Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Being abducted in Adventure Mode  (Read 8221 times)

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Being abducted in Adventure Mode
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:15 pm »

We know that in worldgen people get abducted.In Fortress Mode babies get abducted by snatchers.And in Adventure mode you will receive quests to rescue the king's son or whatever.

Based on this info we can say that the abduction system is pretty complex,but I think there is something missing.

The basic idea is that when the player gets ambushed and fails to beat the goblins he will get knocked unconscious and the goblins will bring you to their fortress instead of brutally murdering you and your companions.After that,you will awake inside a "cell block" deep inside the fortress's structure naked,unarmed and severely wounded.You will be forced to follow orders from the wardens like "Follow me,human trash!","Carry those bodies,you dirty slave" and even say some really offensive shit to specific races like:"You know what you really are,Urist?A DRUNK,FAT,HAIRY AND TINY PILE OF SHIT!","You know why you will never be manly,Cacame?Because YOU ARE A BLOODY ELF AND ELVES ARE A BUNCH OF GAY IDIOTS THAT CARE ABOUT TREES!!".(I was going to write something about kobolds but it was too heavy to post here)

The player will have to choice what they want to do about their imprisonment:

-Make a escape plan with others prisoners.
-Accept their destiny and become soldiers in name of the goblins.
-Make a prison riot to takeover the site.
-Create another character to save the original one.

In addition a abduction system like that would make the players care more about rescue quests and add new quests that aren't just about killing things,like saving your friends or family members.

I think it would be a nice touch to see abductions from the victim's perspective and see what actually happens in Dark Fortresses.

A medium-sized creature prone to madness and insanity.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Being abducted in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:20:06 pm »

It'll happen eventually, soon players will be able to bring people to justice and themselves be brought to justice as well.  Kidnapping is only naturally added in after that.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:29 pm »

Minor problem in that adults aren't abducted, just children are. Goblins do take prisoners and use slavery though, so that would probably be a better way to think about it. When goblins abduct children they brainwash them into being a goblin pretty much, but presumably past 12 years old they're too set to be brainwashed and if they were captured would just be used as slaves.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:44 am »

Goblin only likes children, while night troll is interested in adult as well.

When an adventurer enters a night troll's territory, he could be abducted and would suffer certain cosmetic surgery.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

ribby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 02:47:47 pm »

I like the idea of the possibility of being kidnapped if knocked out during combat- could add a little character to enemies i.e are they the sort to stab a foe who is incapacitated? And fun stuff could happen when you wake up- supposing you're captured by a necromancer and wake up with your arms replaced with swords or the results of some other kind of bizarre experiment.

Examples:
1. One arm missing
2. Third arm
3. hands replaced with feet and feet replaced with hands
4. weapons in place of hands: 1. swords 2. axes 3. whips 4. shields
5. gills (hopefully you still have lungs)
6. you become some kind of slime beast- like the giant sponge perhaps, hard to kill but really slow
7. wings
8.both legs missing.
9. 2 heads. you could talk to the other head like an npc
10. bogeymen chase you during the day and the night
11. you can hover over water
12. when you sleep, everyone within a certain radius died/burns/freezes/becomes undead

You could also wake up with nightbeasts preparing to cook you- and have to sneak out. Or some hideous creature has decided to make you its mate and you have to sneak out/ live a happy life with it. Or in some kind of arena with goblins forcing you to fight captured beasts.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 03:45:31 pm »

Being captured at combat levels below no quarter would be a good mechanic to add. Goblins could capture adults, but they would just enslave them rather than integrating them.

Surgery of that sort is far beyond DF technology and would just result in bloody death, as much real mediaeval surgery did.

Dwarves would never use "gay" as an insult, since homosexuality is openly acceptable. "Tree-fucker" would be a more likely epithet for an elf.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 03:08:28 am »

Well, if you are abducted as an adult, you wold probably be subjected to horrible tortures, gladiatorialism and Roman Empire-grade of slavery. But maybe you can start a game as a human/dwarf/elf who was kidnapped by gonlins while (s)he was a child. Then you would start as a member of that goblin civ, you would be able to roam their dark pits and towers and be not-hostile with that tribe (altough not all tribes of gobbos).
And also, what were you going to write about kobolds? I'm curious, because I doubt that any insult would be hard to a kobold, whose race is constantly insulted anyway and whose little dograt brain can't understand words that other races speak.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 07:44:11 am »

Being taken as slave and attempted to be pacified would be a great distraction from the great dullness that is the rest of the game.
At least then you'd have a purpose behind kicking some ass and getting the hell out of some place.

