Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 484496 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3540 on: January 31, 2019, 04:24:29 pm »

The article seems more interested in going 'aha! GW sucks because it's not original!' rather than exploring the inspirations in more detail. It doesn't seem to understand that the stuff that inspired 40k was in turn drawing from earlier material - it really sounds like that the author thinks fictional works are created in a vacuum of pure originality. That's the feeling I'm getting from the tone, anyway - granted, works like 40k are more derivative than others, but eh. That GW took from Starship Troopers for its Space Marines doesn't mean that Blizzard wasn't in turn taking from those Space Marines specifically, either. There's layers and layers of inspiration and derivation up in there for sure, and I don't think that 'ripping off' something really has much bearing on a work's quality, in the end.

I don't know about Fantasy, but early 40k was some definitely wild. Lion El'Jonson and the Dark Angels were named after Lionel Johnson and his 'Dark Angel' poem.  I've seen people claim that the Primarch Angron was named after the bouncer of a local pub called 'Angry Ron', though it seems to me more likely that they just thought 'hey, what would be a good name for a really angry dude? Hmm...'. There were Inquisitors named Obiwan Sherlock Clousseau. Half-Eldar Ultramarine hybrids existed. It feels like they just threw in every in-joke and cool thing they could think of, and now decades later they have to maintain a consistent setting on this legacy. It's great.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: February 01, 2019, 12:18:00 am »

So there I was, I've got Karl Franz and 3 captains, 4 spearmen, 4 halberds, 4 crossbows and 3 pistoliers.
On the other side we have surtha ek with 5 chariots and 3 icewolf chariots, along with a clutch of marauders and spearmen.

Holy crap was it one of the most intense fights I've ever done. I had to make a little box far inside of a clump of trees in order to give me some chance of slowing those chariots down, which sort of worked, but quality has a quantity of its own. Killed four units of chariots, and knocked the others down to two or one models each. Still lost though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: February 01, 2019, 12:23:03 pm »

Settra go home; Surtha Ek is the true chariot king.

That said, I've not played a huge amount of Imperial, so why so many captains?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: February 01, 2019, 12:44:16 pm »

Captains can be specced into becoming an aerial hit-squad for your amy, thus giving the Empire some aerial power, one of the few areas where they lack.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: February 01, 2019, 01:46:53 pm »

Captains can be specced into becoming an aerial hit-squad for your amy, thus giving the Empire some aerial power, one of the few areas where they lack.
Captains get griffins now? I haven't played Empire in so long so I have no idea.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: February 01, 2019, 03:04:10 pm »

Captains get griffins now? I haven't played Empire in so long so I have no idea.
They've had Pegasi mounts as an option for ages.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: February 01, 2019, 03:53:40 pm »

They've had Pegasi mounts as an option for ages.
I think they don't get griffons, no, but pegasus is still fine for dive-bombing.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: February 03, 2019, 01:44:20 pm »

Captains are probably the easiest hero in the whole game to mass produce, considering it only takes a lvl 3 barracks and those recruit such a large variety of units there's not much downside to having one in every province.  Plus Karl Franz gets advantages recruiting them.

If you want to go with the areal hit squad, mix in a beasts mage.  AFAIK its the only imperial hero to get a griffon.  Plus if you overcast his two buffs you can make your flying units faster and harder to kill.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: February 03, 2019, 01:47:40 pm »

Aerial hit squad. Swooping in and assassinating those goddamn Vampire Lords and Necromancers so the foot sloggers can do nothing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: February 03, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »

Actually it was because i’d just confederated a ton of provinces and they seemed to love their captains.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: February 04, 2019, 07:30:31 am »

Any tips for stopping the green tide? I'm playing as lizardmen and north of me the greenskins expanded unchecked for a good 100 turns. I thought I had better intervene before  they got too out of control but I fear I might have been too late. For every stack I kill three more march down from the mountains. They've broken through my front line and there are armies roaming around my territory sacking and razing everything. I have no problem fighting them, one of my stacks can wipe 2+ of theirs, but they seem to build them up faster than I can knock them down.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: February 04, 2019, 11:02:46 am »

Any tips for stopping the green tide? I'm playing as lizardmen and north of me the greenskins expanded unchecked for a good 100 turns. I thought I had better intervene before  they got too out of control but I fear I might have been too late. For every stack I kill three more march down from the mountains. They've broken through my front line and there are armies roaming around my territory sacking and razing everything. I have no problem fighting them, one of my stacks can wipe 2+ of theirs, but they seem to build them up faster than I can knock them down.
Send another stack to raze/capture their cities while their stacks are on the field?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: February 04, 2019, 10:35:08 pm »

Just kill their stacks.  Greenskins have a snowball mechanic, which is fightiness.  If their armies start to win victories they'll get leadership bonuses and also spawn large waaagh stacks which will reek even more havoc.  On the other hand if you defeat them and force a retreat they'll end up at low fightiness, suffering attrition.  Also unlike lizardmen (who can dump near-infinite amounts of money into making their buildings better) Greenskin buildings kinda suck and their passive income isn't going to be amazing.  They're a hybrid of a horde and a normal faction, and need to keep conquering things to sustain their armies.  If you push them back eventually they'll run out of steam.  Also on the topic of them being a horde, as lizards you'll want to defend river crossings and mountain passes.  The Greenskin AI is absolutely confident and aggressive enough to attack you on those and you'll get the maps with two little bridges, allowing you to use sauruses/dinos to take out their calvalry, negating their best advantage.

My rule of thumb for fighting Greenskins is as long as I'm taking territory *somewhere*, that's a win.  Even if its one army taking one settlement every 10 turns.  As long as you're making some kind of progress and they aren't, at some point things will snap into place and you'll start annihilating them.

For what its worth, fighting Greenskins is the #1 form of diplomacy in the game.  Everyone in the area will love you, like expect to meet Skaven and Undead with happy little green faces and "+200: military actions against Greenskins".  Try to leverage that by getting allies, which will give you vision.  Keep track of who looks like they're in danger and who isn't fighting the green tide, give the latter military coordination goals on a settlement and eventually they'll send a stack over to say hi.  It'll keep the heat off of you.  Also if you haven't already, get a port on the west side of the continent (you're Last Defenders, right?) and make trade deals with everyone.  There's a lot of money to be made there, especially for lizardmen who get a trade good off of gold in addition to the gold itself.  Which BTW scout around a bit and find settlements that have gold, since Greenskins don't trade and their eco buildings aren't good, stealing (or razing) their gold mines will create a huge income swing in your favor.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: February 05, 2019, 03:25:40 am »

Currently had to hand-hold the Dwarves in pushing back from Karak Kadrin all the way south against the orks. They're great at snowballing once they get a certain number of territories behind them.

But yeah it's the same thing. They're probably pulling armies from another front right now so as soon as you nix them it should be back to the status quo.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:04 pm »

Hey, I'm just dropping by to say that I'm playing Vampire Coast, and I've discovered someone with the name MOTHERFUCKIN "JIMBO NUTT"

I think I've just found Noctilus' second in command.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 277