Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multi Z-Level Buildings  (Read 1639 times)

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Multi Z-Level Buildings
« on: January 18, 2015, 03:15:31 am »

With multi-z-level trees, the one-tile-high windmills are looking rather odd. Currently the closest single buildings get to spanning multiple z-levels are wells dropping buckets, unless you count stuff like vertical axles.

Windmills and water wheels ought to be 3x1x3 squares (possibly larger for windmills, but that may get into shapes that are too complicated for the game to handle until the moving-parts update?). It would also give floodgates a better niche if they were built over an empty space and extended one z-level down (maybe making a floor or having controls on top). Supports may be extendable upwards, for aesthetics until cave-ins work again, and drawbridges could finally require/use vertical space (being built as cuboid "rooms" that are mostly passable). This would also be a good framework for things like (non-step-) ladders.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Z-Level Buildings
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 12:12:30 pm »

Sadly I don't have much to say other than I support this idea.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:14:05 pm »

This is a good idea.

Large enough bridges should need Z-level space when retracted.

I think toady has already mentioned future plans for traps to take up multiple squares with for example the stone being positioned at the top of a stone trap.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 03:19:31 pm »

Aren't several tile creatures also planned?

Good idea by the way

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 04:22:51 pm »

Eventually but probably not for a while

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:27:22 am »

I always imagined dwarven drawbridges to be a series of 1-wide segments that retracted like a piece of paper folded into an accordion.

As such, it wouldn't take up more than 1 z-level when raised.  Short little guys really know how to do space-saving.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:16:24 am »

That's actually... genius! But that would probably apply better to the retractable bridges configuration. The atom smashing kind would indeed need to be raised like a whole piece to come down and perform said atom smashing.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

catten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 05:09:53 pm »

That's actually... genius! But that would probably apply better to the retractable bridges configuration. The atom smashing kind would indeed need to be raised like a whole piece to come down and perform said atom smashing.
Nah. Dwarven accordion-bridges just exploit the same physics that goblin whips use to destroy your dwarves: the end segment approaches the speed of light, annihilating everything in its path. The bridge is bigger, though, so you get an atom smasher instead of a light sabre.

The difference between retracting and raising bridges is just whether the fast-moving segment is at the outside (smash) or at the anchor (retract).