Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 82266 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #615 on: June 17, 2017, 10:39:53 pm »

Wheel of time is not really a martial arts fantasy thing. More straight up magic or old fashion weapon use, when there is combat. But yeah. Honestly the whole series is super slow and mostly made out of loads of characters you don't care about doing things you don't care about. I mean, I'd still say it's quite good, and I enjoyed reading it (for the most part. The ending was awful and in a way I felt a bit cheated out of all the time I put into the books) But if the first book doesn't do it for you the series as a whole really isn't going to be your thing, the last couple of books (*cough* the ones written after Robert died *cough*) pick up a bit and are the highlight of the series, but it's probably not going to be worth slogging though the first like 11 books for that.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 17, 2017, 11:36:19 pm »

The first several Wheel of Time books are decent (it starts off a bit slow and gets better) but the middle of the series sags quite it a bit (iirc I skimmed a book or two - 10 and 11? - because nothing happened). The last three books are really good (there's a return to some of the epic things from book... 5? 9? one of the earlier books with battles and important things happening), though, and I felt like they were a decent payoff.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: June 18, 2017, 02:50:54 am »

I'm also currently almost done with Moby Dick and I hate this book yet I don't want to give up.

That seems fitting.

+1
I have read an article talking about how the point of the book is that it's a labor to read, but I'm not really sure how it's going to reward me excepr to be a test of my patience.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 18, 2017, 03:02:58 am »

The wheel of time... well here are my thoughts

- I never thought it was really good. Entertaining, ok. But good?  Its a storm of cliches and sues.

- the first book in particular is pretty bad because it can be summed up as 'every fantasy book ever'

- lots of early installment weirdness in the first few books actually, and ludicrously slow plot.

I do tend to agree that Sanderson is overall a better (if cookie-cutterish)  writer than Jordan. He struggled to bring the series to a close, though. And some parts were lame. In particular I found Ishamael's motivations shallow as fuck by the end.  I was hoping a buildup to something deeper
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:06:34 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 26, 2017, 10:38:11 pm »

Finished Titus Groan last night, goodness what an amazing book.
I shall have to track down the sequel... I actually have the third one in the series, just not the second.

Today I am getting stuck into Trainspotting, after reading a couple of chapters yesterday on the train after I bought it. First time I've read it (though I've read a couple of Welsh books and would probably count him amongst my favourite authors) and I am eager to see how it compares to the movie, which is a brilliant film indeed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 27, 2017, 11:15:40 am »

Reading "The Collapsing Empire" by John Scalzi

pretty good, but feels very DUNEish
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 04, 2017, 02:54:55 am »

Now I've almost finished The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs, also by Welsh.
Good gods, this book is horrifying. Brilliantly horrifying. Ah jist cannae pit it doon.
I think it might top even Marabou Stork Nightmares in terms of sheer literary brutalization. Now if you'll excuse me, I think I shall quickly polish this one off before getting to work on the countless chores I need to take care of.
Booze is Life for Yoink

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 04, 2017, 04:07:15 am »

On to book 2 of Skulduggery Pleasant. "Playing with Fire." Went to the library hoping to find it, nearly the entire series is there. Managed to get a third of the way through the book before I realised I had to get home.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 05, 2017, 07:50:46 am »

I finally finished reading Moby Dick.

It was nice.

Do I recommend this book to other people?

No.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #624 on: July 07, 2017, 10:38:42 pm »

Do I recommend this book to other people?

No.
That thought always makes me question whether I really enjoyed something, or if I'm just glad to be able to say I read/watched/played it.

...I'm reading From Bacteria to Bach and Back by Dan Dennett, it just came out earlier this year. I just got to the part where he starts discussing co-evolution of human brains alongside free-floating cultural ideas, like viruses but made of non-physical information. It's a lot more accessible than I just made it sound.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 14, 2017, 07:44:55 am »

I'll actually check that out, microbiology is a new interest of mine.

