I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 571961 times)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #720 on: February 07, 2015, 02:06:20 am »

Going back to the 'God is Perfect and Never Wrong No Matter What' argument. Bleehhh. (Not you, Peradon, just the bible in general.)
No, its Ok, I understand where your coming from. The thing is, I didnt become a Christian because of arguments like these. I became a Christian because I experianced His peace.

I was trying to figure out all this Christian stuff, when all of the sudden, out of the blue, a sudden calmness came on me. Kind of like if you couldnt think of anything except God and his Glory. Its really hard to explain, but it did actually happen.

So when I make arguments like that, I'm coming from an already proven perspective. In my mind, there is nothing questionable about the Bible. It is the Truth. In the end, no one can become a Christian without the Holy Spirit calling him, so I really cant blame you for not understanding, I can only hope you will understand someday.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 07, 2015, 02:08:34 am »

Eh, maybe, but that 'someday' will likely only be after I die and really get to see (or not see, if death is simply eternal oblivions) the truth. Hell, that's the reason I'm stoked to die.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 07, 2015, 02:10:33 am »

Eh, maybe, but that 'someday' will likely only be after I die and really get to see (or not see, if death is simply eternal oblivions) the truth. Hell, that's the reason I'm stoked to die.
Unfortunately, if you die without knowing Him, you may not be as stoked as you are now.....

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #723 on: February 07, 2015, 02:11:36 am »

you cant just separate Judaism from Christianity like that.
No, Arx is correct here. The God is the same, just different requirements from his followers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:14:57 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 07, 2015, 02:13:21 am »

Unfortunately, if you die without knowing Him, you may not be as stoked as you are now.....

If God condemns me based on that (something that I have absolutely no control over. I can't just choose to 'know' It. That would be hollow, and It would see through the fake belief regardless) then It isn't Perfect, simply enough. My options in that regard are either fake belief or staying true to myself, and I'm sure It would know that (if it really, somehow actually was perfect.)
The circle is complete.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 07, 2015, 02:17:58 am »

And the general Christian viewpoint on sin is that it has to be: A: Made with full knowledge of the consequences and B: Made with full control of your faculties. Someone who kills someone while drunk is guilty of a lesser sin then one who performs the same act in cold blood.

Someone else suggested something similar, that Christianity takes intent into account while mortal courts don't.  Which seems completely backward to me:  Mortal courts totally take intent into account when sentencing, while Biblical laws are just "Anyone who does this is a sinner".  Intent doesn't matter at all.  Remorse might be necessary afterward, but technically all that matters is *knowing about Jesus*.  Not knowing the consequences of sin is no defense, it's the opposite - it practically guarantees punishment.

Additionally, blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is explicitly *unforgivable*, according to Jesus himself.  It's the *only* unforgivable sin mentioned.  And it's a thing which nonbelievers are most likely to do, due to their ignorance.

And I've never heard that Christians aren't as responsible for their sins while drunk (of their own volition).  That would be seriously unjust if true.  There's a difference between premeditated murder and manslaughter, but intoxicating oneself shouldn't be a defense...

Christianity's not actually all that disinclined towards killing, though it's long tried to spin the PR to say otherwise.

Judaism isn't that opposed to killing. From a Christian perspective, it's pretty close to unjustifiable.
Ignoring the obvious point that Christian nations have almost universally been violent...  Often against the Jews...  Jesus doesn't really try to stop people from killing.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

And Matthew 5:
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
He supports the violent prophecies and teachings of the Old Testament.

That's why I say Judaism isn't that opposed.

