Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 489145 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2790 on: October 04, 2017, 08:09:16 am »

Huh. Must be Norscan units are treated like crap in autoresolve or something.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: October 04, 2017, 09:03:17 am »

So I finished my Skaven campaign.  Holy shit, that was intense.

I didn't know about the armies that spawned whenever you did a ritual, so that took me by surprise.  Two of my ritual cities were razed, and I didn't have enough money to colonize them... until I won a crux victory against the armies that razed my city, ransomed them and used that money to recolonize on the turn the ritual was over (!).

I found out that even if you lose the race you just have to win a quest battle to negate victory, which seemed silly to me, so I made a personal challenge to not let any other races win.  I ended up sending two full stacks to the high elves to take their capital, while the intervention armies burned another one of their cities.  They did a pretty smart move and seiged the capital, trapping one army inside while they curbstomped the other.  I knew I would lose, so my whole goal was to do enough damage to delay them.  In the end I managed to delay and damage their armies enough that they couldn't take on the intervention armies and retake their ritual city until after the ritual was done, allowing me to finish mine and win the campaign.

That was the most fun I have had in a total war game to date.  Really enjoyed it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: October 04, 2017, 10:37:24 am »

The Boat exploit seems to work only for Norse Units. If you engage anything else your poor ark will sink faster than you can look...i made that mistake at the most inopportune moment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: October 04, 2017, 10:49:15 am »

So is TW:WH1 worth trying now that 2 is out? Does TW:WH1 do anything standout that makes it worth playing, or is 2 just an upgrade from it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: October 04, 2017, 10:57:24 am »

Hmm... personally, I prefer Total Warhammer 1- but that may be because I like Dwarves more than Elves. Playing as Lizzos puts me in mind of blood bowl, as you have Skinks which are wet cardboard and the Saurus which are granite slabs with an intelligence to match- but the races are kind of "too" eclectic for someone who hasn't played 1.

That being said, when the Mortal Realms map comes out all bets are off- although sailing from Naggaroth to Tilea would probably be a heck of an enterprise.

Also very curious about how they're going to deal with Khemri's incredibly unusual placement when they make a big map. Are they going to pop it back over or just roll with it?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: October 04, 2017, 11:01:20 am »

So is TW:WH1 worth trying now that 2 is out? Does TW:WH1 do anything standout that makes it worth playing, or is 2 just an upgrade from it?

Well 1 let's you play empire, vampire undead, orxs, and dwarves  (and with DLC Wood Elves, Breton, variant dwarves, Beastmen, Chaos, and Norsca). I don't think you get to play as any of those in 2 (at least not until DLC hit, maybe).
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: October 04, 2017, 11:16:39 am »

Also, not sure if it's just me but I am getting really sick of having no "charge defense vs huge" units. I love that I can nail a dumb cavalry charge, but chariots or monsters blow straight through into the back of my lines no matter how insane my halberds are.

Really makes it hard to compete with a monster mash list- probably why VC's trumped WH1 in the ranked lists. I get that anti-monsters like skinwolves are neat, and I'll probably love Ironguts when OK comes out, but it is pretty annoying having to blow my whole strategy out of the water because "ohfuck bastilodon".
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 11:18:17 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: October 04, 2017, 12:19:40 pm »

Also, not sure if it's just me but I am getting really sick of having no "charge defense vs huge" units. I love that I can nail a dumb cavalry charge, but chariots or monsters blow straight through into the back of my lines no matter how insane my halberds are.

Really makes it hard to compete with a monster mash list- probably why VC's trumped WH1 in the ranked lists. I get that anti-monsters like skinwolves are neat, and I'll probably love Ironguts when OK comes out, but it is pretty annoying having to blow my whole strategy out of the water because "ohfuck bastilodon".
Brets are free
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: October 04, 2017, 12:32:44 pm »

TW:WH1 has more stuff.

This one is spiffier but more bugs and less stuff. Also the first game has more standard races (like humans). This one is quirkier. Though I'm sure the third game will be even quirkier still as that's like... just freakshows.

I think the campaign in the second one is better though but there are some UI decisions and bugs that really bug me.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: October 04, 2017, 12:44:12 pm »

Also, not sure if it's just me but I am getting really sick of having no "charge defense vs huge" units.
Brets are free
Blood Knights do it better, if you're talking about using cavalry anti-monsters.
But because monsters are kind of the bulwark an army forms around, and cavalry are the weaker flanking force which exists for back-charging, counter-cav and ranged harassment, the only way they'll poke monsters is if you charge into the centre of their army before the clash or charge straight through the back of your own pikes during.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: October 04, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »

Mages and artillery are supposed to be the monster counter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: October 04, 2017, 01:18:13 pm »

I rage-quit Bretonnia after like the second battle. I have no idea how to play them, their only good units are cavalry but if you build your army around those then you can't actually perform hammer and anvil tactics because your infantry is so pissy it will fold before you even get the cavalry in a flanking position.
Love, scriver~

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: October 04, 2017, 01:34:19 pm »

I rage-quit Bretonnia after like the second battle. I have no idea how to play them, their only good units are cavalry but if you build your army around those then you can't actually perform hammer and anvil tactics because your infantry is so pissy it will fold before you even get the cavalry in a flanking position.
How to play Bretonnia:

1. Build farms fucking everywhere with those windmills and shit for unlimited money
2. Conquer Marienberg and every port you can find for more unlimited money
3. Infantry? What is that?
4. Build only cavalry. Maybe flying if you're feeling fancy.
5. Charge!
6. If enemy not dead, repeat #5
7. If enemy brought anti-large, write stern letter about balancing to GW and CA.
8. Then send in the Hippogryphs.
9. Upgrade Leon to max level with his regeneration and shit, then send him to solo entire armies as the single most powerful melee lord in the game.

-------------

In all seriousness, they're kinda tough to play. Their armies revolve around specific units that buff morale. Stuff like the Grail Reliquae and heroes to make sure your front line doesn't run the fuck away constantly.

Bretonnia is one of those armies where you actually want to get morale buffs as your lord's bonuses to make sure your army isn't worthless.

But if you don't like the faction, the best thing to do is just play a faction you actually like. I don't really like Bretonnia either.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:33 pm »

But I want to like Bretonnia!
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: October 04, 2017, 01:53:44 pm »

Yeah I found Brettonia to throw out the book on cavalry tactics. Build knights- the best knights. Ram them down the enemy's throat.
If the enemy have spearmen, peasant bowmen and yeoman archers are the fix.
If the enemy bring spearmen with shields, that's the only real use for your infantry. Since they introduced foot squires and battle pilgrims it became much better though.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 277