Right now I'm reading "We make the road by walking" by Myles Horton and Paulo Friere. I gravitate the most strongly towards wise, sagacious old men authors, and this book has two. My first impression from the first chapter is good. Though I got it because I also am interested in pedagogy, and my initial web search revealed this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:34 am »

Currently I am reading Ivanhoe, and it is bloody excellent.
Honestly, I wasn't really expecting it to be so good, especially considering it's by the author of Rob Roy which I remember just about boring me to tears when I tried to read it years ago, and I was in fact putting off starting Ivanhoe due to my low expectations.

How foolish of me! This is probably going to claim a place amongst my very favourite books ere the story's finished. Sumptuous descriptions of medieval life and scenery, a decided lack of the usual pussyfooted-ness I would usually (no doubt incorrectly) expect from a classic from its period, some of the snappiest, most sharp-witted dialogue I've encountered in a book from any era, and to top it off I feel like I'm learning a lot more about English history than I ever really knew before.

I've been doing more reading lately than I had been for a long time, 'tis good.
Also it's getting quite exciting indeed. Thrills the blood, it does.

In addition to that, the only novel I'm currently reading (trying to stick to one at a time, despite my enticing backlog of unread books), I've been reading a  lot of poetry here and there. A collection of Keats I got from the library, the works of some fellow called Longfellow that I found at a "flea" market last weekend, those of some other guy named Francis Thompson that I've had for a while (and yet barely scratched the surface of for some reason, I shall have to remedy that), some prose translations of Rimbaud and this old, aesthetically lovely little book of "Comic and Curious Verse", selected by J.M. Cohen and printed in 1952. A lot of the verse within is very old, filled with archaic words and terms and difficult to understand, but there are definitely some poets in there whom I should like to read more from.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #627 on: July 19, 2017, 11:52:17 am »

Currently I am reading Ivanhoe, and it is bloody excellent.
Honestly, I wasn't really expecting it to be so good, especially considering it's by the author of Rob Roy which I remember just about boring me to tears when I tried to read it years ago, and I was in fact putting off starting Ivanhoe due to my low expectations.

How foolish of me! This is probably going to claim a place amongst my very favourite books ere the story's finished. Sumptuous descriptions of medieval life and scenery, a decided lack of the usual pussyfooted-ness I would usually (no doubt incorrectly) expect from a classic from its period, some of the snappiest, most sharp-witted dialogue I've encountered in a book from any era, and to top it off I feel like I'm learning a lot more about English history than I ever really knew before.

I've been doing more reading lately than I had been for a long time, 'tis good.
Also it's getting quite exciting indeed. Thrills the blood, it does.

In addition to that, the only novel I'm currently reading (trying to stick to one at a time, despite my enticing backlog of unread books), I've been reading a  lot of poetry here and there. A collection of Keats I got from the library, the works of some fellow called Longfellow that I found at a "flea" market last weekend, those of some other guy named Francis Thompson that I've had for a while (and yet barely scratched the surface of for some reason, I shall have to remedy that), some prose translations of Rimbaud and this old, aesthetically lovely little book of "Comic and Curious Verse", selected by J.M. Cohen and printed in 1952. A lot of the verse within is very old, filled with archaic words and terms and difficult to understand, but there are definitely some poets in there whom I should like to read more from.
You mean this Ivanhoe, right? http://www.gutenberg.org/files/82/82-h/82-h.htm#link2H_INTR

I think I'll start reading it too.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 19, 2017, 12:21:36 pm »

Maybe I'm the only one but when I read the title "Ivanhoe" I get an earworm of a voice singsonging "eh, hoe, Ivanhoe"  to this tune   https://youtu.be/Quk0EV9aryc
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #629 on: July 27, 2017, 08:10:52 am »

I picked up The Divine Comedy last night. The translation I have is surprisingly readable, and surprisingly loaded with contemporary references for such a well-known classic. 14th century politics, not the most transparent to the modern reader.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 58