Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 480920 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 04:44:32 pm »

Ten years ago I still had unshakeable confidence in Total War brand. Less so these days. But maybe this change of setting is what TW needs. I remain hopeful.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »

Well, yeah, but what I mean is that by necessity a high-profile release demands a degree of effort and commitment, and besides that the change of setting demands a new system. Differentiated character models and the like. I fail to see how even Creative Assembly can get away with a reskin when it comes to something that's both rather different than their previous settings and also something people pay such close attention to detail with. At the minimum, they'd have to rework the combat and modelling systems to support things like ogres, flyers, magic, high-rate-of-fire ranged weapons, and the like.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »

Ten years ago I still had unshakeable confidence in Total War brand. Less so these days. But maybe this change of setting is what TW needs. I remain hopeful.

10 years ago? Wow. What about Empire, napoleon, and Shogun 2? Those games were awesome!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:07 pm »

Posting to watch. It'll probably be forever before I get a PC powerful enough to actually play this, but I can enjoy the reactions of everyone else in the thread. Good or bad.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 09:15:21 am »

Soooo.... I've finally actually RTFArticle, and not sure what to think about it.

This was a minor line in an art book.  Maybe it is a meaningful and intentional leak, maybe some artist is just talking about the projects he did some concept art for.

Maybe CA cranked out a few art assets when they bid for a license to the property, but decided not to run with it.

Maybe CA got a license to the property, did a little work, but still might not develop a full game.

Maybe (conspiracy nut alert) this is an intentional leak to "test the waters" and see how much hype comes out of it, afterwards they will decide if they want to continue developing.

Or, maybe, it is coming out in two months and everyone should pee themselves.

Personally, I always make a point of peeing myself JUST IN CASE some situation might arise wherein peeing would be merited.  Preemptive peeing, if you will.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 11:41:43 am »

Soooo.... I've finally actually RTFArticle, and not sure what to think about it.

This was a minor line in an art book.  ...

Yeah, that was my impression of the reporting also...  yet another case of Teh Gaemz Jurnaliztz taking a minor tidbit and blowing it out of proportion, for the sake of filling a slow news day.

That said, Sega got their hands on Relic not that long ago... who already had an existing relationship with GW on licensing.  GW also seems to be more open minded to licensing in general recently.  I think it is very plausible that Sega could've gotten Relic's access extended to Creative Assembly also.  Meetings and pitches probably still had to be done, sure, but when you've got the inside track to the licensing liaison, the whole process is a lot easier.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 12:54:28 pm »

._.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 01:58:35 pm »

high-rate-of-fire ranged weapons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03zds8JMHQ

uh

hehe, yeah.  I can imagine most of the game components being handled by the core mechanics available in Empire TW.  Pike formations, cavalry, guns, canons.

Even the multiple maps I was prattling about -- you could take the different theater maps and make one an overworld and one an underworld.  Instead of connecting them at the map edges, you'd connect them at cities.

I think everything can be done, it is just such a massive departure in terms of strategic gameplay.  Or at least, it could be.  Which could be good.

And I could be equivocating.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 04:25:59 pm »

high-rate-of-fire ranged weapons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u03zds8JMHQ

uh

hehe, yeah.  I can imagine most of the game components being handled by the core mechanics available in Empire TW.  Pike formations, cavalry, guns, canons.

Even the multiple maps I was prattling about -- you could take the different theater maps and make one an overworld and one an underworld.  Instead of connecting them at the map edges, you'd connect them at cities.

I think everything can be done, it is just such a massive departure in terms of strategic gameplay.  Or at least, it could be.  Which could be good.

And I could be equivocating.
Figures they're in the games I either haven't bothered or don't want to play. I continue to cite ogres, battlewheels, and the like.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »

The TWcenter forums for Total War is full of people raging. If you want a good laugh, go through all the ragers. Haven't stepped into the official forums yet, I don't feel like laughing that much as they are probably even more funny. :P

With that said, I too wish it was 40k...but this is still really cool. They probably wanted a more fantasy theme (its requested a lot) and not so much a sci-fi one (which doesn't get requested nearly as much).

I hope they do a good job, it could either be the best total war...or the worst (but I actually doubt it this time).
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »

The TWcenter forums for Total War is full of people raging. If you want a good laugh, go through all the ragers. Haven't stepped into the official forums yet, I don't feel like laughing that much as they are probably even more funny. :P
Could we, perhaps, get a summary of the main cause of rage?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 05:36:49 pm »

Could we, perhaps, get a summary of the main cause of rage?
I'll sum it up with what I've read.

warhammer tabletop are toys for kids who like to play paint the "dolls".

only nerds like warhammer

Total war has always been based on history! it is a series for mature gamers and now its going to be aiming for kids

I hate warhammer. This series is really going down hill.

That pretty much sums up all the ragers. Though most posts are being deleted now I noticed.

My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 05:38:56 pm »

Seems about par for the course in the land of the neckbeard.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 05:39:07 pm »

Heh.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:32 pm »

Aren't Skaven cities something that is possbile by the WH lore?

Oh, yeah, totally.  They are just underneath all the cities of Man.

They have cities and travel networks under the entire world, just like Drow or something like that.  Humans cant really interact with it, there is not really any such thing as an "invasion".

I'm not sure what excuses they come up with to field skaven armies in the wargame, but there isn't a whole lot of reason for them to wage wars for territory in the above world.  They are interested in taking slaves, stealing food, and seeking out warpstone.  Aside from that, I think they could kind of not give a f--- about the surface world.

You could totally have a skaven-vs-skaven campaign.  But if the focus of the game is in the overworld, do you really think they'd draw a second world map for this?  And have it be largely irrelevant to the other factions? Maybe it would be an expansion?

Well you forget some things. Lorewise Skaven are in a constant War with Night Goblins and the Dwarves and since all three are basically below ground nations (remember the dwarves are mostly interested in their Lost Mountainhomes) it would indeed make sense to do a Second Layer to the World Map which runs underground. Also there is the Chaos Dwarves which i forgot.

But yeah lets hope they put some nice voice actors to it, get Necromancy to work correctly, add a second underworld layer for the Subterranean nations and we'll be set. And they could actually do interesting stories for the campaigns this time around.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 277