I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 570767 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Everyone's a Coptic in Their Own Way
« Reply #5295 on: February 29, 2016, 01:23:25 pm »

I guess. On the other hand that would basically mean he's satisfied with the world where you can die before you're even born and thus be damned forever because you can't exactly be baptised then. What a dick.

So you're admitting you don't actually have any kind of a legitimate argument. Okay.
Dunno, do you?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: February 29, 2016, 01:24:17 pm »

Given this I feel comfortable saying "It is good" doesn't seem to connote perfection, merely satisfaction.

In other words, God pretty much went 'This is good enough' and called it a day? Because that would certainly explain a lot...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5297 on: February 29, 2016, 01:31:13 pm »

So you're admitting you don't actually have any kind of a legitimate argument. Okay.
Dunno, do you?

Yes. It goes like this:
Have you considered that there are a hell of a lot of problems that can't be solved by nuking them?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5298 on: February 29, 2016, 02:01:05 pm »

Dunno, do you?

Yes. It goes like this:
Have you considered that there are a hell of a lot of problems that can't be solved by nuking them?
Eh, this isin't really an argument, since while nukes are cool and whatnot, actually nuking God would be kinda tricky and it was more of a joke anyway, though I do see a lot of truth in Imperial doctrine of "there is nothing that you can't solve with enough artillery".
In theory, if he's an amazingly advanced alien (or maybe an actually finite "celestial" being, but then we would have to come up with a way to transfer nukes into other planes of existence), nuking his face would possibly be our only option besides surrendering to space Kim Jong Un. You wouldn't want to surrender to space Kim Jong Un.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5299 on: February 29, 2016, 02:08:41 pm »

Dunno, do you?

Yes. It goes like this:
Eh, this isin't really an argument, since while nukes are cool and whatnot, actually nuking God would be kinda tricky and it was more of a joke anyway

Aah, K. I tend to miss those, sorry, in part because I feel like most of the time people are being serious about things like that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: February 29, 2016, 03:21:56 pm »

Nukes are a pretty useless solution against anything sufficiently advanced, because they would presumably be able to protect against them (eg. God makes a plane of existence where fusion doesn't work).
Honestly surrender against a being that powerful (without technology thousands of times more advanced), surrender is the only viable option. Hell, it might be the only option at all given that it could forceably change everyone's minds to make them surrender.

Okay, I'd like to present you with a challenge. Think about what being God is like. Imagine that there is nothing except you and infinite power. Now, create something perfect. Do you think that's possible? Have you done better? I'm not claiming that God is perfect, far from it. I simply think we are in no position to judge a divine being with infinitely more knowledge and experience than each of us, and if he has made mistakes, then quite honestly, why can't we forgive Him?
Its easy, I would use my omniscience to know exactly what to create, and my omnipotence to create it. Now, its clearly very different if he lacks omniscience. But he doesn't, thus the quandary.

I personally find the argument that "we live in the best of all possible worlds" (to quote the  old philosophical argument about the goodness of god) to be a bit ridiculous, but its not really possible to disprove.
After all it is correct that any bad things could theoretically be necessary for better things later on or that happened in the past.

I don't like it because it doesn't line up what humanity has perceived of reality at all (eg. randomness and the viciousness of the universe and evolution), but it is philosophically consistent.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: February 29, 2016, 04:06:44 pm »

-snip-
I never claimed that God was omnipresent or omniscient, only that he ultimately held, in all practical regards, all power. He certainly would know everything that we have discovered, because he made it. And there's no way of knowing how many mortals he has outlived, thus, his knowledge and experience far outweigh our own. I'm also not claiming that God is infallible. I'm stating that perfection* itself may be impossible. I'd like to define this to be clear. *Perfect (adj.)- excellent or complete beyond all practical or theoretical improvement. OK, well how can you declare that anything fits that criteria? When does God say, okay "I added enough it's done." Or "I've fixed every issue. Done."?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5302 on: February 29, 2016, 04:08:28 pm »

Nukes are a pretty useless solution against anything sufficiently advanced, because they would presumably be able to protect against them (eg. God makes a plane of existence where fusion doesn't work).
Honestly surrender against a being that powerful (without technology thousands of times more advanced), surrender is the only viable option. Hell, it might be the only option at all given that it could forceably change everyone's minds to make them surrender.
Nay. I'd go against that powerful being with a bloody stick. And if he'd forcefully change my mind... wouldn't that go against all that "free will" thing? Though, are we now talking about being that is God (implying there is one) or maybe just any random being posing as one or whatever?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: February 29, 2016, 04:24:26 pm »

I guess. On the other hand that would basically mean he's satisfied with the world where you can die before you're even born and thus be damned forever because you can't exactly be baptised then. What a dick.
How did you get to the conclusion that baptism staves of damnation?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5304 on: February 29, 2016, 04:55:24 pm »

I trimmed a derail and sent a warning.  Continue on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: February 29, 2016, 04:56:07 pm »

Thankye.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5306 on: February 29, 2016, 04:57:11 pm »

Thanks.

Anyway, let's drop the nuking God thing because apparently it causes arguments.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: February 29, 2016, 04:58:21 pm »

Glad I caught the post pre-edit. That was an...entertaining read.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

If I recall my theology right, baptism washes off the stains of original sin.
Love, scriver~

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: February 29, 2016, 05:33:39 pm »

If I recall my theology right, baptism washes off the stains of original sin.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes.
I don't know the theology about when you're afflicted with original sin, though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 521