Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: unending galaxy  (Read 35239 times)

EsKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
Re: unending galaxy
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2015, 09:28:24 pm »

I would like to report a bug, you can take over sectors claimed by others by placing a military outpost. I haven't tried placing the military bases deeper into teritories, but building it over all the stars could be a valid strategy. If they go to war with you the military base will destroy all the stations there.

Not a bug. Whoever has a military base in a sector own the sector. And AI factions do what you described too (not as well as you would, sure). What's lacking is their ability to detect you trying to pull that stuff up and react accordingly, it'll be included in beta 4.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2015, 10:29:41 pm »

Perhaps patrols should cost ship parts to prevent using patrol spam to take systems? Throw in the ability to limit which systems patrols go into and it would be fine, so you could stop them from invading neighboring enemy systems on their own if you wanted to. If you're worried about them using up all the ship parts it could be at a reduced rate to built ships.

Heh, drug labs are on a 1 second production timer right now apparently. So you could make over 1 million per minute if you managed to provide the 3000 energy cells and 900 chemicals it requires per minute (which needs 22 chemical plants running full throttle, so probably unlikely) and sold them somewhere.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:51:06 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 12:49:35 am »

ADS and to a limited extent pirates guild were pretty much essential to most of my X3 playthroughs. The scripts were sweet and pretty well optimized.

I'll have to take a look at this. DLing now!
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »

Here is a download link to the changed files. I don't see a mod system for the game so I just packaged it as an overwrite for the core files, you may want to back those up in case you don't like my changes.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0Bw4jSI5meNgsVFVKNDRMZ0pJcFk

In short, the factories have all been made more profitable and the ship part production has been made more raw resource intensive. And the change that affects the game the most, solar power plants have been boosted and energy cell usage has been reduced a bit so that a solar system of solar power can actually power the factories built there.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 12:25:50 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

EsKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2015, 02:47:03 am »

Quote from: Paul
Perhaps patrols should cost ship parts to prevent using patrol spam to take systems? Throw in the ability to limit which systems patrols go into and it would be fine, so you could stop them from invading neighboring enemy systems on their own if you wanted to. If you're worried about them using up all the ship parts it could be at a reduced rate to built ships.

Patrol spam ? I assume it's related to a bug I just fixed where Mil.bases, placed out of solar systems, could spawn "infinite" police wings if the patrol ships wanders out of the initial location (as they do in beta 3). That will likely reduce the efficiency of the method, that and the fact that police ships will rarely venture outside of your territory in beta 4. I also made the faction AI aware of attempts to build foreign Mil.bases in their sectors.

That said, if the economic system balance itself out properly, then yes, military bases will use parts to build patrol ships (it will be made configurable through their new control panel)

Here is a download link to the changed files. I don't see a mod system for the game so I just packaged it as an overwrite for the core files, you may want to back those up in case you don't like my changes.

Thanks ! I'll check it out during this weekend and add it to the next beta.

The 1.0 release will fully support mods (can be enabled/disabled and re-ordered). It's a simple system I have used in the past, something akin to a /mods/mod-name/ sub-folder where the file structure in mod-name will be added to the game's data (if same file found, it'll use the modded version).

ADS and to a limited extent pirates guild were pretty much essential to most of my X3 playthroughs. The scripts were sweet and pretty well optimized.

Thanks man, it's always nice to hear from people who liked my scripts :)

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2015, 05:14:29 am »

No worries EsKa, got some feedback for you too.

I've come across some problems on the freeware version:
The biggest part is that the game will occasionally hang and have to be shutdown at random. Happens on any galaxy/race configuration.
Free traders, mine and NPC, will occasionally sit on a warp point. Make it hard to get out of a system. Traffic jams make for an exploded raider.
As stated earlier economy is pretty unbalanced. The conga line of tankers to and from SPP when production ticks over is pretty funny.
I dont think ships ever loose their aggression when you attack them. Got chased over the galaxy by a Core raider group. Lucky I had a couple of auroras to cheese them!
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

EsKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2015, 07:05:27 am »

The biggest part is that the game will occasionally hang and have to be shutdown at random. Happens on any galaxy/race configuration.

Crashes are always annoying, well of course they are, but I mean for me to figure out as, since beta 3, the game has been mostly crash-free for me, even during long game sessions. Out of curiosity, do the buttons still kinda work when the game crashes ? It would mean it's a display/rendering issue that I may already have fixed in my current in-house version.

Edit: Is your crash related to loading the game using quickload or the menu during an existing game ? Others had this one too and I think I just fixed it.

