Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 59355 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #855 on: January 19, 2021, 08:09:07 pm »

A book I found interesting was 1889 Nellie Bly's Around the World in 72 days, where she follows a similar path to Fogg. It is an excellent contrast to Verne. While Verne at times dips into the racist and imperialistic, Bly kicks your teeth in with very offensive observations of every non-white person she encounters. It is a tough and terrible read, but shows why Verne is relatively timeless while others of his time were not. It also casts some light on the problematic takeaways of Verne's work that probably a lot of people had at the time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 19, 2021, 08:56:22 pm »

I dont think I can be friends with anyone who dislikes 20k leagues.

Also worth noting that Verne was a bit of a political radical. Comes through in several of his novels, and its fairly notable in 20k for its antiimperialist themes.

Tbh I think Nemo works better as having an ambiguous origin than the original plan of making him polish or the latter plan of making him indian. The ambiguity of the man and of his enemies made him kind of universal
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • On the Internet, nobody knows you're a cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 20, 2021, 08:47:31 am »

I didn't say that I disliked it, but having 50%+ pages description of fish is rather...well stretched too long? Same with Frankenstein. Great Book, but a lot is basically him whining how unfair life is.  Both would have done better a bit more shortened imho.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58]