Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 81845 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #810 on: July 02, 2020, 10:56:39 am »

I fucking loved it. I loved the main characters, I loved the yetis, I loved how gripping the struggles of the people were even before the bigfoots entered the picture. The whole thing was a suspenseful thrill ride.
I'm torn. The plural of "bigfoot" should clearly be either "bigfeet" or "bigsfoot".

Sorry, this isn't a very useful book-related comment, as I haven't read this one myself. Not yeti!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 03, 2020, 02:07:46 am »

As a sasquatch, I prefer bigfooti

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 03, 2020, 09:11:07 am »

Sorry, this isn't a very useful book-related comment, as I haven't read this one myself. Not yeti!
You should be ashamed. That was just abominable.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

gamerboy3456

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 28, 2020, 08:29:25 am »

So today I came across a problem. The problem is, we don't appear to have a Reading thread! I decided to remedy this problem! As a result here is a thread to talk about what you're reading, what you have just read and what you think of books in general.

Personally, I'm reading Knife of Dreams the 11th book in the Wheel of Time series, I took a break from this series for a while and in this break I read the 1st Book in the Malazan Books of the Fallen series. For my next book I'm torn between Deadhouse Gates and The gathering Storm. What do you guys think I should read.

Im reading "The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes", the new Hunger Games book.

The story centers on an 18-year-old Snow, who has been chosen to mentor one of District 12's Tributes in the 10th Hunger Games.

So far I really like the book.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2020, 07:53:08 am »

Finished the first of Robin Hobb's sagas ( the Farseer Trilogy ) and boy did I love that ending.

And not just because of the

Can't wait to start the next trilogy
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2020, 09:36:42 am »

Finished the first of Robin Hobb's sagas ( the Farseer Trilogy ) and boy did I love that ending.

And not just because of the

Can't wait to start the next trilogy

The second trilogy kind of sucks just so that you know

My advice is that you do like Paul Muad'Dib suggests and apply the attitude of the knife

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 09, 2020, 10:16:03 am »

So, YAGNI but with sandworms?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 01, 2020, 07:01:14 pm »

My advice is that you do like Paul Muad'Dib suggests and apply the attitude of the knife

Do you mean the Liveship Traders trilogy or the Tawny Man?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 01, 2020, 07:20:53 pm »

I finished reading A Fraction of the Whole, by Steve Toltz. It was... interesting.   
At first I found it really, really good, but I don't know if the later parts dragged a bit or what but by the end it seemed to me that there was quite a bit of, I don't know, filler? I think with some of the philosophical musings (or practical musings on philosophical characters) they started to repeat themselves and overlap as the book went on.   
By the seventh time you see the phrase "a philosopher who'd thought himself into a corner" or however it went, it kinda starts to grate a bit.   

Anyway, that's over and done with, on the whole I liked it. Now I am bouncing around between books like a pinball in the bumper zone.   
I seem to have finally settled on Hoot by Carl Hiaasen. It's technically a book for kids, but it's interesting just to see Hiaasen clean up his usual themes a bit in order to write it, while still retaining some good storytelling. I don't know, aren't his books really books for big kids at the best of times? In my experience they're generally pretty fun once you wipe off the violence, drugs, sex and violent drug-crazed sex offenders.   
Hoot keeps his common environmentalist themes, too, which I think is pretty cool for a kids' book. Not sure how realistic the dialogue that takes place between the younger characters is, but I've forgotten what normal kids talked like and I've never been to school in Florida, for that matter, so I can suspend my disbelief easily enough.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 02, 2020, 04:05:59 am »

Do you mean the Liveship Traders trilogy or the Tawny Man?
Tawny Man, and Fitz and the Fool trilogies. Never read the liveships.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 07, 2020, 11:14:35 am »

A little over half-way through Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre.   
This book is pretty much friggin' fantastic, so far. Reminds me a little of Irvine Welsh (in a very different setting) with its conversational narration, observational comedy and the slow, seemingly inevitable trainwreck of tragedy, horror, the worst/pettiest aspects of human nature, lowbrow existentialism, hard-earned wisdom, almost Kafkaesque elements and, of course, a wee bit of creative self-medication.   
Hell, that description sounded almost clever. Maybe I shoulda saved that for Goodreads. Dang.   

Bought this ages ago for next to nothing from an op shop, just one of a whole bag of secondhand books. Had no idea what to expect from it but it looked at least somewhat interesting, or maybe just really weird, so in it went - and I sure am glad it did.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 21, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »

Found Terry Pratchett's Making Money while helping my brother move. Read it on breaks, almost finished it now during a power outtage. It's really something, particularly rereading it so much later.

Aside from the Pratchett humor which makes it easy reading, I always loved it as an explanation of fiat currency. The main plot is about a reformed con man bringing The City out of the gold standard, doing his best to convince to the masses that the gold never mattered. Which he happens to believe, though he uses his old tricks to convince them.

But the golem plot is very important too. It potentially subverts the fiat argument, but it... well:

Also I enjoyed World War Z very much, will remember to check out Max Brook's Devolution. The movie was mediocre and almost unrelated to the source material, not even exaggerating.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:39:58 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2020, 05:38:50 pm »

I feel like Devolution will be easier to adapt while remaining relatively faithful. It's a lot more contained to one area, and focuses really on one group of people more than anything. I doubt they'll keep the Max Brooks found footage framing device,  but whatever.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 22, 2020, 08:12:32 pm »

Finished Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. There is something about his books and mixing reality and fantasy, that's far more believable than what other Authors pull off.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 05, 2020, 10:03:28 am »

I could really use some dark Russian philosophical novels. I've been looking at How the Steel Was Tempered, but I also have only read a little of Dostoevsky. Any suggestions? Really looking for the slow build.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 58