Free traders, mine and NPC, will occasionally sit on a warp point. Make it hard to get out of a system. Traffic jams make for an exploded raider.

Yes, it's annoying to me too, they're jumping away as soon as they reach the warp gate, i'll add a random delay before they can do it so they don't jam the gate.

I dont think ships ever loose their aggression when you attack them. Got chased over the galaxy by a Core raider group. Lucky I had a couple of auroras to cheese them!

Core ships don't loose their aggro easily (kill all meatbags, and all that :p). Legit factions, bounty hunters aside, tend to forget about you as long as you leave their sector or solar system (depending on who's chasing you). Police in beta 3 may be a bit buggy and still chase you across the galaxy in some cases, but it's now fixed.

Cheers,
SK.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:15:32 pm by EsKa »

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »

Hangs occur randomly after a certain time during normal play. I'm going to install the game on my desktop and see if my laptop is just being funny. It does that sometimes.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2015, 11:15:08 pm »

The game has been stable for me. Even running the big map that comes from donating. I did once get some kind of popup text but I accidentally closed it before I could see what it was, I think some kind of "Access Violation" or something along those lines, but the game didn't crash or act weird afterward. Been waiting to see if it comes back so I can report it but so far it hasn't.

And yeah, that's the patrol issue I was talking about. I didn't realize it was a bug. I had an enemy set up a military base in the next sector over from me and my military base spammed patrols onto it and killed it (whereas my own was being protected by a capital ship that was keeping the stream of enemy patrols at bay). If you haven't already, just having a respawn timer on remaking destroyed patrols would suffice to keep them becoming an issue even without a ship part cost.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:18:54 pm by Paul »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2015, 10:12:40 am »

PTW, looks interesting.

EsKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2015, 05:00:28 am »

So, as promised I tested the mod during the weekend while trying to figure out the stability issues some people are experiencing.

It's impressive how much better the production works now. It also mostly fix the early game cargo ship conga lines (and the ships constantly backtracking as soon as their destination is emptied out). Traffic is still heavy in the first few minutes but it's pretty normal given how the galaxy is generated.

Weirdly enough, it didn't seem to deter the swarm and core as much as it did in your game (still on the Imperium map). In one of those games, after 8h or so, the swarm had the most assets by a large margin and was firmly entrenched in numerous asteroid sectors all over the map, it was pretty fun to watch actually. In another, the Core took over half the map in roughly the same period of time. It may have something to do with the new combat flight model, or I may have been "unlucky" (a few shorter sessions yield different results). Not a very big deal and that's beside the point anyway, part production is more consistent, cargo traffic more fluid, giving more work to raiders, which in turn give more work to bounty hunters and cops.

In fewer words, great work ! :)

As said, I've been looking in the stability issues some are experiencing. Without going into technical details, it's likely caused by the fact that the game is multi-threaded and that I cut some corners when it come to handling it. And also, it's really not an easy task to get it done perfectly in a game of that scale. I made multiple adjustments during the week-end to 'secure' most critical parts of the game so that shouldn't happen anymore, or at least not as often, but only large scale testing (release) will tell how effective my modifications are.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:03:01 am by EsKa »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:33 am »

PTW, hoping for a mac version.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2015, 11:50:35 pm »

I'm so proud of checking that devlog and noticing how the things that annoyed me are getting fixed.  8)
Awesome that more hardcore members of the forum (I tend to vanish for months) picked up on the game and are bombarding you SK.
That's exactly what I intended, bwhahaha. Now the next versions are gonna be even more fun.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EsKa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anarkis Gaming
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2015, 01:16:20 am »

PTW, hoping for a mac version.

Sadly, it's not going to happen.

It's a custom built game, not using unity or unreal engine, which mean I don't have a nice "port" button that does most of the work for me. It's also relying specific Windows features which wouldn't make things easy even if I had any idea how to port the thing to mac (which i don't).

I'm so proud of checking that devlog and noticing how the things that annoyed me are getting fixed.  8)
Awesome that more hardcore members of the forum (I tend to vanish for months) picked up on the game and are bombarding you SK.
That's exactly what I intended, bwhahaha. Now the next versions are gonna be even more fun.

Yeah, you guys kept me busy :)

I think I have covered everything that was reported on this topic (so far), it should be listed in the next devlog when I find the time to write it. All this kinda put me a bit behind schedule regarding the Beta 4 release, but I am not complaining, the game and user interface feel so much better now.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:11 pm »

a little bump before this gets lost, great work looking forward to beta 4.  Are there any plans for new factions or bigger maps or user defiend maps in the future, im guessing theres still a lot in the works.  Keep up the good work
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11