I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 571452 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #855 on: February 17, 2015, 03:34:49 pm »

Ya it would be ok to take the car as long as you or I pay for any damage and clean up the mess.
Just stealing the car and keeping it isn't ok though.

Yeah, stealing it and keeping it makes it hard to justify the greater good. So, without even realising it, you accept a certain degree of moral relativism. Interesting.
This is a blank sig.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 17, 2015, 03:36:29 pm »

Well it's not theft (as far as I'm concerned) if your giving it back on the condition it was take especialy in a situation like that
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 17, 2015, 03:38:41 pm »

Well it's not theft (as far as I'm concerned) if your giving it back on the condition it was take especialy in a situation like that

The law would still consider it taking without consent, and I would still probably be arrested and tried - though I would consider it worth it, and who would possibly be conviceted in such an extreme scenario?. Again, with the "as far as I am concerned" - that is a relative morality argument, as is including the conditions of its return.
This is a blank sig.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #858 on: February 17, 2015, 03:39:31 pm »

IMO it's sometimes justified to do a BadTM thing if it will prevent a greater evil or achieve a greater good. Not to say it makes the bad thing OK - it's really just making the best of a bad situation.

On the car topic, I would say it's certainly justified. It's still stealing, though. That you did the bad thing for a good cause doesn't change the fact that it was a bad thing. 'Course, you'd want to return it afterwards, reimburse the owner for any damages, and plead guilty if he takes you to court.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:31 pm »

Hey, thank you for serving a year in jail to keep me from dieing.
I have nothing more to say about it

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 17, 2015, 03:42:00 pm »

Hey, thank you for serving a year in jail to keep me from dieing.
I have nothing more to say about it

No probs man! Thanks for helping me understand a little more about how those who hold absolute moral views think.

IMO it's sometimes justified to do a BadTM thing if it will prevent a greater evil or achieve a greater good. Not to say it makes the bad thing OK - it's really just making the best of a bad situation.

On the car topic, I would say it's certainly justified. It's still stealing, though. That you did the bad thing for a good cause doesn't change the fact that it was a bad thing. 'Course, you'd want to return it afterwards, reimburse the owner for any damages, and plead guilty if he takes you to court.

Oh, of course - it is a silly example, but one I like to use to show how equally silly a hard line "there is never an excuse to do bad things" position actually is.
This is a blank sig.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 17, 2015, 03:43:39 pm »

((Do note that I'm pretty unique when it comes to this kinda stuff, I'm not sure how many people think like I do))

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 17, 2015, 03:45:12 pm »

Yes, but contrary to Nietzsche's claim that religion is injurious to society, it can still be seen as doing good. Even if you only view it as a small nugget in an otherwise contemptible sea of hate and bigotry, it does some good.

It also does bad things, but so does every organisation. We have to take the good with the bad, and make sure the bad, repressive bits don't get out of control.

As for the validity of heaven and all that what not, and the concept of a monotheistic, Abrahamic God, I too agree it's exceedingly unlikely.

And if its not true then that by itself makes it a bad thing.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 17, 2015, 03:47:40 pm »

((Do note that I'm pretty unique when it comes to this kinda stuff, I'm not sure how many people think like I do))

Actually, you'd be surprised - it is very common amongst Catholics. I have discussed this with many, and a few even claimed they would refuse assistance in a stolen car. I wonder how many would actually do that if in that situation.

More worrying though is how many responded with claims that "yes, of course I would" when asked if they would kill me if god ordered it. The implications there are worrying.
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 17, 2015, 03:48:31 pm »

* Th4DwArfY1 turns into a gibbering mad man.

ANSWER MY QUESTION! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! !! ! !

:P

Yes, but contrary to Nietzsche's claim that religion is injurious to society, it can still be seen as doing good. Even if you only view it as a small nugget in an otherwise contemptible sea of hate and bigotry, it does some good.

It also does bad things, but so does every organisation. We have to take the good with the bad, and make sure the bad, repressive bits don't get out of control.

As for the validity of heaven and all that what not, and the concept of a monotheistic, Abrahamic God, I too agree it's exceedingly unlikely.

It doesn't make it inherently bad. It just makes those following it whilst knowing it's wrong intellectually dishonest, but still not bad themselves.

Being incorrect doesn't make a theory bad. Were gravity disproved, and that there's actually no gravitational force, you wouldn't say the "theory" of gravity is bad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:22 pm »

I'd be willing to ascribe that it's possible for someone to be taught the moral system of a religion without necessarily being forced to ascribe to all of it's tenets. Even if the way a religion believes things happen isn't necessarily true, they work great as moral system carriers, which allows for things that fall into the "good" moral category generally to be carried to more people.

Also what about the whole "lies to children" thing? Arguably, almost nothing that you've learned in science prior to the college level is actually "true", because they are all wrong things we say to allow you to get closer to the actual truth behind the way the natural world works. Does that make it "bad" for us to teach you these things?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 17, 2015, 03:51:17 pm »

I have one question for the 'if god commanded you would you kill me?', have you done anything to give reason or need for me to kill you?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:13 pm »

I have one question for the 'if god commanded you would you kill me?', have you done anything to give reason or need for me to kill you?

That depends on what you would judge as worthy of being killed. I know the point you are making - you don't want it to be a cold blooded murder, and instead want it to be a "justifiable" killing. If your god commanded it, is that not enough, or is it OK to argue the divine on this matter? I have a hard time thinking up anything that would justify such an act though. What would you consider justifies such an action? Again, the "needing justification" strays very close to a relativism rather than an absolutist view.
This is a blank sig.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 17, 2015, 03:55:45 pm »

Did Isaac do anything to give reason for Abraham to kill him, after God commanded it?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 17, 2015, 03:56:51 pm »

Did Isaac do anything to give reason for Abraham to kill him, after God commanded it?
Leading to my second question
If no justification is given will god stop me before I kill you?
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 521