I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 569484 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3015 on: October 05, 2015, 01:51:10 am »

That's much too vulgar a display of power Karras
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: October 05, 2015, 02:01:42 am »

Ok I have a religiously themed statement for discussion:

An infinite randomness is more powerful than any god put forth by mainstream religions.

What about Fortuna? (or do defunct/former mainstream religions not count?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3017 on: October 05, 2015, 02:25:53 am »

Holy triplepost batman
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: October 05, 2015, 02:27:25 am »

That's much too vulgar a display of power Karras
Gentleman Jesus has no time for your vulgarities.
thincake

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: October 05, 2015, 03:56:42 am »

On the topic of miracles, I recall a famous one in which Jesus was healing people as they came, and some people crawled in through the roof. This seems rather public/well known about.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: October 05, 2015, 08:19:26 am »

As somebody who wasn't raised Christian, this conversation is bewildering.

Of course Jesus wasn't god. Was he a religious leader? Sure. Did he have a connection with god? Probably. Was he, himself, God? No, of course not.
Have you read Revalations?

Revalation 19:11-16 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

This is talking about the second coming of Jesus. I don't think a spiritual leader could manage any of this. (Also, reading this, you begin to understand why people were afraid of angels.)

On the topic of miracles, I recall a famous one in which Jesus was healing people as they came, and some people crawled in through the roof. This seems rather public/well known about.
Again, Jesus didn't heal him because he wanted to have Glory, he was doing ministry, and Jesus even used the faith of the man and his fiends as a teaching moment for the pharisees. Other times, the Bible describes Jesus as healing people because he had pity for them or because he could use their faith to teach people.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: October 05, 2015, 08:27:44 am »

Of course Jesus wasn't god. Was he a religious leader? Sure. Did he have a connection with god? Probably. Was he, himself, God? No, of course not.

Revalation 19:11-16 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

This is talking about the second coming of Jesus. I don't think a spiritual leader could manage any of this. (Also, reading this, you begin to understand why people were afraid of angels.)
Says you. And-slash-or traditional exegesis. Jesus is not mentioned by name anywhere here. Revelations is in general cryptic and circumlocutory enough that even self-styled literalists, as much as they'd hate to admit that, treat it like a metaphor; the difference is in the interpretation.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:46 am »

That part of the revelation was only later associated with Jesus. There's no canon source pointing to the first horseman being Jesus. That and the revelations are supposed to be mostly symbolic, unlike earlier prophecies made by Jesus, like the destruction of the Temple of Jerusalem, which happened decades after his death.

Even the whole deal of Jesus claiming to be the son of God is a bit shady, and may have been added later. Jesus only called God "father", and technically, God is everyone's father. If anything, Jesus was closer to God than anyone else, but never claimed to be God or a part of God even.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:41:58 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: October 05, 2015, 08:37:58 am »

Says you. And-slash-or traditional exegesis. Jesus is not mentioned by name anywhere here. Revelations is in general cryptic and circumlocutory enough that even self-styled literalists, as much as they'd hate to admit that, treat it like a metaphor; the difference is in the interpretation.
If you read earlier, Revelation says:
Revelation 19:9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”

At this I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God! For it is the Spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus.

This is an angel talking to John saying that both of them will bear testimony to Jesus, right after this, the white rider comes. Jesus also says alot in the Gospels that he is coming back.

How can you tell say this is a metaphor? It hasn't even happened yet!
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:49 am »

A lot of Revelations is intentionally cryptic and referential because of John's house arrest, I seem to recall. Don't want the Romans censoring all your Revelations because of blatant anarchy.
thincake

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: October 05, 2015, 09:29:28 am »

When you die all becomes irrelevant and you are born anew.
The oldest text in the world says so.
Dont believe me tho. Im a crazy sexy mfer.
But its true. The me being sexy part
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: October 05, 2015, 09:37:43 am »

Since when does "old" mean "right"? Should we return to the shame culture of the Romans/Greeks?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: October 05, 2015, 09:46:40 am »

No old isnt right, but the bible is old. And the vedas is a buzzy text.
Meditation and yoga work so alot of eastern ideas are actually proven to work in the scientific community.
While praying to a god who reads ur thoughts seems backward and acheives no results.
True gods demand blood
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: October 05, 2015, 09:53:28 am »

Despite the Troll feel of the above, I'm going to assume you actually meant what you said in the first half of your post.

Meditation and prayer both work in similar ways. The serve to focus the mind. This does not need to be done in a religious context - whether you pray for kindness from the universe or God, the effect is the same. So yes, Eastern meditative practices work, but that in no way adds to the validity of any religion.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:48 am »

Meditation and yoga work, but accepted science doesn't generally acknowledge chi or the other more spiritual aspects as truly 'spiritual', and those concepts are usually regarded as mental instead.

FAKEDIT: Above poster said the same kinda thing.
thincake
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 521