I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 562566 times)

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #810 on: February 12, 2015, 04:05:21 pm »

Yes, 'controversial' is not what comes to mind when reading your posts. 'Euphoric' is closer.

Hiding behind high school mindsets and a meme that mocked a mentally ill child with a hat is extremely unbecoming.

And no, citation are not needed. Is perfectly acceptable to logically discuss the consequences of beliefs and ideas without an appeal to authority.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 04:07:23 pm by k33n »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 12, 2015, 04:11:38 pm »

Yes, 'controversial' is not what comes to mind when reading your posts. 'Euphoric' is closer.

Hiding behind high school mindsets and a meme that mocked a mentally ill child with a hat is extremely unbecoming.

And no, citation are not needed. Is perfectly acceptable to logically discuss the consequences of beliefs and ideas without an appeal to authority.
How can you expect people to accept your argument if you give it ZERO backing? You are basically saying: "this is how things are" without saying why. Maybe it may seem obvious to you, but it clearly isn't for pretty much everyone else.

Also, insulting people isn't the way to go if you actually want them to listen to you, rather than just spark the flames.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #812 on: February 12, 2015, 04:12:29 pm »

Probably best not to engage in an argument at this point.

k33n, if you're not going to play nice, I'm going to (temporarily) lock the thread.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

k33n

• Bay Watcher
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 12, 2015, 04:14:27 pm »

k33n, if you're not going to play nice, I'm going to (temporarily) lock the thread.

Can you tell me when I haven't played nice? Do you not understand where the 'euphoric' meme comes from? Or is your side of the debate excluded from these rules?

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 12, 2015, 04:16:06 pm »

Hiding behind high school mindsets and a meme that mocked a mentally ill child with a hat is extremely unbecoming. Dick move

And no, citation are not needed. Is perfectly acceptable to logically discuss the consequences of beliefs and ideas without an appeal to authority. The more backing you give something, the better
You base a religion on what it had led to in the pass. Considering a lot of these "bad" actions that were done were usually using religion as an excuse for other motives. Along with not necessarily everyone who would say they are a part of a certain religion interprets all of the religious texts and even common ideas of said religions the same. Religion isn't necessarily bad, it's the people that follow it.

Also, don't be so hostile
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:30 pm »

With respect to OW's ninja request about not arguing, I would ask that this post not be seen as a criticism or argument, but rather a legitimate attempt to understand k33n. My apologies if any of it seems confrontational.

It also does bad things, but so does every organisation. We have to take the good with the bad, and make sure the bad, repressive bits don't get out of control.
Dwarfy, have I been getting through to you? :P

And k33n, do notice the 'discussion' bit in the thread title. You can of course make a 'Rant-y religion bashing' thread, but I doubt it would stay civil for long...

Just because my points are controversial and I am ready to back them up does not mean that I am ranting or unwilling to discuss. My original point was that spirituality has been co opted by religion, and that spirituality is inherently good while religion is inherently bad.

Like I said earlier, the first two tenants that Arx has said are key to Christianity and are impossible to get anti-human ideas from:

#1 Whosoever believes in me shall not perish, but shall have eternal life.

and

#2 I tell you, the greatest commandment is this: love the Lord your God with all your heart. The second is like it: love your neighbour as you love yourself.

Have both been coherently used to justify horrible actions and restrictive anti-human worldviews.
In addition to Orange Wizard Ninja's citation request [more ninjas -- see below] What is your opinion on other beneficial things that justify "inhuman" action? Is patriotism bad? What about loyalty? And natural resources: are coal and oil inherently evil?
Apologies if this sounds like a straw man; I am just curious where you draw the line, and why.

Additionally, why do you believe spirituality to be inherently good? One could argue that many people use it as an excuse to waste their lives being "spiritual" (note: not saying everyone does, just some, just like very few religious people start wars or riots), rather than contributing to the good of the world, especially since it encompasses so many different things. No doubt someone has asked you this already, so I'll look through the thread and delete this question if I find it, but are you referring to any specific spirituality? If not, an explanation of how you define spirituality would be helpful.

In response to the ninja above,

I believe OW was asking for an example of a time when "love your neighbour" has been explicitly or implicitly used to justify inhuman actions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #816 on: February 12, 2015, 04:19:27 pm »

Can you tell me when I haven't played nice? Do you not understand where the 'euphoric' meme comes from? Or is your side of the debate excluded from these rules?
1. Every time we've asked for evidence and you've given us insults and hostility.
2. No, and I don't care.
3. My side is the rules.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #817 on: February 13, 2015, 04:07:10 pm »

Doubleposting to bump THE UNLOCKENING.

I think we're all happy to continue a discussion now.

I'll also be adding an addendum to the rules about citing sources.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: February 13, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »

Doubleposting to bump THE UNLOCKENING.

I think we're all happy to continue a discussion now.

I'll also be adding an addendum to the rules about citing sources.

As long as challenging the credibility, bias or reliability of sources is still OK, then as a rational sceptic I am all for sources being required to back up claims.
This is a blank sig.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #819 on: February 13, 2015, 04:15:33 pm »

Challenging the credibility of sources is fine. I can't imagine the mess we'd have otherwise.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: February 13, 2015, 05:32:02 pm »

It also does bad things, but so does every organisation. We have to take the good with the bad, and make sure the bad, repressive bits don't get out of control.
Dwarfy, have I been getting through to you? :P
Nope. I've always believed religion to only be as evil as the person wielding it. I don't mind others following it at all. The only place we differ in this regard is that I decided not to follow religion anymore, no matter the reason, as I personally don't buy into it. You, on the other hand.....:P

I did notice that Dwarfy and I were somehow on the same side of a point. It's disorienting.

W-w-w-what world is this? 0_o
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 13, 2015, 11:06:47 pm »

What denomination is that?

LDS.  Sorry, I should have said.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 13, 2015, 11:08:01 pm »

No problem, the question was already answered anyway.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:43 am »

Can you tell me when I haven't played nice? Do you not understand where the 'euphoric' meme comes from?

On January 4th, 2013, Redditor Aalewis submitted a post to the /r/atheism[1] subreddit, which included a quote about his personal experience of being an atheist:
“Just to be clear, I’m not a professional ‘quote maker’. I’m just an atheist teenager who greatly values his intelligence and scientific fact over any silly fiction book written 3,500 years ago. This being said, I am open to any and all criticism.
‘In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.’"

-KnowYourMeme.com http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/in-this-moment-i-am-euphoric
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 14, 2015, 12:59:46 am »

Huh. Didn't even know that meme was a thing. How odd.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 521