Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 491350 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2!
« Reply #2895 on: October 18, 2017, 02:45:53 pm »

The shields can also help deal with a fast or stalking unit that manages to close in with them. But there are also shades with great weapons, so...

Really, the main strength of the darkshard (over the otherwise superior shade) is that you can get them from a tier 1 building.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: October 18, 2017, 04:01:00 pm »

You guys are correct, the DE shields are the only ones that do anything when they fire.

In total war, shields have to physically block projectiles in order for them to apply their "block chance". This block chance will completely mitigate all the ranged projectile damage if it procs. The block chance is also determined by the size of the shield or something. I think you can see it by hovering over the unit's stats.

So yeah, if units don't hold out their shields, the shields don't do anything. Shields also don't do anything on the back or sides.

More info here: https://youtu.be/j5W8cGyjDh0

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:39 pm »

So shields on the back don’t protect the back?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: October 20, 2017, 05:42:12 am »

The map for the Mortal Empires campaign has been released, showing the starting positions of lords and how some of the ones from Warhammer 2 have been changed.

Also: Here's a trailer showcasing the Mortal Empires campaign.

Some of the finer detail, like how the regions down near Kroq-gar are layed out, can't be seen. You can see the province for Skavenblight, though I can't make one out for Hell Pit (it's assumed Hell Pit is present due to a building tree for the settlement being found. It should be about where the forest is in the Northern Oblast provine). It's interesting that no Skaven lord starts in Skavenblight, open for a future lord I assume.
I think Karak Zorn is present on the map, being at the end of the mountain passage in the Southlands World's Edge Mountains. There doesn't seem to be any other major changes, at least nothing that's leaping out at me.

You do get a good sense on how spread out the factions from Warhammer 2 are compared to Warhammer 1. Malakith and Tyrion are further apart than the Empire and the Greenskins.

@Tack: I don't believe they do. I have seen it mentioned that shields provide missile block in an arc in front of a unit, which I assume is making a distinction from the shields having to actually block a missile physically. So dwarfs carrying their shields on their left side don't block missiles thrown from their left, only from the front.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:46:04 am by Mech#4 »
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: October 20, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »

Gotta say, I don't much care for all the provinces they've omitted. I know that they're doing it for gameplay reasons and making the turn timer less slow, but when you're going for the big map, you want it to go all the way and be huge. I hope they at least don't hold back for the giant map for owners of the whole trilogy.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: October 20, 2017, 04:41:41 pm »

Gotta say, I don't much care for all the provinces they've omitted. I know that they're doing it for gameplay reasons and making the turn timer less slow, but when you're going for the big map, you want it to go all the way and be huge. I hope they at least don't hold back for the giant map for owners of the whole trilogy.
Yeah. It feels wrong that they did that. There's a lot of things down there that they just wiped.

That being said, after I posted the info about them removing the stuff awhile back I've started to think that perhaps it's not the worst thing in the world. As long as every faction can fight each other organically, I honestly don't really mind. Considering the amount of work CA put into all the areas that were cut, I doubt they were all too happy to cut those places without a good reason for it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: October 20, 2017, 04:43:18 pm »

Well, I don’t yet see Norsca on there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: October 20, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »

Well, I don’t yet see Norsca on there.

Different teams were working on Norsca DLC and TW:W2,  they didn't have time to integrate them. It is coming shortly after the Mortal Empires update.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 21, 2017, 03:08:38 pm »

I started up a Krok Gar campaign and right away I can see substantial differences between this campaign and my Dark Elf one. Still running the 150% unit sizes mod because it's great.

------------------

1. Saurus warriors are pretty frigging strong... I'm kinda curious to see if maybe they're the strongest tier-1 infantry in the game. I think they are. But I don't think they have a tier-2 infantry? Or maybe Saurus are Tier-2 and the Skinks are Tier-1. Either way, Lizardmen start with some damn good melee troops.

2. Fucking rats. So many fucking rats. My very first battle was the starting 600 or so Saurus vs 2000 rats. I thought I was screwed but it turns out it was pretty damn easy, because slaverats are beyond worthless.

3. My very first siege battle went like this:

- Sieged the city. City has an army garrisoning it. So around 5000 rats. Not that big of a deal for 1500 lizards.
- Enemy had a fullstack army outside the walls in stealth, and ambushed me.
- Now I was in an ambush battle vs three stacks. Fucking nutty-ass battle running all over the place.
- At the end of it, I checked the battle amounts and my 1500 lizards killed 8000 rats. Admittedly most were slaves though, but damn did it feel good.

