Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 484736 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #3795 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:45 pm »

Just parking all your non-missile troops in front of your missile troops, putting your missile troops on guard mode, and covering your flanks so cavalry/other melee units can't flank around behind to attack your missile troops, usually does the job. Unless you're categorically outnumbered on the melee front, or the melee you're trying to hold back grossly outclasses your own troops, they'll be able to hold the line pretty well while your archers just pour arrows into the infantry. Shields are great but if you fire enough shots, eventually they're not going to block. (The "Goblin Shortbow Rule" of table top Warhammer.)

Just watched LotTW smoke an entire dwarf army of slayers and longbeards with nothing but a couple heroes delaying the infantry, three units of basic sword melee that almost got instantly crushed, and a fuckload of regular peasant bowmen, which do not have great missile fire. (I don't believe they had plague arrows.) Despite all that, he still won and that's about as lopsided a fight as I can imagine.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3796 on: December 04, 2020, 03:41:23 pm »

Right, third attempt got me a technical win of the campaign on Vortex, all I gotta do is murder clan Moulder, which should be a cakewalk and an exercise in wasting time since I pretty got my doomstack (and it's fairly diverse but leaning heavily on stag knigths, hawk riders and assorted missile units with a few dragons and heroes thrown in). Final battle thing was fairly easy, wasn't clear cut at first as the skaven kinda bumrush your but once I got some spells and abilities off they crumbled fairly easily. Then the chaos comes in and it's even more of a joke. Fun bit of info, 4 hawk riders using their volley ability on a snared chaos lord/sorcerer on a dragon is enough to chunk some 90% of it's hp and instantly rout the poor bastard.
I'm guessing you could easily push the hawk riders further into broken if you ran more of them in combination with a few more heroes to provide the extra snares.

Anyways, I'm still not entirely sold on the WE what with their lack of proper siege stuff and kinda lackluster options in terms of unit variety (they do get a bit of everything but it feels so meh compared to pretty much every other faction, tho I guess that's because they haven't really had proper updates until now).

Also also, further thoughts on the forge stuff, pretty eh, you get most of the stuff fairly quickly and until they implement the rework I'd say only a single option is really viable in the long term, even if it does offer weaker rewards.
Also also also, is it just me or is Ariel kinda bloody overloaded in terms of skills/abilities/kit in general. Like, I get she's supposed to be a legendary hero and super special and powerful but she gets so much shit to choose from as well as being able to do so much in terms of magic and active skills that every other hero of the faction looks rather shit, like the poor wayfinder dudes which have barely enough skillpoints to take up the full 40 points.

Anyways anyways, on to the real meat of the DLC, the big bad glutton rat, super stoked to play around with the mutation stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3797 on: December 04, 2020, 07:49:46 pm »

Just curious what you mean by lack of siege stuff.

Having not really read the whole wiki or anything, I often assumed you needed something special to destroy gates. Then I think I was playing DEs or something and had basically just infantry, missiles and two bolt throwers. Without any real options, I just set a couple spearmen on the gate and was surprised how long it didn't take them to break it down. Maybe it was a low level wall or something. Still, I just think about sieges in terms of if I have enough meat to take the fortress now. Battering rams and actual units that deal good damage to walls, actual artillery, are all just "nice to haves." On normal. Against the AI.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3798 on: December 04, 2020, 11:17:09 pm »

Hey real quick: For Mortal Empires, What exactly starts the chain to get Ariel?
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3799 on: December 04, 2020, 11:47:50 pm »

Another nice option for Wood Elf sieges is having a branchwraith with points in damage walls. I think you can get up to about 6 holes created in enemy walls with full points and a trait you get from several successful attempts.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3800 on: December 05, 2020, 10:56:17 am »

I'm pretty sure you just get Ariel in ME from healing a forest for the first time.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: December 05, 2020, 12:10:26 pm »

Yeah I think it's healing any forest that gives her in ME, tho I haven't played that yet.

And what I meant by lack of proper siege was something heavy and shooty like mortars, bolt throwers or plagueclaws. Stuff that can damage both towers and walls and is pretty good at murdering any garrisoning units afterwards. Sure they have nice archers and the hawks are pretty sweet, but they both usually need to be within murder range to do any damage.

Dunno, this might just be tons of hours playing factions with proper artillery and not being used to going without. Probably one of the reasons why I disliked the greenskins as they're a fairly aggressive and melee focused army, while my mindset is usually to hunker down and shoot anything that tries to touch me :V
AS - IG

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: December 05, 2020, 12:14:32 pm »

Yeah I think it's healing any forest that gives her in ME, tho I haven't played that yet.

And what I meant by lack of proper siege was something heavy and shooty like mortars, bolt throwers or plagueclaws. Stuff that can damage both towers and walls and is pretty good at murdering any garrisoning units afterwards. Sure they have nice archers and the hawks are pretty sweet, but they both usually need to be within murder range to do any damage.

Dunno, this might just be tons of hours playing factions with proper artillery and not being used to going without. Probably one of the reasons why I disliked the greenskins as they're a fairly aggressive and melee focused army, while my mindset is usually to hunker down and shoot anything that tries to touch me :V
Greenskins have great artillery though. Doom diver might be the best in the game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: December 05, 2020, 12:16:10 pm »

It's a high tier meme tho :V

Like, a single plagueclaw is going to do just as much if not more, much earlier in the game (while also probably being cheaper, can't remember their prices/upkeep atm)

Edit:

Unrelated thing I meant to comment on earlier but forgot. Is it just me or is the escaped greenskin slaves event kind of shit in the vortex campaign? You fight a fairly tough DE army (for early game anyway, mostly because they're just as missile heavy as you so you will take casualties) and then every now and then a single province in naggarond will get the event that damages some buildings and reduces their slave numbers. Not sure if it was something bugged or if that's all there is to it, but I was expecting something more developed I guess? Something you can maybe interact with down the line a bit?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 12:31:41 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: December 05, 2020, 08:26:28 pm »

Tried out the sisters and... I managed to defeat Morathi because the hawk rider ability is just absurd.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: December 11, 2020, 06:58:59 am »

Did a Vortex Throt playthrough last night, was fairly short as you can pretty easily take the key settlements with one or two armies (and it's real easy to get armies up to strength with the free vat units) and the stuff the WE send after you is pretty laughable. Free abominations every couple of turns is pretty wack as it turns out, and Throt is a pretty decent fighter all things considered.

Would've won the entire campaign if only my army didn't rout before Throt managed to run to the edge of the map, useless bunch of gits can't even handle multiple WE armies :V
AS - IG

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: December 12, 2020, 12:01:49 pm »

but I was expecting something more developed I guess?

Congrats. You just summarized the entirety of the sisters campaign.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: February 02, 2021, 11:29:10 am »

Rise from thine grave!

CA has dropped a bunch of teasers.

Total Warhammer 3 time, now with Kislev.

Kislev

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: February 02, 2021, 12:34:21 pm »

Now kisslev!
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: February 03, 2021, 10:14:12 am »

Trailer out

According to CA, there'll be 6 core races (plus a pre-order one, ugh). These six are Kislev, Khorne, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Nurgle and... Cathay.

Also have stated there will still be one DLC for Warhammer 2 this year, so Beastmen/Warriors still have some hope.

No Ogres (unless they are the pre-order dlc) so at least I can yell: "IT'S RAW!"
Pages: 1 ... 252 253 [254] 255 256 ... 277