Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 481043 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!
« Reply #3930 on: September 17, 2021, 10:45:02 am »

A pauldron inside a pauldron.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:09 am »

Ah. I've seen the name in 40k before, and 40k is mostly my bag so that's what I was (silently) referencing. I'm pretty outta touch with WFH and AoS lore. But in 40k, it's a widely used image for Lords of Change.

It's only Kairos that has two heads in all three settings. Generic Lords of Change and even the other named one all have one head in models, fluff and art.

If a LoC with two heads appears in official material, it's Kairos.

Much like Karanak, being multi-headed is his defining visual characteristic.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: September 17, 2021, 12:14:36 pm »

I guess I stand corrected!
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: September 17, 2021, 02:46:19 pm »

Two headed things, and duality in general are a Tzeentchian theme, chaos dragons, tzaangors, horrors that split into two when killed and so on. Probably a reference to madness in the same sort of vein as Sheogorath from Elder Scrolls. Mania and Dementia, ecstatic lunacy and morose madness. Since WHF started out as a homemade D&D setting IIRC, I wouldn't be surprised if Tzeentch or Kairos was at least partly inspired by Demogorgon.

Outside of Kairos and Galrauch, the first chaos dragon, named Tzeentchian stuff tends to go for extra limbs, eyes and/or mouths rather than more heads. Lords of Change are strangely rather mundane looking things, being pretty much 1-1 translations of Vrocks from D&D aesthetically. No extra limbs, no extra mouths, occasionally extra eyes buts that's about it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: September 17, 2021, 03:34:09 pm »

I think I'll have to go check one of my 40k short story compilations. It was written back in the early 90s and there's a story in there (Seven Views of the Passing of Ulhgath) that features a 2 headed lord of change where they each say different stuff. I think that's where I was pulling my recollection from.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: September 18, 2021, 03:04:05 pm »

That's probably Kairos, every time he speaks one head says the truth and the other a lie. It matters most when he makes prophecies, because even Tzeentch can't tell which head is telling the truth and Kairos is the only being who has more knowledge of the future than even the gods, on account of Tzeentch yeeting him into the well of eternity and him surviving where all others who have entered the well did not.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: September 22, 2021, 02:30:12 am »

Some more lore detailing Cathay has been released by GW and CA. It goes into their backstory, the land and various factions involved as well as some major events in their history such as a time the Dragon Emperor disappeared for 400 years and the Monkey King invaded and took over things during that time.

Blog Post about Cathay

Warhammer Community post about Cathay and units
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: October 11, 2021, 06:19:58 pm »

Siege rework info is out!

Looks ok I guess, certainly more involved and complex than what we've had before. But it all comes down to how/if the AI will handle the stuff, as the biggest problem of the first two games was the AI being pants-on-head retarded when it came to sieges and stupidly easy to cheese with minimal effort. If the AI is just as bad then all the cool stuff they're doing with the maps and supplies mean fuck all in the end. Also here's to hoping they don't make them too much of a slog, having to fight hour+ sieges every time sounds like it could get old rather fast :V

It's good to know they're not leaving the old races behind tho, that should breathe in some freshness into pretty much every part of the ME map.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: October 11, 2021, 06:48:49 pm »

My biggest worry with the siege rework is that the outcome will be based too heavily on the initial push onto the walls. A lot of units need to be ground down before they'll run, so I can see situations where the attacker hounds a bunch of ragged units through the city or the defender lasts long enough to setup barricades and towers to pick apart stragglers.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: October 13, 2021, 11:46:20 am »

The map in the video looks cool, and a bit of polish wouldn't hurt combat mode in general, TW has been running on the zntirely same gameplay mechanisms for I don'tknow how many titles.

Did y'all see though, release date on steam got postponed to 2022.
let

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: October 13, 2021, 06:02:53 pm »

Yeah, the delay to 2022 got announced the day before the Cathay trailer.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: October 13, 2021, 10:56:25 pm »

There was another blog post going into greater detail about Cathay's campaign mechanics including some about their research tree, the Wu-Xing Compass mechanic and a look at the Great Bastion fortress buildings.

Leading Grand Cathay – how the Eastern Empire dominates on the campaign map

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: October 15, 2021, 09:59:44 am »

They also released a Tzeentch trailer today and the accompanying blog post talks about how Tzeentch's campaign mechanics work.

Main takeaway looks like Tzeentch gets a book currency that can be used to do sneaky things like manipulate other factions into declaring war on each other, lift the fog of war, or transfer ownership of a settlement. His armies can also teleport and ambush armies, once you get a specific tech.

There's also some cult mechanics for Chaos in general that look interesting. Don't know if those got revealed before, but if your god's corruption is dominant in a region you get to build a building there even if you don't control the region, similar to Undercities or pirate coves.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:02:18 am by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:51 am »

The cult mechanics and monogod corruption were not officially revealed before this, though monogod corruption did pop up in Cathay's mechanics blog post.

Hopefully they give significant costs and/or cooldowns to some of these mechanics, because transferring settlements and teleportation forcing ambush battles both sound potent.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: October 15, 2021, 10:18:51 am »

The blog post stated there were long cooldowns and costs to the manipulation abilities, although that's somewhat subjective.

Teleporting ambush battles costs you winds of magic and is a late game thing for Tzeentch.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 277