Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Extended item viewscreen, custom item descriptions and ASCII art 5.1 beta  (Read 29277 times)

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi guys, while my mod is not ready for release, i decided to upload a standalone version of one of my last scripts.

It shows vast amount of useful information on item view screen. Armor and weapon properties, important material stats. Easy and convenient - does not need to be manually activated every time, works in fortress and adventure modes. Custom descriptions can be added to every kind of item or material - they are stored in txt files and thus easily moddable. Also spports moddable ASCII images for every creature and item in the game. Double tap Enter of ESC to close ASCII image popup.

Download here (or from GitHub)

Desription repository - feel free to contribute!

Here are examples how it looks:

Currently shows user-defined text, material info and temperature for all non-caste items (and even bone body parts 8) ), armor properties, weapon stats for weapons and combat-usable tools, food properties for suitable items. Does not replace existing lines (like reactions and ore metals).

Material strength data percentages are relative to IRON inorganic, or if it is absent (in your mod), to the first inorganic defined in the raws.

ASCII images are loaded from txt files. You may add your custom ascii images for every creature and items, usind their raw tokens (see modding instructions in the mod archive). To enable ASCII use "ascii_item" and "ascii_unit" arguments (in any order), e.g. run script with command "nb_item_info ascii_item"

Custom description guide:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I would really appreciate corrections related to phrases used by the script, since english is not my first language.

Tested with DFHack 0.40.23-r1 on Windows

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:11:21 am by Raidau »
Marital status manipulator
Custom item descriprions
Natural Balance Mod (2013-2015) development suspended...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [Utility script] Extended item viewscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:20 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=29.0

Also:

df.item_type[type] gives you the ID, you don't need that table lookup. df.item_type[id] gives you the type, as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:56:11 pm by Putnam »

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:24 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=29.0

Also:

df.item_type[type] gives you the ID, you don't need that table lookup. df.item_type[id] gives you the type, as well.

Thanks, i even have created a separate topic and asked how to get the id... Now I have the answer :)
Custom item descriprions

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:59:57 am »

This looks great!  Is there anywhere with all your scripts, and have you considered adding them to standard DFHack?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:38:53 am »

This looks great!  Is there anywhere with all your scripts, and have you considered adding them to standard DFHack?

Well.. this is the first script i posted so far, the mod is WIP and everything is being tested/redone quite often, this one is quite simple and vanilla-compatible, so I feel it was ready to be released stand-alone. I hope new DFHack will arrive soon (planning to release the alpha for 40.24)
Custom item descriprions

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:53:43 am »

Is there a chance for this to add/parse any additional information like description which is not visible to DF parser? It would be amazing to use this to actually explain what weapons/armors are and what they fit for.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:58 am »

Is there a chance for this to add/parse any additional information like description which is not visible to DF parser? It would be amazing to use this to actually explain what weapons/armors are and what they fit for.

Any next can be split into separate lines and added like this (i dont know if there is any limit of how many lines it shows). Even from external text file. I would not be hard to add this. (Actually i was thinking on making a separate mod that loads custom item description and shows it in pop-up window, but i gave up that idea in favor of this one.). I even think i know how to organize folder with custom descriptions to make it easily understandable for anyone who wish to expand the description database. Yeah, I feel like I gonna do this :)
Custom item descriprions

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:52 am »

That would be amazing, I always missed this possibility to describe what you add to total conversion mods so people would not be so confused.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 10:59:08 am »

That would be amazing, I always missed this possibility to describe what you add to total conversion mods so people would not be so confused.

Done, now there is a possibility to make descriptions for every item. I did not add any descriptions except some examples. Instructions also included in this release. I really hope people will be interested in this and fill descriptions for vanilla items (may just be short summaries from the wiki)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:45:29 pm by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Extended item viewscreen, custom item desctiptions!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:29:00 am »

Item descriptions... awesome!

This is a thing.  This specific thing is a noun.  It is composed of matter, and has both a size and an appearance.

I like that the descriptions file wouldn't interfere with anything if the script is not installed, but it might be better to have it tucked in a corner of the raw folder.  That way it should copy with a save and pack nicely with a mod.

No sweat if that's not feasible, it's not like Stonesense puts its custom item data under raw either.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:33:51 am »

Item descriptions... awesome!

This is a thing.  This specific thing is a noun.  It is composed of matter, and has both a size and an appearance.

I like that the descriptions file wouldn't interfere with anything if the script is not installed, but it might be better to have it tucked in a corner of the raw folder.  That way it should copy with a save and pack nicely with a mod.

No sweat if that's not feasible, it's not like Stonesense puts its custom item data under raw either.

Thats just the initial release, I consider moving descriptions to raw folder too :) Though it needs to open save folder if you wish to update your descriptions, which is less convenient... But yes, people use different mod with different descriptions. So it gets moved to the raw folder
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:49:29 am by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »

Done, now there is a possibility to make descriptions for every item. I did not add any descriptions except some examles. Instructions also included in this release. I really hope people will be interested in this and fill descriptions for vanilla items (may just be short summaries from the wiki)
Wooo, thank you very much for including it straight away! I am making my new mod from the scratch, so it's easier to include everything as I go and add items (and I mean it, I think I'm making everything but base materials) than to go through everything later and add descriptions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:18 pm »

Wooo, thank you very much for including it straight away! I am making my new mod from the scratch, so it's easier to include everything as I go and add items (and I mean it, I think I'm making everything but base materials) than to go through everything later and add descriptions.

I tell you more - right now im working on the same thing for materials - so every material can also be manually described and included in item description :)
Custom item descriprions

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 02:18:50 pm »

If you knew how many people wished for something like that. This is amazing. Truly. In terms of user-friendlyness, this trumps twbt's itemgraphics by far.

Custom descriptions of items.  :o

Damn...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Raidau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 02:24:19 pm »

If you knew how many people wished for something like that. This is amazing. Truly. In terms of user-friendlyness, this trumps twbt's itemgraphics by far.

Custom descriptions of items.  :o

Damn...

If you put some labor in the text file.. you can even have ASCII images of the items XD

Or this could be handy in-game wiki articles replacement, though it need a lot of time to fill everything...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:26:13 pm by Raidau »
Custom item descriprions
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9