Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 81971 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #750 on: August 13, 2019, 04:00:54 am »

Anathem was much better than Seveneves, because it didn't try (and fail) at being hard scifi. I honestly don't remember much of the details of Anathem, but it's better than Seveneves, where all the details I remember are things that annoyed me/were blatantly unscientific/just didn't make any sense.

That being said, the prose in Seveneves is pretty good.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 26, 2019, 04:32:14 pm »

Bit of a bump but I'm finally reading a book that's appropriate for this thread.

Picked up Every Word You Cannot Say last night on a whim. As someone who isn't really into poetry, it's actually pretty good. It's basically self-care poetry and I'd give it a strong recommend.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 01, 2019, 11:16:40 pm »

English Teachers have instilled in me a terrible and lifelong hatred of reading that can only be suppressed for short periods.

So I've been catching up on the humor webcomic(s) Bobbins/Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery. It's called Bobbins again. It's very British in a very specific, mostly made-up way. It's about...well, it varies. Scary Go Round was mostly horror that turned out to not be so horrible. Bad Machinery was mysteries. Bobbins was mostly just story arcs that characters created by being entertaining idiots (which is also what caused the problems in the other comics).

catacombs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 07, 2019, 10:54:04 pm »

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 10:51:58 am by catacombs »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:11 am »

English Teachers have instilled in me a terrible and lifelong hatred of reading that can only be suppressed for short periods.

That's a shame. Reading is fun. Do you know of a genre that interests you?

Not really. Anything I used to enjoy takes longer to get started than I can manage to keep interested. I think I made it through the short story the obelisk from 2001 was introduced in, but it took 2 days.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 09, 2019, 04:40:06 pm »

I only read it once a year ago, but I'm suddenly struck by a desire to express my deep dislike of Stephen King's Elevation.

Spoiler: Plot details ahead (click to show/hide)
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 09, 2019, 05:54:54 pm »

Spoiler: Re:Elevation (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 09, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »

Yes. Pretty sure that's what he was doing during the last chapter.
                        - Random human lord

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 09, 2019, 06:34:02 pm »

I only read it once a year ago, but I'm suddenly struck by a desire to express my deep dislike of Stephen King's Elevation.

Spoiler: Plot details ahead (click to show/hide)
It's also a straight rip-off of an Asimov story, I think. One which actually had two versions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 09, 2019, 06:53:17 pm »

It's also a straight rip-off of an Asimov story, I think.
Any idea what it was called?

Oh, I almost forgot. The book won the Goodreads choice for horror... despite lacking any horror elements whatsoever. Imagine being an aspiring horror novelist and seeing that.
                        - Random human lord

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 09, 2019, 06:59:58 pm »

It's also a straight rip-off of an Asimov story, I think.
Any idea what it was called?

Oh, I almost forgot. The book won the Goodreads choice for horror... despite lacking any horror elements whatsoever. Imagine being an aspiring horror novelist and seeing that.
"Belief"
http://www.asimovreviews.net/Stories/Story013.html
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 03, 2020, 12:36:29 am »

Speaking of Stephen King, I just finished Revival, which was... oddly paced, but on the whole I would recommend it.

I'm re-reading his Dark Tower series; currently on Wizard and Glass.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 07, 2020, 09:41:44 pm »

Been reading a LOT of Dianna Wynn Jones books. Read most of the books of the Chrestomanci series ( just haven't read Witch Week or Magicians of Caprona, they don't really have much to do with the main cast ) and I'm on book 3 of the Moving Castle series.

Just absolutely wonderful stories of magic and people.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 05, 2020, 02:18:45 am »

I'm reading The Shipping News, by... Annie Proulx, I believe the name is.

Pretty sure I've read other stuff since I last posted in here, but I'm a li'l drunk and I just want to rave about this book. I was loving it pretty much from the first chapter.
It's like a perfect book for me. A mixture of the often-bleak minuteae of everyday existence, presented in abstract prose that is beautiful in its starkness, adventure in a strange, sometimes inhospitable foreign place, a deep delve into human nature, family and emotions without ever waxing philosophical or dragging on in the least, a fascinating setting (described in just enough detail) whose inhabitants keep memories of their land's past close to their hearts and tell stories of it even as the modern age forges ahead leaving them behind, and, well, a relatable, hopeless goof of a protagonist with a good heart and a smooth brain.

I don't know, a lot of these words of description I came up with when I'd first started reading this book and I probably didn't get my points across nearly as eloquently as I'd hoped to, but still.
It just keeps getting better, too. Can't believe I'd never even heard of this author.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 05, 2020, 02:24:04 am »

Finally digging into Shogun by James Clavell. I found a copy in my father's house and read the first chapter - I was a bit dubious at first, but past that I have really started getting into it.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 58