I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 562518 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #750 on: February 07, 2015, 03:01:29 pm »

Yeah, there's a certain degree of biblical support for a fiery hell. There's also support for a number of other sorts, of course, but let it never be said that consistency was terribly important to the folks spread out over a generation or two that actually penned the bible.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 07, 2015, 03:06:12 pm »

Out of curiosity, how do people reconcile the huge variation within religion with the idea that only one path is right?

Beyond the "all paths lead to God" idea, which I personally don't find convincing (there are steps that lead to God. Different steps for different religions/denominations.)

Last I heard, at least as far back as the summer of 2010, it's not an idea that the majority of people that participate in cross religious talks don't quite take the idea of all paths lead to god idea seriously. At least that's what our professor told us in that Eastern Religions class said.

That being said, it's probably worthwhile to bring up the blind men and the elephant parable, where four or so blind men try and understand what an elephant is like through their sense of touch, and walk out disagreeing over whether it's thick and long, or broad, or flexible and thin.

I've also met a few people that believed that no god is as cruel as those their holy books described, and would believe that if there is a heaven, being a decent person would be all it takes for you to enter it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 07, 2015, 04:03:14 pm »

Yeah, there's a certain degree of biblical support for a fiery hell. There's also support for a number of other sorts, of course, but let it never be said that consistency was terribly important to the folks spread out over a generation or two that actually penned the bible.
All I can find about hell in the bible is that it is an unpleasant place where bad people go. Might be one of those things that got jumbled up during the many, many translation.

I guess I was wrong about Dante, although his work, despite seeming to be mostly political, does have a lot of influence.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 07, 2015, 04:50:04 pm »

All I can find about hell in the bible is that it is an unpleasant place where bad people go. Might be one of those things that got jumbled up during the many, many translation.

I guess I was wrong about Dante, although his work, despite seeming to be mostly political, does have a lot of influence.

There's numerous references in the gospel to the wicked being thrown into a fiery furnace.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 07, 2015, 06:17:01 pm »

Quote from: Revalations 21:8
But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."
Quote from: Matthew 13:50
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

There are quite a few more of those here by the way if you are interested.

I've always felt that those who said that hell wasn't a place of eternal (fiery) torment were simply saying "But god is nice, he wouldn't do something so mean as eternal fiery torment for everyone that doesn't do exactly what he wants them to do", and thus managed to interpret the bible as saying that hell as stated in the bible doesn't exist.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 07, 2015, 06:45:05 pm »

I think you mean Buhdism, but yeah, I get what your saying. But, no, it does not offer the key things, like, uhh God. Buhdism is the worship of yourself, trying to become nothing, in order to attain perfect transcendence. Makes no sense to me at all. Christianity is a servant's religion. You're not in it for yourself, but for God. Almost all other religions are self-centered, whereas Christianity is centered on God. How is this like Buhdism?
HAHA
Wow, this sounds more ignorant than me, buddhism isnt about worshiping yourself, but its nice you think its that way. Im sure you are a selfless servant of god, one who devotes all his time and money to god.
What you got confused with buddism is human nature, worshiping yourself, I bet you did it today, a coffee prehaps? A little instant gratification *wink *wink. A little look in the mirror to see how pretty/ugly you are, you probably saw that beautiful person and thought  :-X
You get the point.
You worship yourself
YOU worship YOURSELF

Classic religious I am better than you because I believe in X god, and ive got a vip pass because Y invited me
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #756 on: February 07, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »

Coffee != worshipping oneself. Concern about one's appearance != worshipping oneself.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 07, 2015, 06:56:39 pm »

Coffee != worshipping oneself. Concern about one's appearance != worshipping oneself.
I hope that isnt sarcasim
Sounds like a bloody kiwi thing to do  ;)
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

Buhdism is the worship of yourself

You're thinking of the prosperity gospel, which is a Christian credo.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »

There are quite a few more of those here by the way if you are interested.
There's a significantly more thorough list here. Fire is indeed common, but it's not alone -- you've also got darkness, separation, silence, and just plain destruction. Many of the references to fire (that aren't just repeating themselves or someone else, anyway) definitely imply that it's not the only punishment, actually, if the translation preserved the meaning adequately. And, as always, description beyond "fiery" is generally decidedly lacking...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 07, 2015, 11:49:50 pm »

Another hypothesis...

I practice magic arts and I can throw fire and seperate water into hydrogen and oxy creating a fire ball (whatever its magic)
but I can also heal wounds and disease.
I am a nice person so instead of killing the filthy american scum with my power I decide to heal all who ask for it, yes all and i am capible of healing many diseases including genetic and mental diseases (not spiritual) and people try to pay me but I say no (i rob banks with my fire)

I would still go to hell right?
Beacause im a magic arts practitioner.

mind you hell wouldnt be bad if I could control the fire

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 07, 2015, 11:54:44 pm »

It depends on the source of power.

Like, if you got it from demons and false gods, that's bad. But if you get from, say, a field of nonspiritual energy that pervades the galaxy that can be understood and tapped into, that should be fine.

Also find a way to use for FTL travel.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 07, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »

Another hypothesis...

I practice magic arts and I can throw fire and seperate water into hydrogen and oxy creating a fire ball (whatever its magic)
but I can also heal wounds and disease.
I am a nice person so instead of killing the filthy american scum with my power I decide to heal all who ask for it, yes all and i am capible of healing many diseases including genetic and mental diseases (not spiritual) and people try to pay me but I say no (i rob banks with my fire)

Ironically that sounds exactly like Jesus
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 08, 2015, 12:01:50 am »

Depends on what version you are looking at. IIRC the original word used in the "suffer not a witch to live" translates more specifically as "person who uses magic to do evil". It's just that King James was big on burning witches, so they translated it as "witch". Under the original version you wouldn't be doing anything bad at all, so you wouldn't suffer in any ways (except for the bank robbing that is).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 08, 2015, 01:59:25 am »

I knew it! Jesus was a bank robber. You cab see it in his eyes, the eyes of a man whos done things, things to get by. Its what you have to do to survive!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 521