In Christianity, you would be one or more of: failing to turn the other cheek, failing to love your neighbour, or failing to love your enemy. All of which are instructions from Jesus, and fairly solidly unambiguous.
5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Is followed by
5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Clearly the section is a metaphor for empathy and compassion, not a literal guide to life.  Otherwise the early church would have died out in a generation or two *tops*.  Speaking of...  One of my favorite verses:
Quote from: Matthew again
16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 07, 2015, 02:19:09 am »

If God condemns me based on that (something that I have absolutely no control over. I can't just choose to 'know' It. That would be hollow, and It would see through the fake belief regardless) then It isn't Perfect, simply enough. My options in that regard are either fake belief or staying true to myself, and I'm sure It would know that (if it really, somehow actually was perfect.)
Really all you have to do is actually seriously seek God. He isnt someone to turn people knocking at His door down.

Just.... Dont dicredit Him when you dont get what your looking for right away... Sometimes it takes months or years. But it always happens, if you seek him sincerely!

Also, I was Ninjad, so I'll reply to Rolan's post in a minute...

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 07, 2015, 02:47:51 am »

Spoiler: Mega-Ultra big Post (click to show/hide)

Ok!
*Cracks Knuckles*

Someone else suggested something similar, that Christianity takes intent into account while mortal courts don't.  Which seems completely backward to me:  Mortal courts totally take intent into account when sentencing, while Biblical laws are just "Anyone who does this is a sinner".  Intent doesn't matter at all.  Remorse might be necessary afterward, but technically all that matters is *knowing about Jesus*.  Not knowing the consequences of sin is no defense, it's the opposite - it practically guarantees punishment.
Your absolutly right. The reason for the strict laws was because God was, literally, living among them in the tabernacle. He cant stand the sight of sin, so He set up strict laws.

Additionally, blaspheming against the Holy Spirit is explicitly *unforgivable*, according to Jesus himself.  It's the *only* unforgivable sin mentioned.  And it's a thing which nonbelievers are most likely to do, due to their ignorance.
There is debate over that passage. I'm pretty sure that what it is talking about, is the complete rejection of Jesus. So, yeah, only unbelievers commit this sin. Mainly because they are the only ones that reject Jesus........

And I've never heard that Christians aren't as responsible for their sins while drunk (of their own volition).  That would be seriously unjust if true.  There's a difference between premeditated murder and manslaughter, but intoxicating oneself shouldn't be a defense...
Yeah, I had never heard of that either. There is a passage that allows for people who have commited manslaughter to flee to certain cities of refuge, where they cant be condemned and can live out their lives.

Ignoring the obvious point that Christian nations have almost universally been violent...  Often against the Jews...
No defense here! There have been some pretty bad things done by people who claim Christianity in the past. But we cant judge a religion based on the mistakes that the people in it make, but based on what the Scriptures actually say.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34
Ahh! Now we are getting into escatology! What Jesus was talking about there, was that he would destroy his enemies. Which is still true, in the Last Day, He will rain death on all who dont know him. He is still a God of Justice.

He did not come to destroy the Law, but to fulfill it! Which means that the Law is no longer neccesary for salvation. The Law is still active, just not enforced very much now.

Clearly the section is a metaphor for empathy and compassion, not a literal guide to life.  Otherwise the early church would have died out in a generation or two *tops*
Yeah, He was getting a point across. But the love your neighbor was an explicit command, and it goes hand in hand with what he was saying about turning the other cheek.

16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
I do believe John was there. John wrote the book or Revelation, which describes a vision he had of the time when Jesus will come and set up his kingdom here on earth. So, he did see it before he died....

I hope that helped. I get the feeling my thoughts are all kinda muddled.....

EDIT due to typo's
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:51:41 am by Peradon »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 07, 2015, 02:52:44 am »

But its not just from reading any religious text that you can get this feeling from.
Or all the other religions wouldnt exsist.
'Gods grace'
Can be attained upon killing for the first time, from stress, harm. Many ways allow you to experience a powerful spiritual feeling. so its hard to believe that somebody says theyv now believe in god because of love as much as it to say you found god murdering.
I do believe youv found peace.
But when people say they have found it in so many different ways its hard to have faith in anything.
This is why I think many people are atheists.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:56:33 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 07, 2015, 02:59:25 am »

Yes, its true that people say they have found in many different places. But the thing is, only one can be right! Christianity doesnt allow for other religions to be correct at the same time. It just doesnt. So the real question is: Which one is the correct one?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 07, 2015, 03:14:58 am »

Yes, its true that people say they have found in many different places. But the thing is, only one can be right! Christianity doesnt allow for other religions to be correct at the same time. It just doesnt. So the real question is: Which one is the correct one?

