Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [BUG] Cant find food = food disappears +1.5  (Read 631 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
[BUG] Cant find food = food disappears +1.5
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

Just recently i created a fort with the intention of allowing only a single dwarf to do all the work, and it was going quite well, at least until the dwarves i were forcing to stay outside got hungry, then began to starve; apparently, if they cannot find their way to food, the food becomes inaccessable to everyone. It basically ceases to exist from the Overview (Z) and thus ceases to exist from the minds of every dwarf that can access food. Fortunetly the way to prevent this is to create a meal in the kitchen; those food items (along with drinks and seeds) can never become "lost" or at least, it certainly seems to be that way.

Wether or not the dwarves are or are not military may matter, but i didn't have time to test it...

The second bug is a crash bug (this is the +1) I had qued a door removal (which was between two first-level of engraving (smooth) walls) and had the first metalsmith stuck outside; attempting to starve him to death -- the caravan had also arrived moments later. Anyways, starvation hit and the metalsmith started to look for food, but AGAIN caused the above bug (the only entrace to the fort and thus food store was barred; the smith was still active for military duty) of food-disappearance (even though there were 20 plump helmets in barrels in the food store)

Then the single dwarf that had the door-removal qued finally got around to doing the job, and just moments (like seconds) after the door turned to the door plan (looks like you cut a + in half down the middle and pulled it apart a bit) image, the game crashed.

And as a side note (this is the +0.5  ;) )
I find it VERY weird that a dwarf which is On Break can be forced back to work by switching the dwarf to active military service, and then a few seconds of active game time passes, and switched back to a civilian, the dwarf will no longer be on their break; and thus will return to work. This exact same EXPLOIT* can be used to break up parties... Practically every job that isn't hunger, sleep, or drink related can be "Erased" in this fassion.

* If dwarves were ment to be forced back to work, there'd be a button for it! BTW, can we have that button? At a cost to dwarves' happyness of course.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: [BUG] Cant find food = food disappears +1.5
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:04:00 am »

I'm having a similair problem.  I just abandoned a game wherein I lasted three winters before running out of stored food.  I had to do something SO I queued up dogs to be slaughtered for my dwarves to eat.  They slaughtered the first one and ate the [10] meat from the him.  But then, after going into tantrums, they would starve without eating the second batch of freashly slaughtered dog meat.  They even hunted for vermin.  Now, I had half a dozen or so dogs queued up for slaughter - shouldn't it have kept my 33 guys satiated a little bit longer?

[ August 27, 2006: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

[ August 27, 2006: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: [BUG] Cant find food = food disappears +1.5
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 09:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>* If dwarves were ment to be forced back to work, there'd be a button for it! BTW, can we have that button? At a cost to dwarves' happyness of course.</STRONG>

Seconded. You already do get a little unhappiness from activating and de-activating someone... but you can eliminate that unhappiness if the target has any weapons skills, which doesn't really make sense. The unhappiness for forcing someone off break should be more noticeable (maybe they'd try to resume their interrupted break after a couple weeks of gametime, so you'd have to keep interrupting them and getting more unhappiness if you wanted them to work continuously) and shouldn't be based on whether they have any soldier skills. Giving all starting dwarves 1 rank in Wrestling is a decent investment just to get around this.