Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 5.1 beta  (Read 29564 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions! v 3.1
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:54 pm »

Thanks, going to bed now, I will make sure to test it tomorrow. I cannot explain how happy I am that this exists.
Same here :)

Its perfect for Peridexis beginner pack too. More player info is always nice.

Wow, yeah. This is awesomely helpful for new players  - and like TwbT item tiles, easy to set up for vanilla.  This is going to be awesome.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions!
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 08:19:35 pm »

You can put URLs in it, and if the player presses ENTER then DF will minimize and the link will open in the default browser. I tested that.
That's in WTF text. Since I don't know how complicated it would be to render WTF on the item description screen, I was asking if it's possible to launch a URL from DFHack (from an alt-h command or something).

Of course, if WTF is trivial then it's a moot point.

Edit: Link to the WTF editor.  Still don't know what it takes to render WTF text to the screen.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 12:13:45 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 01:18:17 am »

Item descriptions are like the one thing that have been missing since forever because how are you even supposed to know that a Kisre is a tiny dagger and a Kisraee is a huge two-handed sword and a Bisbeth is actually a spear.

jesus fuck finally
thanks

oh_no

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »

You can put URLs in it, and if the player presses ENTER then DF will minimize and the link will open in the default browser. I tested that.
That's in WTF text. Since I don't know how complicated it would be to render WTF on the item description screen, I was asking if it's possible to launch a URL from DFHack (from an alt-h command or something).

Of course, if WTF is trivial then it's a moot point.

Edit: Link to the WTF editor.  Still don't know what it takes to render WTF text to the screen.

Thanks for the link. I perfectly understand the format of text in text viewer screen and my script could do anything with default DF description page, but i have no idea how to make text screen update after it has been loaded. It seems that only source text can be easilty changed (i use gm-editor), not the one already on the screen... If anyone knows how to make game refresh text viewscreen, i could make the script that lets you alter it, with colors and all the cool stuff.
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 09:08:47 pm »

The main problem is that Lua interacts with the text viewscreen really weirdly. AFAIK it's a char[], but it just treats it as a char or something so it displays wrongly.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 12:17:21 am »

The main problem is that Lua interacts with the text viewscreen really weirdly. AFAIK it's a char[], but it just treats it as a char or something so it displays wrongly.

The text on the screen does not change when I alter source_text fields in gm-editor. BUT if i change indents, the changes can be seen.
Custom item descriprions

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions! v 3.2
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 12:20:11 am »

I meant formatted_text, sorry.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 12:39:14 am »

I meant formatted_text, sorry.

Anyway, do you have any ideas how to make the screen actually update itself? :)
Custom item descriprions

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 01:05:27 am »

My rantings prayers have been answered! Can't believe I didn't see this earlier.

I will be using the hell out of this.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 05:34:41 am »

Good news. Seems that now I understand how I can add ASCII images for EVERYTHING in game (visible once you open its text description)

Does anyone know what runtime data should i alter to change zoom level? Or is it possible to give different size to popup characters?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:46:40 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 06:11:39 am »

:o

Omg, that will be such a fun project. Large ascii item and creature graphics for vanilla, I think I might do that. :D

Once you release this, please make sure to include an idiot-proof manual plus example for people to work with.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 06:40:18 am »

:o

Omg, that will be such a fun project. Large ascii item and creature graphics for vanilla, I think I might do that. :D

Once you release this, please make sure to include an idiot-proof manual plus example for people to work with.

Sure :) i think i will use same filename algorythm as with extended item view, so people dont confuse so much if they are familiar with raw tokens
Custom item descriprions

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:28 am »

Quite easy, to be honest.

Now there can be an ASCII image for every item type (and subtype), and every creature/caste pair.

They are quite large and tend to occupy most of screen space, but that problem is to be solved in the future. I need some advice on how to make popup window stick to the bottom of the screen and how to dinamically change game's zoom level.

A good ASCII artist could make small images that look cool, but I just used avaliable image converter to make some examples.

I did not add any fancy things like different quality images or different images for different professions yet, but its quite possible.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:15:16 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 09:30:35 am »

I think black and white ascii is perfectly fine.

Is the size affected by the tileset you use? Did you try this out with Twbt? It looks like you got a pretty high screen resolution, I'm just wondering what happens to people that play on a netbook/laptop.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:22 am »

I think black and white ascii is perfectly fine.

Is the size affected by the tileset you use? Did you try this out with Twbt? It looks like you got a pretty high screen resolution, I'm just wondering what happens to people that play on a netbook/laptop.

Its twbt. ASCII is not compatible with traditional tileset mode, most  it looks like rubbish :). I tried that earlier. Yeah, I m ising 1920x1080 monitor, ASCII with fullscreen but in small window its not enough screen space to show whole large image (like example ones).
Custom item descriprions
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9