Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 5.1 beta  (Read 29545 times)

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 4.0 beta
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2015, 11:24:11 am »

PTW, great work, also letting you know that 3.2 is in latest Macnewbie.

However: I copied the item_description folder to df/raw and to save/raw, but can't make descriptions appear in game.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
According to debug mode this is the path the script tries to access:
Code: [Select]
/Applications/Macnewbie_9.16/Macnewbie/Dwarf Fortress/data/save/region3-lowfps\raw\item_descriptions\WEAPON\ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE.txtNote the difference in slashes after data/save/ I suspect this issue is present on linux too.

A different issue is with material properties illustrated here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those long lines need to be formatted differently to be usable.

1. Replaced the slashes in new version (which has been released just now)

2. I tested this with twbt and its standatd text tileset. I was to lazy to switch to 2D and check how it looks :) Ok its now just "fr." and" el.", hope this will be enough for strings to fit the screen.

I think we could really need some repository with descriptions. Its quite a tedious and long work, yet all it needs is to make summaries of wiki articles :) Just need to decide which forum section that thread will suit :)
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 4.0 beta
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2015, 11:36:52 am »

Have you considered hosting this on Github (or another git host)? It would make tracking and merging changes a lot easier, if it were to be included in DFHack, compared to downloading a single compressed file and trying to merge changes by hand. Scripts included in DFHack that are solely hosted on DFFD tend to become outdated quickly (see dfstatus for an example).
Also, this really should be in the utilities subforum.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 4.1 beta
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2015, 01:55:25 pm »

:O

this is so awesome
._.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2015, 02:07:53 pm »

1. Replaced the slashes in new version (which has been released just now)
2. I tested this with twbt and its standatd text tileset. I was to lazy to switch to 2D and check how it looks :) Ok its now just "fr." and" el.", hope this will be enough for strings to fit the screen.

Descriptions work now, and I think with fr. and el. the screen is usable.
There's a small problem with the line endings, the windows EOL symbols are interpreted as music notes on mac, converting to unix line endings solved this on my end.

ASCII pictures are still not displayed. Is there some configuration I'm missing to make them work?

Have you considered hosting this on Github (or another git host)? It would make tracking and merging changes a lot easier...
Also, this really should be in the utilities subforum.
Strongly agreed.
@lethosor: Since the wiki already stores all the raws and the descriptions, do you think there's an easy way to generate a bunch of text files from that db with the descriptions and the proper file names to kickstart this project?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2015, 04:54:59 pm »

@lethosor: Since the wiki already stores all the raws and the descriptions, do you think there's an easy way to generate a bunch of text files from that db with the descriptions and the proper file names to kickstart this project?
There's no difference between what's stored on the wiki and the raw files (in fact, the raws on the wiki may be outdated).

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2015, 05:11:32 pm »

There's no difference between what's stored on the wiki and the raw files (in fact, the raws on the wiki may be outdated).
For items that have descriptions in the raws, the wiki shows them in italics at the beginning of the article.  fricy is asking for the equivalent text being extracted from the wikitext so that it can be made into a brief description for a vanilla item that doesn't have a DESCRIPTION tag.

Gems seem to do this fairly consistently; I'm not sure what else on the wiki is that predictable.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2015, 05:17:28 pm »

For items that have descriptions in the raws, the wiki shows them in italics at the beginning of the article.  fricy is asking for the equivalent text being extracted from the wikitext so that it can be made into a brief description for a vanilla item that doesn't have a DESCRIPTION tag.

Gems seem to do this fairly consistently; I'm not sure what else on the wiki is that predictable.
It would be easier to extract that text from the raws - it's only the value of the [DESCRIPTION] token for creatures. (What items are you referring to?)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 05:51:05 pm »

It would be easier to extract that text from the raws - it's only the value of the [DESCRIPTION] token for creatures. (What items are you referring to?)
Pretty much every item in the game that can be "viewed" but doesn't have a description in the raws (weapons, armor, tools, toys, etc.) plus all of the materials.  As I said, the gems might work, but I'm not too hopeful of finding a useable pattern in items' wikipages.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2015, 10:51:26 pm »

ASCII pictures are still not displayed. Is there some configuration I'm missing to make them work?

"ascii_item" and "ascii_unit" arguments enable corresponding ascii art

UPDATE: Added the script and the repository to GitHub
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:22:30 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2015, 02:43:30 am »

Fracture/Yield are in Kilopascals, btw.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2015, 04:02:40 am »

Fracture/Yield are in Kilopascals, btw.

thx, but I think i better omit the units to make lines shorter :)
Custom item descriprions

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2015, 04:07:10 am »

Wait, or maybe just pascals. Either way, it's 2-3 character (kPa, Pa)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 4.2 beta
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2015, 04:57:39 am »

I agree, this should be in utilities.

Once a complete set with descriptions and ascii art is done, it can be released as a mod.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2015, 10:16:43 am »

Yields for steel should be in the ballpark of 200 MPa so tread accordingly
._.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 10:33:01 am »

Oh man i was hoping that somebody does this! First time my laziness pays off :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9