Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Food Preservation  (Read 2071 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Food Preservation
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 11:21:00 pm »

Re: temperature underground, isn't it the case that the deeper you dig, the warmer it gets? You certainly shouldn't expect to be able to leave food out near the magma sea, but I'd say it probably applies to all of the cavern layers. (Unless you use nether-caps).

for drying food, as zone-workshops get more important I'd love to see one used for this sort of thing. Use it for food preparation but also buckets of salt water
Oh yeah, nether-cap. That'd be a good reason to go to the bottom cavern layer. nether-cap barrels would be the dwarven refrigerator.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Tardigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Food Preservation
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 04:27:08 pm »

I remember seeing an article about 1,000+ year old butter preserved in peat in some swamp in Ireland, although since DF doesn't have butter anyway, it may be a moot point.

I may be wrong, but that sounds like bog butter to me, which is believed to be the remnants of ancient stashes of butter and tallow that were buried and never recovered. I don't think it's edible any more but it would probably have worked as a shorter term preserving technology.

There are reliable reports of honey remaining edible for centuries, though. I don't have it to hand but there are details in "The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us" by Bee Wilson.

Making vinegar for preserving should be very easy, though. I have been known to do it by accident on several occasions when winemaking  :D

And don't forget drying when it comes to preserving meat! Or mushrooms, or pretty much anything.
Pages: 1 [2]