I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 571989 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #600 on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:55 pm »

Are we lumping in Mormonism with Christianity? man I love it when that happens.
If you define "Christianity" as "Believing in the existence of Jesus Christ" then technically that's accurate.

Technically Christianity is believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ. Which the Mormons also do.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 05, 2015, 10:16:45 pm »

If you define "Christianity" as "Believing in the existence of Jesus Christ" then technically that's accurate.
Technically Christianity is believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ
Mormonism still technically falls into that.
Oh, you edited that in.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 05, 2015, 10:16:58 pm »

Technically Christianity is believing in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

And if you suggest otherwise you will get bitch slapped by Santa himself.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 05, 2015, 10:18:00 pm »

And if you suggest otherwise you will get bitch slapped by Santa himself.

The very Chris Kringle himself.

*Nods*
The Derail Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 05, 2015, 10:18:15 pm »

by Santa himself.

Best typo ever.

Edit: Ninja'd.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:58 pm »

Have you actually read the Book of Mormon? Even minor parts of it?
I went to a Mormon baptism, once. It was a lot like the scene in the third Indiana Jones movie where Indy finds the death cult that sacrifices people in lava and shit, except my idiot friend was getting baptized there (she had pretty much been lied to by the mormon missionaries at her school, but even so she had no intention of joining the church. Yet she got baptized. T_T)

It was definitely interesting, in a morbid kind of way. Reminds me a lot of the prosperity gospel, except someone got sick of trying to shoe-horn it into christianity and just out and made a whole new religion for it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:25 pm »

Have you actually read the Book of Mormon? Even minor parts of it?
I went to a Mormon baptism, once. It was a lot like the scene in the third Indiana Jones movie where Indy finds the death cult that sacrifices people in lava and shit

So is any denomination that makes a big deal about the eucharist. Also that was the second Indiana Jones movie, not the third.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 05, 2015, 10:28:35 pm »

I'll grant that the baptisms are pretty unsettling (and I can say from personal experience that being the one that's baptized is no less unsettling) but that doesn't make them any less of a Christian group.

Hell, half the reason I left their church was how ritualistic (and artificial, by extension) a lot of it was, despite them claiming to not be ritualistic. So I do get where you're coming from on that aspect.

Have you seen the ordination of a priest, out of curiosity?
The Derail Thread

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 05, 2015, 10:35:54 pm »

I'll grant that the baptisms are pretty unsettling (and I can say from personal experience that being the one that's baptized is no less unsettling) but that doesn't make them any less of a Christian group.

Perhaps. But I'm pretty damn certain treating the Book of Mormon as de-facto scripture is right out.

Have you seen the ordination of a priest, out of curiosity?

No, but i'm not so stupid as to be ignorant of what goes on. I know Catholic/Methodist baptisms are super creepy and cultish. IIRC in my church (and by extension most SBC churches), the Pastors are decided on by the Deacons, who take him through a (still a bit cultish) ceremony and ordain him.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 05, 2015, 10:43:54 pm »

Perhaps. But I'm pretty damn certain treating the Book of Mormon as de-facto scripture is right out.
I won't argue that.

No, but i'm not so stupid as to be ignorant of what goes on. I know Catholic/Methodist baptisms are super creepy and cultish. IIRC in my church (and by extension most SBC churches), the Pastors are decided on by the Deacons, who take him through a (still a bit cultish) ceremony and ordain him.
The ceremony is very cultish, if it's anything like what it was like for my ordination.

Basically, after they decide that you qualify to be a priest (Which, for Mormons, is basically any male of an appropriate age. Every guy is a priest in LDS churches, pretty much.) they find 3 or 4 priests to all lay their hands on your head (while you're seated in a chair) and to say a very specific scripture from the Book of Mormon. Followed by the main guy saying a few prayers that aren't scripted so as to feel less robotic.
Then they give you a certificate of ordination, after they get that made, and that's pretty much it.

And all of this is cataloged in their vast databanks of information. So the exact person who ordained my priesthood is on their files, and the guy who ordained him is on file, and the guy who ordained him, and so on and so forth, supposedly all the way back to Joseph Smith, who was supposedly ordained by Jesus himself, or at least his hologram. (You have to look up the story of Joseph Smith for that little tidbit.)
The Derail Thread

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 05, 2015, 10:50:17 pm »

who was supposedly ordained by Jesus himself, or at least his hologram. (You have to look up the story of Joseph Smith for that little tidbit.)

omg when they got to that part in the little movie they showed us at that baptism I really couldn't decide whether to punch someone or burst out laughing because the situation came so far out of left field.

Highlight had to be when Jojo was walking out of all the churches, with the narrator saying something along the lines of "and Joseph could not find himself satisfied by what the churches were preaching" and then right before he closes the door the pastor says "You absolutely have to look in the bible for these religious answers" and jojo just closes the door like "fuck it i'll just make up my own answers."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #612 on: February 05, 2015, 10:53:33 pm »

I can move Mormonism below the "other Christian sect" option if people are getting antsy about it, but then I'd need to reset the votes again.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 05, 2015, 10:54:06 pm »

I can move Mormonism below the "other Christian sect" option if people are getting antsy about it, but then I'd need to reset the votes again.
I don't think you need to go that far.
The Derail Thread

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 05, 2015, 10:55:24 pm »

who was supposedly ordained by Jesus himself, or at least his hologram. (You have to look up the story of Joseph Smith for that little tidbit.)

omg when they got to that part in the little movie they showed us at that baptism I really couldn't decide whether to punch someone or burst out laughing because the situation came so far out of left field.

Highlight had to be when Jojo was walking out of all the churches, with the narrator saying something along the lines of "and Joseph could not find himself satisfied by what the churches were preaching" and then right before he closes the door the pastor says "You absolutely have to look in the bible for these religious answers" and jojo just closes the door like "fuck it i'll just make up my own answers."
Well at least the priest wasn't feeding him bullcrap to bend him towards his political biases.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 521