KINGDOMS take centre stage in battle, helping to turn the tide with their flamboyant Wushu martial arts or strategic prowess. But Classic Mode focuses more on historical troop manoeuvres, where victory is defined by superior army composition and battle tactics.

I think that's a great choice. They couldn't have done that better.

Incidentally, they also mentioned one of their advisors is the foremost expert on the period, Rafe De Crespigny. Good stuff. I have high hopes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: June 06, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »

Do you see an angelic halo over his head? Do the Cherubs sing hallelujah? Is a peasant delegation blowing him? Did anyone serve him his wife for dinner?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: June 06, 2018, 04:10:22 pm »

Do you see an angelic halo over his head? Do the Cherubs sing hallelujah? Is a peasant delegation blowing him? Did anyone serve him his wife for dinner?
Which wife? The one he abandoned to die (repeatedly), the one he abandoned to die, the one he just generally abandoned, or the incestuous one?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: June 06, 2018, 04:20:57 pm »

I meant the wife the random peasant served him when he couldn't find any meat in the house.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: June 06, 2018, 04:34:56 pm »

I meant the wife the random peasant served him when he couldn't find any meat in the house.
I thought you were joking, but wtf...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: June 06, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »

Lovely book! Great for children.

Ahem. Anyway, TW:ROTK, eh? Feels like a step down from Warhammer.
Like you've just seen Lord of the Rings, and then the trailers go: From the visionary director of LoTR - 'Back to the mundane shit: No dragons!'

TW: WH40K would be more like it.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: June 06, 2018, 07:17:43 pm »

0/10 no Cao Cao slaughtering a village that took him as a guest.

Personally, my favorite "wat?" moment from RTK was when one of the descendants (relatives?) of Liu Bei decides it would be better to kill himself and his wife and children to protect his honor instead of surrendering to Wei. This being after pretty much everyone else in Shu had done so.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:20:09 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:11 am »

The next patch is in the works, a beta has been put up on Steam as well as a list of things we can expect to be fixed.

Spoiler: Copied from Blog Post (click to show/hide)

The major things amongst this is Crone Hellebron's ability from her swords working as it should, as well as rogue armies spawning during campaigns correctly.

Also, friggin Surtha Ek.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: June 07, 2018, 11:31:18 am »

PC gamer has an article up. To spare people from having to subject themselves to the ad barrage, I'll paste some relevant quotes.

There are some nice bullshots on there though.

When you go into most battles, you'll be able to choose up to three hero units to bring with you. Because heroes have varying recruitment options, who you choose will determine what kind of units you'll be able to bring to a given battle. You won't be able to pair any generals without consequence though. Three Kingdoms introduces heavier social dynamics between the lead characters. Generals will all have a taste or distaste for the others in their retinue that can affect how they perform in battle. You'll even need to worry about how they feel about themselves, according to Mann.

"We have this satisfaction mechanic which is about how a character feels about where they are in life, like their lot within your faction or an enemy faction, and that's something that's driven by all of these relationships and events that occur in every game."

Mann explains:"With Total War: Three Kingdoms, we're really pushing the concept of characters, and actually certain characters will be bringing these formations in to get them enabled for the rest of your army. So by default your army potentially can't form a diamond formation with its calvary. But by bringing a high-level strategist in with you, they're actually able to give you those formations, so it's kind of something you progress into as you're playing through the game."

Besides character appearance, Mann shed some more light on some more differences between the two modes. "Things like random events, certain characters, certain historical events won't be occurring within the [classic] mode because they're more fictional and part of the actual Romance text."

Historically, agents would pile up over time and required way too much micromanagement, so a change has long been overdue. Gaspar tells me not to worry, but that it's too early to talk details. "It's very exciting. It's going to be very surprising."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: June 07, 2018, 06:52:12 pm »

Sounds nice.

Also depressed generals will be a thing, going off those quotes.

(Stuff like adblock and ghostery make PCGamer far more bearable)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: June 08, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQX6qBiCu9E

Whoa...

Insults...

Duels...

Super sexy UI...

Shitty Gwailo pronunciations of our names...

Whoa...

I desperately hope there is Chinese audio though.

But goddamn. Fucking duels. Oh my god.

----

Incidentally, I like that thing on the bottom left that tells you stuff about the battle.

I am curious if they will have flooding mechanics though (or fire). Both were used heavily in Three Kingdoms. For example, here in Xiapi, Cao Cao defeated Lu Bu by drowning his forces.

A very historically accurate representation of the siege: https://youtu.be/uBBVPSsFCUc?t=35s

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: June 08, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »

It's just me, or 8 freaking trebuchets just punched straight trough few meters thick stone wall and promptly collapsed it in one volley? That's the whole new level of "walls are useless".   :o
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 277