instead of constantly sailing the great sea of pointlessness as you do now

oh_no

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:19 am »

Well, if you are abducted as an adult, you wold probably be subjected to horrible tortures, gladiatorialism and Roman Empire-grade of slavery. But maybe you can start a game as a human/dwarf/elf who was kidnapped by gonlins while (s)he was a child. Then you would start as a member of that goblin civ, you would be able to roam their dark pits and towers and be not-hostile with that tribe (altough not all tribes of gobbos).
And also, what were you going to write about kobolds? I'm curious, because I doubt that any insult would be hard to a kobold, whose race is constantly insulted anyway and whose little dograt brain can't understand words that other races speak.

Roman slaves were not all tortured horribly or forced to be gladiators. Some lived relatively comfortably and eventually earned their freedom.

Maybe you could start the game as a goblin. Why should only 3 sapient species be playable?
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »

For me kobolds are the weakest race in DF,however,since goblins are capable of brainwash people to do their dirty job and kobolds are a little retarded them everyone else,they would be used to do just about anything the gobbos tell them to do.

Literally anything

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 03:16:24 pm »

I also think that an interrogation system would be nice.

Master:What's your king's name?Were is his seat of power?

You:I will never tell you!

Master:*Punches you in the face*-Tell me or I will be forced to cut your arm!*Non-lethal stab in lower body*

You:Alright...my king's name is Bembul Carrast,his seat of power is in -insert town name-

Master:Very good....

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 06:05:23 pm »

Violent interrogation is massively unreliable and messy, so that would have to be implemented as well. Giving goblins the third degree about their planned attacks may sound good in theory, but would be far more likely to end in a mess of some prisoners squealing, other misleading deliberately and others still confessing to anything to stop the torment. The lack of subtlety that goes naturally with violence also makes picking apart believable cover stories much harder, since people wanting quick answers tend to accept the first thing when in a hurry to stop the next attack. Securing the long term cooperation of the prisoners is also somewhat more difficult if they have been treated brutally (ask how many POWs from the Viet Nam war came back communist).

If the system is implemented remotely realistically, torture should usually be less effective than non violent interrogation if the goal is to get the truth, especially if the truth cannot be checked easily as in where the king lives. Torture gets quick answers, but not always or even usually the right ones, even discounting the chance that the victim does not know the truth. If the goal is just to get quick confession, regardless of truth, there is nothing better than torture, hence why is has persisted among inquisitions and show trial dictatorships over the years.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:27:09 pm by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 07:19:49 pm »

I also think that an interrogation system would be nice.

Master:What's your king's name?Were is his seat of power?

You:I will never tell you!

Master:*Punches you in the face*-Tell me or I will be forced to cut your arm!*Non-lethal stab in lower body*

You:Alright...my king's name is Bembul Carrast,his seat of power is in -insert town name-

Master:Very good....
That would be a terrible moment to be a human outcast.

For me kobolds are the weakest race in DF,however,since goblins are capable of brainwash people to do their dirty job and kobolds are a little retarded them everyone else,they would be used to do just about anything the gobbos tell them to do.

Literally anything
Mate the 888th, Garbage dwarf cancels typing: went outside to clear horrible mental image.
Altough kobolds are stupid, so gobbos would have a hard time making them even understand what they are saying. So it would be several terrible months before the bold can understand and do menial tasks, those they are not too weak to do. And that's only if whoever is teaching the bold the greenskin tounge doesn't kill the kobold out of frustration.
I also think that kobolds would not be reliable slaves anyways, because of their lacking strenght and intelligence, but they would work like Warhammer orcs use snotlings, letting them free on their settlements to live off the refuse, occasionally being eaten or forced to do menial tasks, being kept as pets and maybe even used to sneak into enemy lines/small spaces goblins can't fit trough or as cannon fodder.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 07:53:41 am »

Kobolds could fit more in the role of work animals like dogs than sapient slaves. They could be trained to do something as simple as shriek on seeing approaching enemies; even geese can do that.

A human outcast would just make up a king's name and distant location, one of the reasons that torture is of dubious use in intelligence gathering.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:55:37 am by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.

King_of_Baboons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 08:40:32 am »

Mate the 888th, Garbage dwarf cancels typing: went outside to clear horrible mental image.

Hey,you asked for it.

But you're right,kobolds could be used to infiltrate towns, maybe to steal important combat equipment or even be used as troll food.

Pages: [1] 2