Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tallow is Delicious  (Read 3885 times)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tallow is Delicious
« on: January 18, 2015, 07:46:55 pm »

I made some pork tallow this afternoon (cook pork fat scraps on low heat for a few hours to let the fat 'render' out of the 'meat' till its mostly liquid) and holy crap its amazing.

Tallow is the $%!& you should make some  8).

Has anyone else made any tallow?

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Tallow is Delicious
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:37 pm »

I have, and I agree.
that's why I like pork so much.. pretty fatty meat.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »

I made some pork tallow this afternoon (cook pork fat scraps on low heat for a few hours to let the fat 'render' out of the 'meat' till its mostly liquid) and holy crap its amazing.

Tallow is the $%!& you should make some  8).

Has anyone else made any tallow?

Makes sense that it tastes good. I mean, cheese is basically all fat and it tastes great.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:43:10 am »

I guess tallow biscuits aren't so disgusting after all. Go figure.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:37:12 am »

The closest thing I can recall is "greaves", which is solid enough to be pressed into biscuit shape.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:38:07 pm »

But what about the minced tallow roasts?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 09:06:33 pm »

I can cook. I do it every day I work, and yeah fat if rendered properly is delicious. People think fat makes you fat, it doesnt fat is coverted into useable energy, its just that it has a high calorie count and if you dont work it off, BOOM you are what you eat
But what about the minced tallow roasts?
Depends what you cook it with, I would suggest any meat that would normaly dry out during roasting and any root/bulb vegetables that you like.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:49:22 am »

Before butter, people used to use lard a lot for stuff like biscuits and pie crusts.  Some of it still survives today - Yorkshire pudding, for example, uses beef fat.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:39 pm »

More or less, isn't gravy basically just spiced tallow (flavored by some of the meat and marrow), to a degree?

The thought kinda came to me last year during Thanksgiving. Basically, gravy is semi-liquid fat we glob onto our food. Cleaner tallow is basically food shortening for other things, and essentially lard.

If Toady ever makes machines require more maintainence than usual, tallow could be used as a greasing agent for mechanisms to keep them working in full-swing. Of course, goblins and such could grease up the gearworks as they go through the trap gauntlet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:47:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 03:40:51 pm »

More or less, isn't gravy basically just spiced tallow (flavored by some of the meat and marrow), to a degree?

I think there is usually flour in gravy at least there was at Thanksgiving when my Dad made it mmmmm...

suburbanplankton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:41:31 pm »

We've currently got several pounds of raw pig fat in the freezer (a friend raises pigs and sold us half of one last year).  My wife periodically thaws some out and renders it into lard...it is indeed a seriously tasty comestible, and makes for the best biscuits you've ever tasted.

On a related note: bacon fat, saved off into a jar and solidified, beats butter nine ways to Sunday as a topping for toast.

Buckley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 04:56:41 pm »

What could possibly be better than pork tallow and beer while you are hammering away at rock over the top of a chasm filled with hot magma below?

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 05:53:49 pm »

I think there is usually flour in gravy at least there was at Thanksgiving when my Dad made it mmmmm...

Traditional way to make gravy: heat animal fat until it melts (or use the fat/other liquids that came out while cooking meat). Add a bit of flour or starch and let it cook it a bit. Mix in broth (or milk for a cream gravy), season to taste, cook until it starts to thicken.

So yes, fat and flour/starch are indeed the main components to most gravies, and really, tallow(fat) and flour sounds like exactly the sort of thing dwarves are prone to making in their kitchens.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 03:58:09 am »

This sounds like we need a cooking advice thread, I havnt found one (didnt look that hard tho)
I may just do this.
What could possibly be better than pork tallow and beer while you are hammering away at rock over the top of a chasm filled with hot magma below?
And to answer this, nothing but a chilled beer.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 09:06:07 am »

Pork crackle is incredible. My favourite part of roast pork.
Pages: [1] 2