Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 2701 times)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 04:26:03 am »

If salt becomes a thing, I'd like to see salt glaze for pottery.  It might also be useful as bait to trap ungulates who crave that mineral.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:25:53 am »

If salt becomes a thing, I'd like to see salt glaze for pottery.  It might also be useful as bait to trap ungulates who crave that mineral.
Or to spread around and watch snails and slugs dissolve in it...

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »

I'm pretty sure in the standard game there aren't any spices, but there is tallow and seeds which I guess are kind of similar in how strange it is that you can get meals made entirely of tallow or seeds.
Barrels containing fruit from trees are called "spice barrels"  so the idea is there at least, although a typical processed snack would be more like salt, salt, sugar, oil...
Quarry bush leaves are spices.

Yeah, I was referring to quarry bush leaves, mainly.  Do dorfs really make foods entirely out of quarry bush leaves?  (At least seeds make sense, in a granola kind of way.)

You could also use salt to melt ice and render a farm unusable forever, though why you'd want to do that last one is beyond me.

ETA: Wait a second!  DF has ghosts and other supernatural things, right?  Isn't salt supposed to have some kind of demon-repelling properties?  Toss a bit over your left shoulder to blind the devil; trap a ghost in a circle of salt--that sort of thing?  Maybe this could be worked in somehow...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:24:33 pm by Batgirl1 »

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »

Salt as a preservative and spicing have both been discussed quite a bit in cooking and agriculture megathreads, but I do like the idea of including it for supernatural/ceremonial purposes.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »

In some religions salt has supernatural/anti-demonic properties if and only if it's exorcised -- like it carries the exorcism with it, or something to similar effect. (Now, whether anyone believes that only salt can carry that sort of exorcism, or whether it's more a matter of the exorcism and salt just happens to be everybody's favorite implement... I wouldn't know, although I might be able to find out if I really wanted to...)

In any case, I'd say this suggestion is... worth its salt!
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 11:21:42 pm »

Now, whether anyone believes that only salt can carry that sort of exorcism, or whether it's more a matter of the exorcism and salt just happens to be everybody's favorite implement... I wouldn't know, although I might be able to find out if I really wanted to...)

In any case, I'd say this suggestion is... worth its salt!

Iir it's because salt keeps food from going bad. If it keeps out the rot then it might just work in ghosts too, sort of thing.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 01:03:42 am »

Just a quick thought, sugar can preserve food as well.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2015, 01:13:36 am »

You could also use salt to melt ice and render a farm unusable forever, though why you'd want to do that last one is beyond me.
Could be useful for inhibiting grass/moss growth in places, e.g. gather zones and fire hazards.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »

I'm pretty sure in the standard game there aren't any spices, but there is tallow and seeds which I guess are kind of similar in how strange it is that you can get meals made entirely of tallow or seeds.
Barrels containing fruit from trees are called "spice barrels"  so the idea is there at least, although a typical processed snack would be more like salt, salt, sugar, oil...
Quarry bush leaves are spices.

I'm not sure what the justification is for calling them spices, since they're used as solid meal components.
I like the idea of spices being an extra modifier you can put on your food (season meal as a job in the kitchen; consumes spices and prepared meals to create a meal of a higher value with another component). But what I like even more is the idea of using salt as a preservative. Basically everything that can go in a food stockpile that's solid can be preserved with salt - if we made food rot quicker in stockpiles, it would a) increase the challenge in terms of feeding your fort b) introduce a new industry and valued trade comoddity, increasing the incentive for trading and c) create new cooking jobs; salt solid food.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 09:49:47 pm »

Rather than having "seasoned food" as a separate job, I think It'd be easier if salt and spices were handled the way liquids are in cooking: randomly grabbed as an ingredient, but not usable as the sole foundation of a recipe. 

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:36 am »

I've heard that rocksalt (the pink one, not halite) was used to preserve foodstuffs. They'd simply made a ☼jug☼ out of it, and put the food, including raw meat, inside it.  That shouldn't be outside dwarven capabilities, just as boiling brine to get salt.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 11:38:36 am »

One more thought now that the Tavern arc is upon us: Dwarven Margaritas with salt around the rim! :)

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

But y'see, that would require tequila, which in turn requires agave plants.  At least dwarves' judgment can't get any worse under its influence.
Pages: 1 [2]