Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82015 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:58 pm »

"Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett. Enjoying it so far; it has a lot of call backs to previous books and seems to be making a point to include a large amount of characters for small cameos.

I was also reading through "The Dark Elf Trilogy" by R.A. Salvatore, but I've read those so many times it's difficult to when you start remembering what's going to be happening every page.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2015, 10:28:10 am »

"Raising Steam" by Terry Pratchett. Enjoying it so far; it has a lot of call backs to previous books and seems to be making a point to include a large amount of characters for small cameos.

Considering it might well be the last Discworld book...

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2015, 10:40:10 am »

I'm currently reading this thread. Ha! ;)

Okay I'm out of here.......

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2015, 02:00:17 pm »

Oh a book discussion! What I'm reading at the moment.... well I got no novels in the reading stage at the moment. Last thing I read though was Way of Kings, loved it now I have to find the second book Words of Radiance I think and wait for the third. But I always pick a horrible time to get into a series, the beginning. I have to wait for goddamn ages to get to the end.

I attempted reading the Guardeans of Ga'hool series.
First book was amazing. (I purchased the first three out of (9?)). Got half way through reading the second one before I could taste the salt in my mouth and couldn't keep reading
Yay! I have read a few of those too. I think I got to the Shattering before I couldn't find them and forgot about ordering them.

Anyone read Joe Abercrombie recently?

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2015, 08:13:31 pm »

Yay comics!

...I feel like I'm the only person on the forums who doesn't like WoT. I read the first couple of books and was bored/annoyed by them. :-/
I couldn't stand the Belagriad or however you spell it, either. ...All this talk of long fantasy series has got me wishing I had one to sink my teeth into, haha.

The ting with long fantasy series, is they all end up being really divisive, often because they're so long. I find any time someone brings them up the next comments is "Hurr durr so slow. Cut books 7-10," sometimes with a little complaining about the gender contrast, just about every time.

Yes. Love him. I just bought The Heroes, (I think) but I haven't read it yet.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:00 pm »

"Helmet for my pillow", a marine's account of the Pacific theater in WWII, from signing up after Pearl Harbor to almost the end of the war.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:58 am »

"On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City"

It was an ethnography about people suffering under the War on Drugs's police state in Philadelphia and how they negotiated their lives. Cops beating people up as matter of policy. A urine business for people to avoid breaking parole and ending up back in jail. Systems of how police intimidate intimate partners or family that include threats of physical violence, taking children away, charging the person for their partner's crimes, harassment, etc. combined with persuasion and the consequences of standing in the community for not providing support against the law. Pretty much about the society that builds itself around legal entanglement in their lives or the lives of their close relatives.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 01:34:10 am »

Well I just finished Knife of Dreams and am about halfway through The Gathering Storm at the moment and I just have to say.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 02:06:48 am »

I might need to reread Wheel of Time now, and I must be the only person who liked the "slow" books.  From what I remember, they were very political instead of combative.

At this moment, I'm rereading Alloy of Law, because I've become a freaking Sanderson addict.  I just finished rereading Elantris because I wanted to check to see if there was anything I missed, and that is my least favorite Cosmere book.  Alloy of Law is fun though, I really like the mix of Old West, a sort of 1900's London, and magic.

Comrade Shamrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2015, 10:20:07 am »

Yes. Love him. I just bought The Heroes, (I think) but I haven't read it yet.
Well I loved it. Hope you do too. Are you reading the Shattered Sea series too?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2015, 03:10:19 pm »

I enjoyed the WoT books because of how detailed the world building was, and how the various plotlines diverged and were later brought back together.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2015, 04:00:58 pm »

At this moment, I'm rereading Alloy of Law, because I've become a freaking Sanderson addict.

One of us! One of us!

In any case, I've moved on to reading Storm of Swords now. My god this thing is huge. Its the size of my cat. Or Words of Radiance.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2015, 06:44:09 pm »

Reading the Necronomicon by H.P Lovecraft just finished Dagon.

Enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would (I thought pop culture had given me immunity against Lovecraft. NOPE)
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 03:45:50 am »

So I continued read The Gathering Storm today and I swear I could tell when Brandon Sanderson took over. He just has a different style of writing and I found that showed up quite obviously, does anyone else feel the same.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 04:01:00 am »

I'm catching up on the webcomic MercWorks
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 58