4. Krok Gar sure gets a lot of ritual locations...

5. Man, Lizardmen are so goddamn slow. I think Dwarves are faster than them honestly. Or maybe the same. I suspect the Lizardmen are not going to have a good time in Athel Loren... Even against the Skaven I seriously can't be arsed to chase all the ranged troops around. It's impossible with their speed.

6. Lizardman ranged units suck dick. Why even bother with these javelins? They have like... no ammo and barely do anything. I know their siege dinos later are amazing but these early-game ones are trash-tier.

7. I love the Kroxigor crocodile roll.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 21, 2017, 03:16:37 pm »

Skink javelins poison enemies and they have stats equal to skink melee dudes. So while they are not line infantry, they work as a flanking force. Go behind enemy, throw javelins, charge their back.

Of course, dinos and kroxigors and cold ones do it better, but if you have nothing else...

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: October 21, 2017, 03:22:11 pm »

Chameleon Skinks are useful, but they're really the only Lizzie ranged infantry unit worth a damn. Skink Javelin Cohorts aren't as useless as I first thought: you can use them as... decent-ish meatshields to bolster your line, the ranged attack is just a bonus. They're not actually good melee infantry, mind, but surprisingly durable.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: October 21, 2017, 03:28:34 pm »

Skink javelins poison enemies and they have stats equal to skink melee dudes. So while they are not line infantry, they work as a flanking force. Go behind enemy, throw javelins, charge their back.

Of course, dinos and kroxigors and cold ones do it better, but if you have nothing else...
Yeah, I saw they have the same stats as their regular melee guys. But then I saw the upkeep cost. And I saw the little teeny tiny upkeep cost difference (20g) between the javelins and the regular Saurus.

So I thought...

"Would I rather have a really low range, no damage, poison skirmisher with crappy melee stats and a tendency to poison my own troops at the same time as the enemy?"

"Or would I rather have more walking robot terminators with 60 armour?"

Choice was honestly pretty clear.

------------

Though I suspect since one of the upcoming DLC lords will obviously be that Skink dude who worships Sotek, then he would probably buff Skinks to be way stronger.

Incidentally, the whole poison friendly fire thing is the reason why I hate using ranged poison troops at all. It's so damn annoying since all it takes is one single projectile to land within your own blob for it to affect the entire blob.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: October 21, 2017, 04:09:37 pm »

But then I saw the upkeep cost. And I saw the little teeny tiny upkeep cost difference (20g) between the javelins and the regular Saurus.

So I thought...
For Kroq Gar there isn't really much point in taking skinks, apart from maybe a couple to chase broken troops while you wait for higher-tier units to become available.

They have more raison d'etre when you start as the Slann lord. But after a while it's really just stegadons everywhere.

Also, Last Defenders is supposedly the harder start from the two, but I've felt it was the opposite. It's pretty much a corner of the map, so you don't have to deal with attacks from multiple sides, which horribly slows down Hexoatl. Kroq Gar can afford to keep just one army for a whole lot longer, and still keep up the offensive.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 21, 2017, 04:23:08 pm »

But then I saw the upkeep cost. And I saw the little teeny tiny upkeep cost difference (20g) between the javelins and the regular Saurus.

So I thought...
For Kroq Gar there isn't really much point in taking skinks, apart from maybe a couple to chase broken troops while you wait for higher-tier units to become available.

They have more raison d'etre when you start as the Slann lord. But after a while it's really just stegadons everywhere.

Also, Last Defenders is supposedly the harder start from the two, but I've felt it was the opposite. It's pretty much a corner of the map, so you don't have to deal with attacks from multiple sides, which horribly slows down Hexoatl. Kroq Gar can afford to keep just one army for a whole lot longer, and still keep up the offensive.
I agree. I'm playing on legendary and it's not particularly difficult here since the only enemy is some random Skaven. This area is really defensible and the elves and dwarfs love me.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 22, 2017, 10:49:16 am »

Last Defenders and Loremasters are both supposed to be "hard", but I found them better locations than the main LL's for their respective factions. Basically you are the corner of the map and can make sure there are no enemies hitting you from behind. Other than Vortex ritual bullshit, of course.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 277