Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 483870 times)

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3600 on: May 08, 2019, 08:32:56 am »

Been getting a crash to desktop glitch when I try to autoresolve against greenskins lately. Happened with empire and lizardmen so far, both times in fights between goblins and minor settlements of mine.

Truly, Orcs' never defeated.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: May 15, 2019, 06:38:54 am »

The next patch has been announced and stated to be released tomorrow. Called the Amethyst Update is addresses issues that people have been having since the last patch as well as adding a new unit, the Amethyst Wizard for the Empire. This will only be usable for players with the Mortal Empires campaign which means you need to own both Warhammer 1 and 2. A little odd that they wouldn't add the Amethyst Wizard to Warhammer 1 as well.

Amethyst Wizard: Just for those who might not know. The Amethyst Wizard is a wizard that casts spells from the lore of Death. That means Purple Suns of Xerus, Life Leech and Doom and Darkness which should give the Empire even more flexibility magic wise. The only wizard type missing now is the Gold Wizard with the lore of Metal, aside from Balthasar Gelt that is.

Link to blog post about update.

Spoiler: Patch Notes: (click to show/hide)

Some big changes are:
Mournguls no longer cause Terror.
Cygor: +800 health, +35 base melee damage, +15 ap melee damage.

There's also the renaming of the settlements and areas that Tiktaq'to starts in to areas that make more sense for that area of Araby, rather than the relocation of Tlaqua from the Southlands to across the gulf into Araby.

Quite a few changes to the Underempire system as well. Generally an increase in food costs for buildings and a decrease in food production. An increase from 10 to 15 for Hero discoverability and an increase in discoverability for the Doomsphere and Warcamp buildings. The A.I. should now also remove undercities more often.
There's also an increase in Warp Fuel for the Forbidden Workshop upgrades as well as Doom Warprocket purchaces.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: May 15, 2019, 08:39:06 am »

If they were going to add it to Warhammer 1, they'd probably have to add all the VC, Empire, and Bretonia Mortal Empires changes too. Its disappointing, because Mortal Empires is super PC intensive, but I can understand why they're doing it. Warhammer 2 is the big money maker for them right now.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: May 17, 2019, 09:42:01 am »

So, I'd grabbed 2 on sale, but not 1. Is Mortal Empires worth getting 1 for, even if I probably won't play 1 on its own?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: May 17, 2019, 09:54:06 am »

I like mortal empires best, but you could always just play the vortex campaign first and see if WH1 comes on sale later.  Its probably almost time for a Steam spring sale anyway.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: May 17, 2019, 09:59:52 am »

The main thing I've heard from a friend that has Mortal Empires is that its a lot more PC intensive then either base game because its two games worth of factions. Otherwise, if you like at least two of Warhammer, Total War, and giant maps to expand on, then you'll probably like it. It also essentially doubles the factions you can play as (if you include the first game's DLCs).
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: May 17, 2019, 11:09:08 am »

Ok. So sounds like I should start with base 2 then and maybe grab 1 when it goes on a big sale.

Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: May 19, 2019, 12:44:53 pm »

So, I'd grabbed 2 on sale, but not 1. Is Mortal Empires worth getting 1 for, even if I probably won't play 1 on its own?

I'd say it's definitely, definitely worth it if you have a fast SSD and moderately fast computer. The WH1 races were probably better overall (at least in terms of different play styles) and mortal empires is a ton of fun. A lot of the match ups between WH1 and WH2 races are really interesting - Dwarves vs Skaven for instance is a classic.

However,  it absolutely requires an SSD as its 5+ minute turns even early on without.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: May 19, 2019, 12:53:56 pm »

Hmm, well, my computer is reasonably fast but my games don't live on an SSD. So that's good to know. My C drive is SSD, but not that big. Maybe I'll see if I can make enough room on it.
Come play Mafia with us!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: May 19, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »

I've never had turns that long on my rather average, non-SSD laptop. A minute or two, sure - and that already sucks. But not over 5.

Also, re the mortal empires campaign - if you really, really love the vortex map, you might be disappointed by how trimmed it is in ME.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: May 19, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »

Hmm, well, my computer is reasonably fast but my games don't live on an SSD. So that's good to know. My C drive is SSD, but not that big. Maybe I'll see if I can make enough room on it.

An SSD is an absolute necessity for TW:Warhammer - even if you're just playing the vortex campaign you'll 100% need it on an SSD. I tried to play the first one (which is much less intensive) off an HDD and by the second half of the campaign I was looking at 10 minutes between turns and a good 5 minutes before each battle. Switched over to an SSD and about 30 seconds per turn and battles are nearly instant.

Edit for Il Palazzo: your laptop will probably have an SSD, a hybrid drive of some sort or a very fast 'smart' HDD; there aren't many laptops (certainly not ones around that can run TW2) which will have a 'traditional' HDD like you find in many desktop PCs.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: May 19, 2019, 01:22:44 pm »

Thanks, I know what's in my old laptop, and it's a HDD. Is 5400 rpm "very fast" or "smart", though - that I don't know.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: May 19, 2019, 01:45:20 pm »

One thing I found that actually speeds up load times is to downgrade the graphical settings. I don't have an SSD, but turns still go acceptably fast (about 2-3 minutes on Mortal Empires, less on Vortex).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: May 19, 2019, 02:40:21 pm »

Thanks, I know what's in my old laptop, and it's a HDD. Is 5400 rpm "very fast" or "smart", though - that I don't know.

I'm not doubting you know whats in your laptop, but there's a big difference between an old SATA I 1.5gb/s 4800rpm hard drive and a SATA III 6gb/s 7200 HDD (it's unsurprisingly roughly three times faster). Similarly, many laptop drives are 'standard HDDs' but they have an SSD cache or are at least at the very top end of the SATA spectrum.

My warning was because many people have Desktops with older SATA HDDs (I did) whereas most modern (and even not so modern) laptops have much faster drives as standard.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #3614 on: May 21, 2019, 03:49:45 am »

The disk will mostly affect loading screens (battles, game start, etc.) - unless you are so low on memory that the OS starts swapping it shouldn't affect turn resolution speed. And if you've reached that point, I don't think disk speed is the biggest issue.

However, cpu and graphical settings will affect turn time. Depending on the combination of cpu, gpu and settings, it is posssible to become bottlenecked on cpu or gpu, so there is no fixed answer as to what settings will give you the best result. But you can experiment to find what works best and still looks ok.

My anecdotal experience with Total War: Warhammer 2 is that cpu speed makes the biggest difference by far in turn speed.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 277