Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489170 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Out today!
« Reply #690 on: May 24, 2016, 11:32:42 am »

Neonivek is a marvel and a modern masterpiece. I don't think I've ever seen him positive about anything. These forums wouldn't be the same without him.

Getting to have a go at this in a bit. Probably starting as Vampire Counts for all that necromantic aristocratic goodness.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:36 pm »

I had some bizzare technical problems to start. Massive FPS drops, super long loading times, etc.

Turns out it was because of the shitty Denuvo DRM. So I started again in offline mode after updating my Nvidia drivers. Now it runs like a dream.

I have an i5 with GTX 970. Everything ultra except shadows (high) and antialiasing (MLAA). In battle zoomed up I get about 45fps. Outside it everything is 60fps.

--------------

Played a bunch of custom battles because I wanted to test the graphics but it was so fun I continued playing. Chaos is crazy. Their units are so, so, SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more expensive than everyone else's but they're so bleeding strong. I defeated a greenskin army 4x my size (seriously, I had 500 men and they had 2000). Vampire Counts are also a blast to play. You'd think they wouldn't have any voices but it turns out there's some sort of ethereal voice in the sky going "DIE DIE DIE" and stuff. Also they do some serious hurt. Cairn Wraiths are crazy. It's also amusing how Heinrich Kemmler keeps talking about Krell even though Krell isn't in the game (incoming DLC?).

Sigvald is awesome and hilarious. His shield also actually reflects the terrain...

I noticed everyone routs really easily now. I normally don't mind low morale but this is a bit excessive I think. I'd like to mod it out. However, I noticed that because everyone routs so easily, it's a good idea to have some shitty fast moving units like bats around just to harass all the routers so they never come back. I sent a Chaos Champion on a manticore to harass Karl Franz a bit. The dude routed in like... 20 seconds. He was at 3/4ths hp too. He never came back either... just flew off the map. Dude, you're supposed to be a paragon of Chaos. Wtf is your cowardice?

My initial impressions with flying units is that they're a great tactical asset but almost worthless in a melee fight. So you should only ever use them to flank things and kill off ranged. Or in the case of bats, just to bog down dudes and chase people around.

I also really like the ability to remove foliage. I can actually see inside the forests!

------------

I think CA gave copies of the game early to all the modders as well. There are so many on launch.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 24, 2016, 12:59:55 pm »

I know modders and streamers got it early, yeah.

Hotfix has killed my sound and made the game stutter constantly, where it was working fine on release. mildly annoyed.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:17 pm »

I know modders and streamers got it early, yeah.

Hotfix has killed my sound and made the game stutter constantly, where it was working fine on release. mildly annoyed.
Alt tab when it happens and it should fix it.

Apparently it has something to do with Nvidia drivers (and lack thereof)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 24, 2016, 02:05:35 pm »

Reviews are extremely mixed on steam. Apparently the game has a lot of technical problems and bugs

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 24, 2016, 02:14:19 pm »

Reviews are extremely mixed on steam. Apparently the game has a lot of technical problems and bugs
Mostly Nvidia-related, it seems. I've yet to see any problems. I can't judge how good the AI is because I myself am pretty bad at the game.

Playing empire (Karl Franz). Took perhaps too long to kill the secessionists since I had to chase a savage orc mob all over reikland. Still, they're done for and Averland is next.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:18:24 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22:38 pm »

I seem to be suffering from these Nvidia-related problems myself. The start game window claims I don't have up-to-date drivers even after updating and there's constant lag in the game. Strangely enough, changing graphics level does absolutely nothing (and the game autosets them to High) and the game processes stuff like other faction stuff and loading times really fast. This is... quite frustrating. I think I'm gonna have to wait for more patches.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 24, 2016, 02:23:16 pm »

Yeah, I got them stutters, too. Gonna have to update my drivers before I go to work.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:54 pm »

I don't know anything about Warhammer, but I'm a big RTT fan so I'm interested in the game. Could someone that has played TW:W compare and contrast it to older Total War titles, please?
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 24, 2016, 02:31:18 pm »

Guys with nvidia stuttering. Alt tab out the game.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: May 24, 2016, 02:33:42 pm »

Played my first game as dwarfs, playing Grimnir Ironfistaxebeard because screw playing as someone who can't get off their chair.
Things went fairly well at first, then massive debt and a slew of grudges. I was keeping my head above water barely, helping my dwarfport neighbour fend off Grimgor's waaagh.

Friend wanted to play co-op, I was like "sweet!".
A half-hour of soft-freezes later, and I'm in. We wanted to play vampire counts together, but unfortunately the game doesn't go for that. So, bearing in mind various corruption mechanics which would've made playing co-op downright awful, he went empire, and I went dwarfs again, this time with chairman.

Complete turnaround. The fellow clans were standoffish yet hyperconpetent, I managed to snag the city of brightgold to the north-east, and still return in a timely manner, and the early access to siege weapons meant that within 20 turns I had bitchslapped grimgor out of his big boots and taken almost every Orc city south of me whilst paying off a cool 3000 to my empire ally every turn for shiggles, because we were so far apart it was essentially the only help I could give.

Unsure if it's an unbalance of the legendary leaders or just blind luck, as the difficulty was the exact same both times.

But yes, would very much like to play co-op as two seperate roving hordes of chaos.

(Some IP's may be slightly different in the above novella because despite playing for 12 hours the names of most people simply haven't sunk in.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 02:35:49 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 24, 2016, 02:36:00 pm »

Played my first game as dwarfs, playing Gringor Ironfistaxebeard because screw playing as someone who can't get off their chair.
Things went fairly well at first, then massive debt and a slew of grudges. I was keeping my head above water barely, helping my dwarfport neighbour fend off Grimgor's waaagh.

Friend wanted to play co-op, I was like "sweet!".
A half-hour of soft-freezes later, and I'm in. We wanted to play vampire counts together, but unfortunately the game doesn't go for that. So, bearing in mind various corruption mechanics which would've made playing co-op downright awful, he went empire, and I went dwarfs again, this time with chairman.

Complete turnaround. The fellow clans were standoffish yet hyperconpetent, I managed to snag the city of brightgold to the north-east, and still return in a timely manner, and the early access to siege weapons meant that within 20 turns I had bitchslapped grimgor out of his big boots and taken almost every Orc city south of me whilst paying off a cool 3000 to my empire ally every turn for shiggles, because we were so far apart it was essentially the only help I could give.

Unsure if it's an unbalance of the legendary leaders or just blind luck, as the difficulty was the exact same both times.

But yes, would very much like to play co-op as two seperate roving hordes of chaos.
There's a mod out that puts all legendary Lords at different starting positions so you can co-op the same faction.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 24, 2016, 02:41:41 pm »

-snip-
There's a mod out that puts all legendary Lords at different starting positions so you can co-op the same faction.
Though the mod doesn't extend to WoC, so keep that in mind.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:20 pm »

Now the game says you can only take SPECIFIC faction's holdings.

So what happens when you fight a faction's holdings that isn't your own?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 24, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »

Now the game says you can only take SPECIFIC faction's holdings.

So what happens when you fight a faction's holdings that isn't your own?
You can raze it or pillage it or download the mod that lets you capture it.

CA said they did that because it made no sense for humans to live in Karaks or Ork camps but made a day 1 mod available for people who want to do that.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 277