Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 81859 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
What are you reading?
« on: January 17, 2015, 05:50:09 pm »

So today I came across a problem. The problem is, we don't appear to have a Reading thread! I decided to remedy this problem! As a result here is a thread to talk about what you're reading, what you have just read and what you think of books in general.

Personally, I'm reading Knife of Dreams the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series, I took a break from this series for a while and in this break I read the 1st Book in the Malazan Books of the Fallen series. For my next book I'm torn between Deadhouse Gates and The gathering Storm. What do you guys think I should read.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 05:52:12 pm »

I'm reading this thread.

ha ha.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

I'm reading this thread.

ha ha.
No, you.

I'm reading my history textbook.  But for fun reading, I haven't really read anything new in a while.  Any suggestions, anyone?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:57:32 pm »

Working on Crown of Swords, 7th WoT book, myself.

By the way, can anybody confirm or deny that Crossroads of Twilight is mostly an endless treatise on food and appearances and has almost nothing plot-important in it?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 05:57:52 pm »

I'm reading this thread.

ha ha.
No, you.

I'm reading my history textbook.  But for fun reading, I haven't really read anything new in a while.  Any suggestions, anyone?

It really depends on what you're into. The Wheel of Time books are pretty good, and I'm really enjoying the Malazan Books of the Fallen. If you don't mind reading fanfics Harry Potter and The Methods of Rationality and Harry Potter and The Natural 20 are written excellently and have some really funny parts in them.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »

I'm reading Common Sense, at the moment.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 06:01:36 pm »

Working on Crown of Swords, 7th WoT book, myself.

By the way, can anybody confirm or deny that Crossroads of Twilight is mostly an endless treatise on food and appearances and has almost nothing plot-important in it?

Yeah, Crossroads of Twilight was pretty dense but there are a few slightly important plot points in it, mainly towards the end, if I recall correctly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:03:38 pm »

Currently I'm reading...
World of Ice and Fire, Dragon's Egg, The Dwarves, the third Gotrek and Felix omnibus, and about 15 quests on Sufficient Velocity. As well as the various forum games I'm engaged in here.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:47:10 pm »

Currently I'm reading...
World of Ice and Fire, Dragon's Egg, The Dwarves, the third Gotrek and Felix omnibus, and about 15 quests on Sufficient Velocity. As well as the various forum games I'm engaged in here.
What do you think of The Dwarves? I've been considering reading it for a while.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 08:42:37 pm »

I've been slowly working through The Milkman In The Night. Before that I read Fear And Loathing and part of Acid House. Also someone bought me Junky by that Burroughs guy, but it didn't grab me all that much.

I don't spend nearly as much time reading these days.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:57:56 pm »

John Cleese's biography.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:52 pm »

Fiction: I just finished reading the sequel to Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson; it was enjoyable to read. Also, I'm finishing the Pathfinder series by Orson Scott Card (The premise and plot are interesting, although I don't like the authors style as much as others).

Non-fiction: Textbooks are interesting, you know?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

Currently I'm reading...
What do you think of The Dwarves? I've been considering reading it for a while.
Seems a fairly standard fantasy thing so far, but it's written fairly well. Haven't got that far into it.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 10:32:41 pm »

Wow, all these people reading 3 or 4 at a time. I usually just take one, finish it, and move on to another. Right now I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov (though I'm not very far into it.) I finished Thus Spake Zarathustra right before this, and my God that was a chore to read. I knew going in that it was just going to be a vehicle for Nietzsche's ideas, that's really the point of the thing, but I had to f orce myself to even finish it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if his ideas weren't so odious to me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:38:20 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2015, 10:35:06 pm »

Wow, all these people reading 3 or 4 at a time. I usually just take one, finish it, and move on to another. Right now I'm reading The Brothers Karamazov (though I'm not very far into it.) I finished Thus Spake Zarathustra right before this, and my God that was a chore to read. I knew going in that it was just going to be a vehicle for Nietzsche's ideas, that's really the point of the thing, but I had to force myself to even finish it. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if his ideas weren't so odious to me.
If you read a few at once, you can take one with you, read one at home, keep one in bed, and keep a fourth on you in case you finish one of the first three.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58