I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 572248 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5220 on: February 25, 2016, 09:24:10 am »

Whatever, I just like to come up with interpretations of christianity that are consistent with my own worldview.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 25, 2016, 10:19:12 am »

There are actually only a few verses that talk about the soul in the bible:
Spoiler: list (click to show/hide)
From these, it seems to me that sould is analogous to "being" Or whatever makes you different from everybody else. No verses about your soul going to heaven. I think that God just remakes your body in the afterlife and gives you the same soul or being as before.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5222 on: February 25, 2016, 02:23:57 pm »

Nah m8 it's fractals all the way down and up and beyond
Oddly enough, this matches my beliefs more than Quartz's comments.
And about the "made in God's image" thing, I think that evolution happens and God created a universe with the proper conditions for it but he also directs things along the way. And I believe that people are physically (not just mentally/spiritually) made in God's  image (although my ideas about the nature of God differ from most Christians, since I believe that there are three separate beings rather than a trinity and that the Father and Son have physical bodies, with the Spirit still a spirit).
I've always found something amazing by the endless nature of crystals composing crystals, from the quanta to the cosmos

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: February 25, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »

Father is Satan, Son is Jesus, Spirit is the Darksoul humans in general. They all hate each other individually, but communally agree on  everything.
I don't know if anyone actually believes that, but I can interpit things I don't believe however I want.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: February 25, 2016, 03:58:43 pm »

sin was a concept that people came up with from back when dualism was still the generally accepted explanation for consciousness and you know it buddy, can't really theologically say that it's a flaw of this mortal flesh when souls are supposed to exist
Regarding sin, what exactly is supposed to constitute as a sin and why? Is it just anything that is wrong? I know of course there's the Ten Commandments, but those were written for a very different time and you must read between the lines to find things applicable to modern life in some cases. Ex. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's* wife". Interpreted literally, I, as a male, could covet the wife of a man who is not my neighbor. A woman can covet any man she wants, but she cannot covet another man's wife... Doesn't make much sense. One of the reasons I hate when people try to treat the Bible as the one infallible truth(word for word), especially when reading a translation of it. *Neighbor likely = your fellow person, but it's not written as such.

Going off of the spirit of the word, I would read more as "Do not desire the spouse of any other person." As this applies universally, or at least over a much broader scope, instead of to a select situation.

What do you(pl.) think about sin?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: February 25, 2016, 04:09:35 pm »

Sin strikes me as a label used by early Christianity as a useful way of describing some kind of undesirable immorality possibly damaging to a bronze age society that contravened their framework of behaviour/ethics, which as the faith developed ended up this "beast" all of its own which dictates to people rather than some kind of socially beneficial prop, turning from a label to describe something into a manifested "thing" to be pandered to in some way. Certain acts/behaviours are now associated with the concept of sin as representative of it rather than the other way around - if that makes any kind of sense... this really is a hard thing for me to describe but it makes sense in my head.

Though, as with anything rooted in faith based postulations, as a non-tangible/unfalsifiable concept that can not be objectively shown, it is not something that I take seriously at all.
This is a blank sig.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5226 on: February 25, 2016, 05:12:40 pm »

how your soul would end up in heaven
Oh, that's easy. Christ promised the resurrection of the body. That phrase is repeated through the NT. We will be given new bodies to live in the new heavens and the new Earth.
The whole "souls going up to heaven" thing is a popular misconception that the Bible doesn't support at all.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: February 25, 2016, 05:55:32 pm »

how your soul would end up in heaven
Oh, that's easy. Christ promised the resurrection of the body. That phrase is repeated through the NT. We will be given new bodies to live in the new heavens and the new Earth.
The whole "souls going up to heaven" thing is a popular misconception that the Bible doesn't support at all.
Exactly. I cited every verse that mentions soul in the above post, and none of them have anything to do with heaven.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: February 25, 2016, 06:10:51 pm »

sin was a concept that people came up with from back when dualism was still the generally accepted explanation for consciousness and you know it buddy, can't really theologically say that it's a flaw of this mortal flesh when souls are supposed to exist
Regarding sin, what exactly is supposed to constitute as a sin and why? Is it just anything that is wrong? I know of course there's the Ten Commandments, but those were written for a very different time and you must read between the lines to find things applicable to modern life in some cases. Ex. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's* wife". Interpreted literally, I, as a male, could covet the wife of a man who is not my neighbor. A woman can covet any man she wants, but she cannot covet another man's wife... Doesn't make much sense. One of the reasons I hate when people try to treat the Bible as the one infallible truth(word for word), especially when reading a translation of it. *Neighbor likely = your fellow person, but it's not written as such.

Going off of the spirit of the word, I would read more as "Do not desire the spouse of any other person." As this applies universally, or at least over a much broader scope, instead of to a select situation.

You're confusing two commandments - "Thou shalt not commit adultary" and "Thou shalt not covet", neither of which specifies a gender.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: February 25, 2016, 06:29:46 pm »

Those are easy commandments to confuse. "Coveting thy neighbor's wife" sounds a lot like adultery. Also that part does specify gender.

Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (NIV)
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (KJV)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:34:13 pm by penguinofhonor »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: February 25, 2016, 06:33:16 pm »

Those are easy commandments to confuse. "Coveting thy neighbor's wife" sounds a lot like adultery. Also that part does specify gender.

Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (NIV)
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
Quote from: Exodus 20:17 (KJV)
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
What if you covet thy neighbour's husband? Or the neighbour himself/herself?

Since I shitposted in the past, I would like to point out this is an honest question. (though perhaps I should note that it is my religious duty to occasionally shitpost)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 06:40:41 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: February 25, 2016, 07:01:37 pm »

I would like to apologize. I think my Catholic educators gave me a modified/trimmed version of the Commandments that I was remembering. I should have double checked the original wording, and that is my fault. Still, my point about the Commandments does stand. In that day, I think the literal words corresponded closely enough to everyday life that you get the general idea, but today they are woefully outdated and you need to read between the lines to get more use out of them.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: February 25, 2016, 07:04:25 pm »

No need to apologize. Nobody here actually knows everything, so misunderstandings are nothing to worry about.  :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: February 25, 2016, 07:29:36 pm »

I don't know why you're apologizing. Your point wasn't about which commandment it was, you were talking about the wording. And what you quoted is actually part of the commandments, pulled almost letter for letter from the KJV. I'd say your whole point still stands.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 25, 2016, 08:04:30 pm »

Hmm. So if your body is destroyed on earth, and then god remakes it in heaven as it was, isn't that the good old Star Trek teleporter thing?
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 521