I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 571612 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6720 on: April 17, 2020, 11:58:18 am »

Better question: If you could have a starship, without significant personal downsides, why not have a starship? Most people that have sailing boats or other sorts of water based small craft need them for precisely sod all.

It's one of the more disappointing things with reality and most of human religions' boring ass creator deities, really. There's plenty of neat shit in the world but if I were a creator deity I'd be putting some priority on having cats vomit rainbows instead of hairballs, y'know? Stuff could be a lot more interesting with little to no increase in danger, but for whatever reason most believers seem pretty comfortable with their gods having seriously dropped the ball on that front.
Have you seen a platypus?  Slime molds?  Black holes?  Quantum mechanics? The universe is full of pretty amazing, weird stuff.

On the third day, god was microdosing.

Edit: Crap, I started a new page with that?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 12:02:27 pm by Iduno »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: April 17, 2020, 12:49:36 pm »

Yep, also I wonder if other animals got hallucinations with LSD before humans existed, or was it not produced in a part of a plant that they could reach?

You were implying God took LSD, right?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: April 17, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »

The argument that "faith" is a hoop to jump through is a specious one.
Why?
Because it is essentially arguing that faith is works; it's re-defining words to be argumentative.  "Belief" is not a "work."
And belief that has no meaningful impact on your behavior is at best piss weak to the point it barely exists, if at all. If your faith is so empty it has no outwardly observable effect on you, there's essentially no difference in you having it and not. You could say that God would know the difference, but there's something of a paucity of gods in religious works that give any indication of giving a damn about that much of a "difference".

Faith isn't a hoop you jump through, but if your faith doesn't make you start jumping hoops whatever it is you got ain't faith. Ain't no religious figure in existence known for doing nothing but sitting on their ass, yo'. Even Buddha stepped out from under the bodhi tree. You can't separate faith from works any more than you can separate it from belief.

Yep, also I wonder if other animals got hallucinations with LSD before humans existed, or was it not produced in a part of a plant that they could reach?
Other animals got jumped up on stuff prior to humans being around, sure, if not necessarily LSD. Shrooms and booze been around roughly as long as there's been plant matter to ferment and fungi to grow, maybe longer, and we know for a fact some species'll get inebriated on something or another even without human intervention. Sometimes intentionally, sometimes not.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:31 pm »

Have you seen a platypus or a tardigrade?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: April 17, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »

Have you seen a platypus or a tardigrade?
yes and yes

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: April 30, 2020, 11:06:24 pm »

I was tempted to end with a repost of Dirk's AI Hal begging not to die, but eh.  Would confuse the message (they have a weird mirror-clone thing going on), and not even lighten the mood.  The jist is that Dirk is surprised that the AI is afraid to die "not exist", and the AI replies "Aren't you?"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:09:25 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: May 01, 2020, 02:29:15 am »

Dying eventually is far preferable to the alternative.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: May 01, 2020, 06:14:26 am »

To some alternatives, anyway. It's pretty trivial to imagine immortality setups that aren't particularly onerous. Reincarnation schemes in general probably fit, if there's no way off the cycle. So would a psychology or whathaveyou that just doesn't get bored or troubled by the passing of less long-lived companions. There's plenty of constructions that are indeed worse than most formulations of death, but it's not a necessary thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: May 01, 2020, 07:44:02 am »

Personally? Immortality does not seem onerous. At all. Assuming that degradation of the body doesn't occur, because that would be nightmarish.

People dying? Any long-lived life is going to be littered with friends dying anyway. You make new friends throughout normal life (one school to the next, work, what have you) so it's absurd to think you couldn't form new connections as time passed.

I have a ridiculous number of hobbies and interests. I exercise. I doubt I would get bored, but not having a sufficiently long yardstick I can't say for certain.

Whether to add invulnerability to the equation is the real sticky question.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: May 01, 2020, 07:57:26 am »

((Noticed they title change, interesting))

Imagine the long term experiments you could do if you were immortal. I’m curious how parasitism evolves, being immortal would allow me to perform million year long experiments to learn how it evolved. Parasitism evolves independently numerous times. To me it would be interesting to see how life evolves over the millennia. Being immortal would allow me to learn this, as well as live through various points in history. To me it will be interesting

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: May 01, 2020, 09:32:38 am »

These discussions rarely consider the possibility that perception of time may be different in any "afterlife" context.  Any "fears" of immortality are based on our current experiences of the passage of time.  If time is no longer a "scarce" resource, why would "immortality" be concerning?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: May 01, 2020, 05:27:31 pm »

I imagine many religions with afterlives believe you become more "perfect" and don't experience negative feelings like boredom.

Anyway, I think I could probably keep myself entertained for hundreds of years, and maybe thousands.  Several times I've given up projects because they'd take 5-10 years to complete, but that doesn't mean anything if you're immortal.  I'd also love to know what it's like to live so long.  How skilled and knowledgeable can someone get?  Will you eventually lose even strong memories of the distant past?  So many questions.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: May 02, 2020, 05:03:55 am »

That's also assuming a psuedo-physical existance or at least some creative power. I'd love to build and grow a forest, but that assumes a lot, including other lives. Most religions have a more defined, preset afterlife.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: May 02, 2020, 05:08:35 am »

Sure, god's all powerful, but does he have lips? Woah...
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: May 02, 2020, 09:39:26 am »

Sure, god's all powerful, but does he have lips? Woah...

"And God said, let there be light..."

Well, Judaism's deity, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 521