Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sieges / Goblins mechanics in 0.40.xx onward  (Read 7975 times)

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sieges / Goblins mechanics in 0.40.xx onward
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »

I would like to point out that the size of your civilization seems to matter when being attacked, embarking at a considerable distance(Kissing the distance limit for sieges to be exact) with a big parent civilization but being one of the only two accessible forts for them to attack rendered me a siege in the first year and twice every year from them on.
Sorry for this stupid question: how can you know if an embark site is one of the only accessible site for Goblins?
When looking at the civilization sleection screen in embark you can see where your civilization is and then just compare where they are to where your goblins are.
I am still confused. I know how to locate your civilisation, but how do you know your fort is the only accessible point for Goblins, since the embark screen only shows what is in the neighbourhood of your future fort?

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 05:30:40 pm »

I am still confused. I know how to locate your civilisation, but how do you know your fort is the only accessible point for Goblins, since the embark screen only shows what is in the neighbourhood of your future fort?

Easy, you pay attention to the nearby settlements that belong to your civilization, usually dwarf fortresses and look at where the goblins settlements are (that is purple ones).  Since nowadays goblins and other invaders actually raise/move armies across the map, the goblins will tend to attack the settlements closest to them.

If you want to guarantee that you will get goblin trouble, you want to place your settlement closer to the goblins that all other settlements belonging to your civilization.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 06:37:52 pm »

There are other sites goblins might attack than just your civilization i suppose. To find those ones look for the yellow cups that represent elven sites, and the lines and whatever human sites look like I don't really remember representing human sites.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:56 pm »

There are other sites goblins might attack than just your civilization i suppose. To find those ones look for the yellow cups that represent elven sites, and the lines and whatever human sites look like I don't really remember representing human sites.

Human sites are complicated.  Basically look for crosses, stars, lines and 'treasure chests'.   The Stars are the largest cities, the crosses are towns, the treasure chests are major villages and the lines are minor villages. 

But yes basically, if you want to get goblins to attack you make sure that the goblins do not have any other nearby civilizations to attack instead.
Pages: 1 [2]