I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 570974 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion
« Reply #7095 on: March 23, 2023, 01:58:42 pm »

Aw, we missed the Spring Equinox in this thread!  It was three days ago, March 20.

This is a time of cyclic balance and rebirth.  Of trees reawakening and seeds sprouting out of the soil.  It's no wonder it's the time I chose, a bit less than a year ago, to finally rebuild myself.  Fortuitously that time is very close to my birthday next month~

Equinoxen might be more universal than solstices.  The seasonal effects are still different across the globe, even near the equator, but the lengths of day and night are momentarily equal for everyone everywhere.  That's kinda cool.

Here's hoping for a good year!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7096 on: March 24, 2023, 06:48:14 am »

'Equinoxen' is much more fun than 'Equinoxes,' but be careful not to add an e after the n. Very confusing.

I hope it's a good year, too, and for you in particular!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7097 on: March 25, 2023, 06:11:53 am »

Did any of you guys catch the sight of Venus besides the Crescent Moon? Good omen if I've ever seen one :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7098 on: March 25, 2023, 11:33:18 pm »

Did any of you guys catch the sight of Venus besides the Crescent Moon? Good omen if I've ever seen one :P

Was she nekkid?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7099 on: March 26, 2023, 09:34:31 am »

Was she nekkid?
Planet earth got mooned

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7100 on: March 26, 2023, 10:26:21 am »

Was she nekkid?

ye
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7101 on: March 26, 2023, 10:37:41 pm »

Icaromenipples
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7102 on: March 27, 2023, 08:21:39 am »

Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale her infinite nekkidness
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7103 on: April 08, 2023, 03:22:07 am »

"Gods below": I am upset, and I invoking- wait no, I'm not mad.  I'm just frustrated, look, things have gone a certain way- for the umpteenth time.  I'm merely invoking the idea of.... a low die roll.

"Gods above": Truly, something nice has happened.  And for some reason it's appropriate for me to mention my spirituality, instead of just going along with everyone else.  this is rare

"Gods below": fuck. Fuck shitd godwdfsm HHHHH We can do this.  We can DO THIS.  It's not over until we're out of blood.  GET UP, YOU!  Over there- there, yes!  YOU!  Over here!

"Gods": Stars above, that's a grand statement you just made.  And I want to add emphasis to my response without mentioning stars so soon. Gods, you're cool.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 03:24:12 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #7104 on: April 08, 2023, 07:02:32 am »

... y'know, it's a small thing, but when I use gods as an invocation, it's shorthand for "nonexistent gods". It's a small measure of probably unappreciated respect to all those religious folks that say not to use god's name in vain, or holds there's a certain number or sort of divinity. Can't be tripping over something like that if you're talkin' 'bout the ones (which ones? Whichever ain't!) that ain't there!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:07:46 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7105 on: April 08, 2023, 08:28:28 am »

Taking god's name in vain is an interesting guideline.  I think it mostly refers to the act of asserting holiness / virtue to one's own actions, rather than just saying 'goddammit' etc. as is the popular interpretation.  When people claim to be doing righteous / virtuous work, while working in their own interests; it is then that massive atrocities are generally committed.  The words people use don't bother me so much as genocide and the like do.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7106 on: April 08, 2023, 08:34:27 am »

It could also be a legal definition, as many things were in the torah/old testament. I think the interpretation is "using god's name for oaths you don't intend to keep" and knowing the brutality of the text, maybe even "fail to keep."

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7107 on: April 08, 2023, 09:37:07 am »

I think originally it was is a monopoly thing. Priesthood didn't want others to manipulate gullible ones by invoking "It is the will of God!"
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7108 on: April 08, 2023, 01:13:31 pm »

I think it refers to oaths and curses. A lot of older curse words involved invoking god in some manner, and it's not exactly pious to cry out to god because you stepped in dog shit or to break an oath sworn over a bible.

So Goddamnit would be 'taking the lord's name in vain' as it was interpreted for a long while. Best thing to check would be what ancient clergy thought on the subject. If a priest in the 300s was saying how to interpret it, they would probably be the closest to the original intent we're likely to get.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7109 on: April 08, 2023, 02:04:15 pm »

I think it refers to oaths and curses. A lot of older curse words involved invoking god in some manner, and it's not exactly pious to cry out to god because you stepped in dog shit or to break an oath sworn over a bible.

So Goddamnit would be 'taking the lord's name in vain' as it was interpreted for a long while. Best thing to check would be what ancient clergy thought on the subject. If a priest in the 300s was saying how to interpret it, they would probably be the closest to the original intent we're likely to get.

It is way too recent. Taking the Lord's name in vain comes from Judaism (and it is stricter there.)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 472 473 [474] 475 476 ... 521