Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Change grid size?  (Read 3886 times)

Artalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Change grid size?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:09:21 am »

Greetings everyone.
Forgive me if this question was already asked and answered, but my searches were fruitless. If there already exists a solution, please give me some directions, because I couldn't find any.

Is there any possibility to increase the size of an ingame "character" elements? Assume I use 16x16 graphic tileset and launch the game in 1280x400 window - then I can see the grid of 80:25 characters (with approximately 47 characters per line on main screen, when the commands screen is shown). But my eyes are not as sharp as falcon's, so I can't differ all the details of tileset (is this dwarf holding a spear, staff, or a pitchfork? is this a hunting dog or a war dog?). If the characters would be 32x32 (so there would be 23 of them instead of 47), everything would be fine, and apparently there is such feature as zooming in and out, but unfortunately I can not zoom the screen closer then x1.0 scale...

I guess if I had a larger display everything would be fine, but I can't afford one (neither I like 16:9 displays at all). I tried playing with different screen resolutions in INIT.txt and resolutions of graphics .BMPs, but no luck. Tried the game in pure ASCII mode, but it becomes too hardcore. Also I found some mentions of [GRID:80:25] parameter, but there is no such in my INIT.txt, and adding it didn't change anything.

So if there is a solution, I would be very happy to look at one.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Change grid size?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:22 am »

My scroll wheel changes the zoom level.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:30 am »

IIRC The game has a minimum grid size of 80x25, which works out as 16 pixel tiles for your resolution of 1280. The only way to zoom in is to use a bigger window and/or bigger tileset :)

There are some large tilesets here, listed with the minimum resolution needed: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 01:00:52 pm »

You used to be able to stretch it with an ini setting, but since the windows became resizeable I'm not sure how this works.

You used to be able to set Blank Space to NO and it would stretch the tiles for you as you scaled up the resolution, but then the grid size was locked at 80x25 and as you increased the window size (or full screen'd it) it would stretch that to fill.

I'm not sure if this is possible any longer, now that the game scales up to larger grid sizes, you may be forced to get a larger tile set.  Some of them come in very large sizes, so you should be able to find something out there to your liking.

You may also try downloading the Legacy graphics version, rather than the SDL version.  It may be missing the grid-resizing feature, allowing your existing tiles to be stretched.  I'm not sure on this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 01:07:47 pm »

Oh!  totally, this.  If you are using a touch pad like I am, or otherwise dont have a scrollwheel, you can bind this function to the keyboard.

I think some of the starter packs bind it to [] automatically, but just hit ESC and go to Key Bindings and General.  You'll find the zoom settings in there, just bind it to some keys and you should be able to zoom in and out.

Artalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 02:34:24 am »

Indeed, but as I said, I can only zoom so close that 16x16 tiles would be 16x16. I can zoom out so they'd become about 2x2 and I'd be able to see very far in all directions (bird's-eye view), but can't zoom in so they'd become bigger than 16x16.
That's the "problem", all solutions that I've seen are related to "-how can I see more tiles on my screen?- -zoom out-" rather than to "how can I see less tiles")

The only way to zoom in is to use a bigger window and/or bigger tileset :)
There are some large tilesets here
I tried to manually increase the .BMPs of my tileset to 2 and 4 times bigger (also editing object_***.txt), and also downloaded new ones, but couldn't find any differences. If I get this right, bigger tilesets are only valuable if you have big enough display, so instead of stretching 16x16 tiles game can draw 24x24 or 32x32 ones.

You may also try downloading the Legacy graphics version, rather than the SDL version.  It may be missing the grid-resizing feature, allowing your existing tiles to be stretched.
Thank you. I checked the Legacy version and yes it has [GRID] parameter though it says that "Minimum x is 80.  Minimum y is 25."... So I guess no big tiles for me unless I somehow manage to increase the window width beyond 1280. Anyway after playing for some more time I came to a conclusion that the text- and actions- parts of game are more significant then graphics)

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:05:49 am »

Indeed, but as I said, I can only zoom so close that 16x16 tiles would be 16x16. I can zoom out so they'd become about 2x2 and I'd be able to see very far in all directions (bird's-eye view), but can't zoom in so they'd become bigger than 16x16.
That's the "problem", all solutions that I've seen are related to "-how can I see more tiles on my screen?- -zoom out-" rather than to "how can I see less tiles")
I can zoom in, not just out. I think mifki's answer must identify the difference between our DF installs:
Just use dfhack + twbt.
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

Artalus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 06:13:29 pm »

Just use dfhack + twbt.
Oh. My. God.
Спасибо! Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!