All are
If their was a religion exactly the same as christianty (there are) and you follow it to the letter. The bible still says you go to hell.
If anything god could just see all religions are the same and only demolish the true 'sinners'

God made all the religions. How can they be wrong?

please dont think what I say makes me believe in a god
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 07, 2015, 03:29:15 am »

I mostly think that every action I take is made with God's explicit permission. :v
The circle is complete.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #732 on: February 07, 2015, 03:51:18 am »

All are
If their was a religion exactly the same as christianty (there are) and you follow it to the letter. The bible still says you go to hell.
I'll be honest, I can barely understand what you're talking about most of the time. There is no religion exactly the same as Christianity - heck, even Christianity is usually wildly different from Christianity.
The Bible says you go to Hell (and even that's debatable - "wrath of God" is fairly ambiguous) as punishment for breaking God's law, not following a religion that is the identical twin of Christianity.

God made all the religions. How can they be wrong?
Because God didn't make any religions? He pretty much said "hey, here's some laws you guys should follow, then we can be bros", while everyone who wasn't there at the time went off and started worshipping Mother Earth and other celestial bodies.
'Course, if you're looking at it from a secular viewpoint, people made everything up anyway, so the whole thing's irrelevant.

I mostly think that every action I take is made with God's explicit permission. :v
Assuming God has the capacity to stop you if he wishes? Yeah, seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:53:03 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #733 on: February 07, 2015, 04:04:02 am »

Judaism isn't that opposed to killing. From a Christian perspective, it's pretty close to unjustifiable.
Ignoring the obvious point that Christian nations have almost universally been violent...  Often against the Jews...  Jesus doesn't really try to stop people from killing.

And Matthew 5:
5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

"Christians have been violent, therefore Christianity condones violence."
Shall I propose the following, equally logical statement?
"Atheists have been serial killers, therefore atheism condones killing."

Neither makes any sense as an argument.

Matthew 10: The sword in this case does not seem to be the usual representation of killing, but rather of strife. I would just like to repeat that in that passage Jesus is quoting Malachai (IIRC) on Judgment Day.

Matthew 5: He doesn't, actually. "Let him who is without guilt cast the first stone." Jesus is the only person qualified to pass judgment. Additionally, from the same chapter (or the next. Either way, sermon on the mount) "You hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will be able to see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." and "Judge not, lest you be judged."

Jesus does not support enforcement of the Mosaic law.

That's why I say Judaism isn't that opposed.

In Christianity, you would be one or more of: failing to turn the other cheek, failing to love your neighbour, or failing to love your enemy. All of which are instructions from Jesus, and fairly solidly unambiguous.
5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Is followed by
5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.
5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Clearly the section is a metaphor for empathy and compassion, not a literal guide to life.  Otherwise the early church would have died out in a generation or two *tops*.

It could be, sure. It would still thoroughly bar killing. As a believer, it would be better for me to die than to kill a non-believer.

Speaking of...  One of my favorite verses:
Quote from: Matthew again

And within six days, they witnessed the transfiguration.

If it was exactly the same as Christianity, they wouldn't. All that is needed to gain entry to the Kingdom of Heaven is acknowledging that Jesus died for your sake.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 07, 2015, 04:22:11 am »

But its not just from reading any religious text that you can get this feeling from.
Or all the other religions wouldnt exsist.
 Many ways allow you to experience a powerful spiritual feeling.

Even self-proclaimed "inherently bogus" religions like SubGenius
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 521