Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 2682 times)

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Salt
« on: January 14, 2015, 05:32:27 pm »

It occurred to me that there could perhaps be a zone, placed over ocean or other saltwater tiles, for dwarfs to collect sea salt, much as they do sand or clay.  Collection would require a bucket or jug, and result in a "powder" called salt, which could then be used as a spice in cooking (or just traded, probably at the same price as sand).  Perhaps the kitchen or still would be the best workshops to handle this?

Since salt is very useful in real life, I imagine there would be lots of future potential once salt is in the game.  Perhaps, aside from cooking, it could also be used in hospitals as an emergency disinfectant when no soap is available: it would prevent infection, at the cost of causing pain (salt in a wound, anyone?).  Also, for forts with no saltwater access, rock-salt could be crushed into the same or similar powder.

Thoughts?

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »

During the era DF is set, (pure) salt was extremely valuable, as it almost exclusively came from dry salt lakes, at least if you wanted any sizable quantity. Salt from the sea requires time, or heat, so fuel or time seems like it'd be a prerequisite
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:20:44 pm »

Perhaps some sort of boiler should be here to do things like extract salt from the sea or boil murky water to make it clean. I know there's rock salt as a mineral in the game, perhaps sea salt should be an alternative for those not fortunate enough to have it on their map...

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:26:29 pm »

i like the movie salt
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:45 pm »

During the era DF is set, (pure) salt was extremely valuable, as it almost exclusively came from dry salt lakes, at least if you wanted any sizable quantity. Salt from the sea requires time, or heat, so fuel or time seems like it'd be a prerequisite

It was one of the best food preservation techniques.  More than one country even wound up using salt as a form of currency.  Shit was real in the days before freezers and fridges were found in every home :p  How else is that fish supposed to get from the coast to even 100 miles inland before rotting to high heaven?

It would take time, but you could let the salt water evaporate in shallow dishes.  People have been harvesting it from the sea for thousands of years (it takes no tech, believed to be since prehistoric times).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 01:08:23 am »

I like this idea but salt production seems like quite a handful unless you live by the ocean and can create those shallow pools.

This would have to be implemented together with a better trading system that allows you to obtain the things you want and need in high quantities.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:22:10 am »

Murky water leaves mud; Salt water leaves salt; Clear water leaves nothing.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:39:18 am »

Salt mines aren't that uncommon too, so you could end up with a lot of salt even in high lands.

Eventually, when the game is developed enough, you could go from the mountain home and establish mining outpost/towns/fortress around to secure the caravans on your next fortress do bring those resources.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »

Maybe making a reaction for grinding Rock Salt at the mill to make a stack of salt that is edible while cooked. Though I must question what a minced salt roast tastes like.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:14:18 pm »

Maybe making a reaction for grinding Rock Salt at the mill to make a stack of salt that is edible while cooked. Though I must question what a minced salt roast tastes like.
This is a +salt roast+. It contains finely minced salt, finely minced salt, finely minced salt, and finely minced salt.

You may want a drink with that...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »

Salt should be used on the butcher shop and fishery to make dry meats capable of not rotting so fast. Or in the kitchen as a coating or additive only.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 07:20:08 pm »

It would take time, but you could let the salt water evaporate in shallow dishes.  People have been harvesting it from the sea for thousands of years (it takes no tech, believed to be since prehistoric times).

I thought as much; so we could have the dwarf go get a jug of sea-water, take it back to the workshop, and "process" it there to make the salt.

Do they actually make foods entirely out of spices in this game?  I was under the impression that there had to be at least one actual food item, although I may have gotten it confused with liquids/solids. (A 100% salt roast or whathaveyou is not too far off from the realities of modern western culture, though...)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:35 pm »

I thought as much; so we could have the dwarf go get a jug of sea-water, take it back to the workshop, and "process" it there to make the salt.

Do they actually make foods entirely out of spices in this game?  I was under the impression that there had to be at least one actual food item, although I may have gotten it confused with liquids/solids. (A 100% salt roast or whathaveyou is not too far off from the realities of modern western culture, though...)
I'm pretty sure in the standard game there aren't any spices, but there is tallow and seeds which I guess are kind of similar in how strange it is that you can get meals made entirely of tallow or seeds.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 08:21:01 pm »

I'm pretty sure in the standard game there aren't any spices, but there is tallow and seeds which I guess are kind of similar in how strange it is that you can get meals made entirely of tallow or seeds.
Barrels containing fruit from trees are called "spice barrels"  so the idea is there at least, although a typical processed snack would be more like salt, salt, sugar, oil...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 03:43:15 am »

Barrels containing fruit from trees are called "spice barrels"  so the idea is there at least, although a typical processed snack would be more like salt, salt, sugar, oil...
Quarry bush leaves are spices.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2