I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 571253 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #6735 on: May 02, 2020, 09:44:18 am »

Judaism's God appeared as various things Zeus-like. The Burning Bush, for instance, definitely spoke - but had no lips. Plenty of tongues, however (XD).
Christianity's God, on the other hand, was a physical man. He had lips.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: May 04, 2020, 01:56:59 am »

Sure, god's all powerful, but does he have lips? Woah...

"And God said, let there be light..."

Well, Judaism's deity, at least.
There's also the whole "created humankind in his own image" thing.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: May 04, 2020, 05:44:11 am »

Can God make lips so big that not even he could kiss them?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: September 05, 2020, 12:52:43 am »

I have been thinking of late, and it is indeed late.

Do the various churches around the world reinforce abusive relationships? I’m only familiar with Christianity, specifically Catholicism, but if someone gets divorced they’re unable to partake in Communion if they enter into another relationship, ‘cause SIN.

So this presents the crux of my issue: if someone wants a divorce because their partner is abusive, but faces some form of shunning within their religious community as a result - particularly if the abused and the victim are in the same religious community - it presents the victim of the abuse with a significant reason not to get the divorce because they risk losing what could be a significant part of their life.

Or something like that, I’m tired and biased, but also curious.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: September 05, 2020, 01:22:24 am »

You act like religion is not a tool of the state to control the masses, and to reinforce a set of societal norms, despite the deleterious effects.

Have you been living under a rock?

Only a handful of religions are purely spiritual/detached philosophical in nature; Nearly all of them are really early forms of "Do as I say, or the (divine actor) will punish you!" in nature.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: September 05, 2020, 05:23:07 am »

That's one way to look at it.

The other is that religions' main beneficial function to the society - that of preserving knowledge and stabilizing cultural norms throughout war, famine, coups d'etat, and other calamities - has the unfortunate side effect of making them defend a set of values that had been cutting-edge for a slave-owning society... even when that religion's host country has already evolved through medieval, mercantilist, and industrial ways of life.

So there is nothing surprising that religions are slow on the uptake, especially when new cultural norms clash with the ones they're supposed to preserve.

And more to the point: yeah, religions tend to reinforce abusive relationships.

If you look at it from the perspective I outlined above, the reason for this is that they're still carrying values from a time where an abusive relationship was, from the tribe/commune's perspective, a lesser evil compared to no relationship at all.
From the tribe's perspective, having a wife-beater amongst your numbers might be morally distasteful - but giving women the freedom to bear no children would be deadly to the whole tribe. If you don't outbreed competing tribes, they will eventually crush you.

The world two thousand years ago was brutal as fuck. The values of its societies reflect that.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 05:45:08 am by HmH »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6741 on: September 05, 2020, 09:29:05 am »

And more to the point: yeah, religions tend to reinforce abusive relationships.
Ah, yes, the flagellant's creed. Whip me harder God daddy

The world two thousand years ago was brutal as fuck. The values of its societies reflect that.
Depends where you lived 2,000 years ago. Polynesians were having a blast sailing the ocean and looking at stars

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: September 05, 2020, 11:16:18 am »

Depends where you lived 2,000 years ago. Polynesians were having a blast sailing the ocean and looking at stars
And getting eaten by wildlife, and dying of common-cold-turned-pneumonia, and getting raided by their similarly seafaring-stargazing neighbors...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:18:05 am by HmH »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: September 05, 2020, 11:37:58 am »

And getting eaten [...] by their similarly seafaring-stargazing neighbors...
ftfy

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: September 05, 2020, 11:41:28 am »

I have been thinking of late, and it is indeed late.

Do the various churches around the world reinforce abusive relationships? I’m only familiar with Christianity, specifically Catholicism...

It's the same for fundamentalist Christians of other denominations, at least in the southeastern US, and is one big issue I take with them.  They generally are very inflexible and literal in their reading of the Bible.  If Jesus says that God joined two people together and no man may undo that, then that's just the way it is.  Sorry, you should have been clairvoyant and known it was either not going to work out or turn out abusive.

Then again, these denominations generally believe you can be forgiven of anything aside from blasphemy, so by the RAW of the Bible, you can divorce, remarry, ask forgiveness and everything's cool.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: September 05, 2020, 11:51:29 am »

aside from blasphemy
Man, I'm so irredeemable.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: September 05, 2020, 01:21:39 pm »

Interestingly, on that note, this is something I haven't really seen a consistent definition of.  Even the most fundamentalist groups around here will believe you can always be forgiven and come back to god, so I'm not sure how they reconcile it with that passage from the Bible.  I'm guessing they massage the writing to mean that blasphemy is just dying without being a Christian or something else similarly meaningless while you're alive.

Otherwise, by a strict interpretation, anyone who has ever said that god didn't exist or had no power would be permanently screwed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: September 05, 2020, 01:40:52 pm »

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, specifically. Nobody's quite sure what that refers to.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: September 05, 2020, 02:02:19 pm »

If the holy spirit represents the thing which gives you sympathy for fellow humans, than blasphemy against it would be psychopathy, I guess?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6749 on: September 05, 2020, 03:44:05 pm »

And getting eaten by wildlife, and dying of common-cold-turned-pneumonia, and getting raided by their similarly seafaring-stargazing neighbors...
All of that still happens today, but they didn't have to worry about deadlines on top
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 521