Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 485052 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2015, 02:32:03 am »

I really, really hope that they'll probably include all the ones mentioned in the trailer (men, dwarves, orcs, undead, chaos) - it'll seem a bit disingenuous if they don't. I'd imagine skaven and elves will be the DLC packs, as I doubt any other races are popular enough to warrant being DLC.

They are. Articles are mentioning that the developers confirmed Orcs and Goblins, Empire, Vampire Counts, Dwarves as being in the game. They haven't specifically mentioned Chaos but that a power in the north is gathering.

From Rock Paper Shotgun: "Initial details from publisher SEGA confirm the game will include the Empire (under Karl Franz), the Greenskins (under Grimgor Ironhide), the Dwarfs (under High King Thorgrim) and the Vampire Counts (under Mannfred von Carstien). Chaos, whether Tzeentch or not, isn’t mentioned by name, but it does say here that “a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle” so yeah, Chaos is in there too."

What are the other races? Bretonnia, Skaven, High Elves, Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Beastmen, possibly Khorne, Nurgle and Slaneesh.
The only unlikely factions I would think would be Chaos Dwarves, Kislev (unless they're added as part of the Empire), Border Princes and really distant ones like Nippon and Cathay. Though I think it all depends upon the scope of the campaign map. Will it be the Empire area (which all the factions confirmed are/can be located in) or will it extend further west and south?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2015, 04:05:39 am »

This is all assuming they won't fit them in as either extra units under another faction or make them mercenaries.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2015, 04:33:45 am »

How could I have forgotten to ptw this thread last time I saw it? I almost missed all these news!

Anyway, I could definitely see them releasing the three Elven races as a DLC. Likely make them all part of the same faction tree, like they've done with DLCs for Rome 2 and Attila.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2015, 04:38:14 am »

How could I have forgotten to ptw this thread last time I saw it? I almost missed all these news!

Anyway, I could definitely see them releasing the three Elven races as a DLC. Likely make them all part of the same faction tree, like they've done with DLCs for Rome 2 and Attila.

Ohh yeah I forgot about that silliness.

Just have them all be the exact same race... except with 1 or 2 additions or changes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2015, 04:49:00 am »

Ohh yeah I forgot about that silliness.

Just have them all be the exact same race... except with 1 or 2 additions or changes.

High Elves and Dark Elves are pretty similar with the base troops. Remembering, they both have spearmen, archers for HE/Repeater Xbows for DE and greatswords with the Swordmasters of Hoeth/Executioners. Cold Ones/Silver Helms. The more monsterous units is where things get very different with HEs having dragons and phoenixes while DEs have warhydras and harpies.

Wood Elves are rather different with base troops that are archers supported by melee dryads and war dancers. Though, my knowledge is about 8 years out of touch so more units may have been added to fill gaps. Looking I can see there's more cavalry for Wood Elves along with greatswords and spearmen now.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:23 am »

Yeah, they are "similiar" in that the basic troop types are pretty close to each other. But I really hope that doesnt translate into both basically having the same units. I think there is a lot of variation in terms of looks, banners etc. Not to mention that the speeches and banter would need to be adjusted. It's a bad stereotype that all Elves are basically the same, and I hope they actually take the flavor from Warhammer Elves into the game. Particularly with Dark Elves.

Pardon me for Fanboying a bit, but I'm practically sitting on nails. I'm SO curious how the different races will play. Will we get Horde mechanics for Greenskins and Chaos? How will magic work? And by god, I hope they bring pre-battle speeches into this.

Waaaghboss: "Strategery sez, biggah is bettah. And We'z the biggest there is!"
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Nick K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 23, 2015, 06:49:27 am »

I definitely hope that Chaos is playable. It sounds a little like they might be setting it up as a "realm-divide" style endgame challenge. I do think it's good to do something to make the endgame more difficult like STW2's realm divide or RTW's civil war - in Napoleon, by the time you had the lategame units the campaign was basically over. Chaos was my army when me & my mates played tabletop as kids though and I definitely want to be able to play as them.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2015, 07:50:25 am »

I guess we can always hope that the factions will have greater unit variance than say Attila or R, even if they're under the same "faction umbrella". It could also be that they're saving these for DLC because they need greater variance than for example the Empire. But that would actually be a good cause for dlc so that can't be it.
Love, scriver~

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2015, 09:42:55 pm »

There is literally zero reason for anyone to be complaining about "content packs" or DLC whoring from CA.

For one, we know that's a thing now adays. That's fine.

For another, and most importantly, we can always pirate the shit out of the game. I absolutely love Warhammer, and I'm sure this game is going to scratch my Warhammer itch. However, I'll be torrenting this. I'll be torrenting every DLC they try to suck out of me.

Unless it's some obscure game that no one bothers to throw on TPB, there is no reason to cry about DLC packs and the like. You can get any major title for free given ~5 hours of free time. Welcome to the internet.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2015, 01:59:55 am »

There is literally zero reason for anyone to be complaining about "content packs" or DLC whoring from CA.

For one, we know that's a thing now adays. That's fine.

For another, and most importantly, we can always pirate the shit out of the game. I absolutely love Warhammer, and I'm sure this game is going to scratch my Warhammer itch. However, I'll be torrenting this. I'll be torrenting every DLC they try to suck out of me.

Unless it's some obscure game that no one bothers to throw on TPB, there is no reason to cry about DLC packs and the like. You can get any major title for free given ~5 hours of free time. Welcome to the internet.

I'd prefer it to be a good game and be able to support it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2015, 07:34:14 am »

4 playable races...lol!  :D
I never liked the DLC model, but who does? It's the perfect way to leech money from the customers [Hey, Paradox Interactive! ;)], even tho I don't plan to buy DLCs for a TW game anyway, but I suppose the hardcore TW playerbase will. I might be interested in the expansion packs IF the vanilla game will be good enough.

PS.
I always blamed platforms like Steam for the [paid] DLC model.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:50 am »

blame the internet...not steam

dlc is the natural progression after expansion packs. I just hate the price/content ratio these days

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2015, 08:13:32 am »

Games are made on budgets. You only have so much cash to do something. Making a game is neither easy nor cheap. If there was no dlc, we'd be locked to content made prior to release. Dlcs allow developers to keep making content while also paying the bills. Day1 dlc is something else though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2015, 08:27:45 am »

Games are made on budgets. You only have so much cash to do something. Making a game is neither easy nor cheap. If there was no dlc, we'd be locked to content made prior to release. Dlcs allow developers to keep making content while also paying the bills. Day1 dlc is something else though.
Or they could just do expansion packs like decent developer.

Basically more Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, less Elite Units of the East, please.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2015, 08:33:46 am »

4 playable races...lol!  :D

If Rome2 and Attila is anything to go by, there'll be several subfactions per faction.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 277