I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 562497 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #1035 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:49 pm »

"Bark, bark, that wolf, have you any flax?
Yes sir, yes sir, three pounds, relax!"
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: February 21, 2015, 02:45:14 am »

:)
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 21, 2015, 03:52:00 am »

Wolf speaks in parables. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 21, 2015, 04:03:31 am »

That's an interesting theory Vilanat, I'd be interested to know more if you see it again.  I wonder if it can be observed in those isolated human populations which haven't developed much...  Maybe that's even where the research came from?

So, i tried to find the exact book/paper/article but still no luck. i will keep searching for it though.

I did find several similar theories:
Basically, this theory speaks about the Inner voice that was perceived not as our own but as God's command.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Here's a summary and criticism of the theory
http://www.functionalneurology.com/materiale_cic/224_XXII_1/2108_the%20bicamiral/index.html

This theory suggests that before the times of the egyptians/abraham humans didn't "see" the rules behind objects or phenomenons and attributed personality to them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythopoeic_thought

Wolf speaks in parables. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Wolf's parables and posts are actually pretty straight forward to me, maybe because they are heavily based on "Agnostic" Eastern thinking.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:18:00 am by Vilanat »

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 21, 2015, 04:33:49 am »

Wolves dont bark, trees do

I was wondering if any one here thinks the Voynich manuscript has any religious or spiritual significance?
Or just the writings of an insane artist? Im sure many of you know about it but for who dont.
Its pretty interesting, currently untranslatable and filled with pictures of herbs most of which arent identified, astological  charts, drawings of naked people, zodiac depictions, many characters some only used a rare few times. Like I said interesting and could be one of the better hoaxes around..
Carbon dating says its 600-700 years old.
It looks like a book youd find in a wizard possesion.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:28:07 am by That Wolf »
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1040 on: February 21, 2015, 11:00:05 am »

What would we ask about?

You could ask us about our morality, about our philosophy, about what we think it means to be an atheist. You could ask us how important atheism is to our belief systems - is it a founding pillar o a minor detail? If all else fails, you could try and convert us, though that might get a bit heavy fr some peoples taste.

I don't ask people about atheism because I can just imagine myself as a non-Christian. There's no complicated holy text to fail to understand or anything. If atheists had to comply with The God Delusion or somesuch, there'd be a lot more questions.

I think atheism by its very definition isn't something that needs much questioning to understand.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:07 am »

I don't ask people about atheism because I can just imagine myself as a non-Christian. There's no complicated holy text to fail to understand or anything. If atheists had to comply with The God Delusion or somesuch, there'd be a lot more questions.
You'd be surprised how many people seem to believe that is in fact the case.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 21, 2015, 11:43:24 am »

That's an interesting theory Vilanat, I'd be interested to know more if you see it again.  I wonder if it can be observed in those isolated human populations which haven't developed much...  Maybe that's even where the research came from?

So, i tried to find the exact book/paper/article but still no luck. i will keep searching for it though.

I did find several similar theories:
Basically, this theory speaks about the Inner voice that was perceived not as our own but as God's command.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)

Bincameralism always struck me as unparsimonious.

EDIT:
It posits everyone being a heretofore unknown kind of crazy to explain phenomena that could be adequetely explained by a few people being well attested kinds of crazy
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:49:07 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 21, 2015, 12:06:48 pm »

I think atheism by its very definition isn't something that needs much questioning to understand.
I remember getting a question about that some time ago by a pretty christian guy once. He wanted to know what it was I personally believed would happen after I died. I guess more useful questions can be directed at people who identify as secular humanists, spirituals without gods, or Satanic Church Satanists (Not to be confused with Le-vayan[sp?] Church of Satan).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 21, 2015, 01:27:54 pm »

He wanted to know what it was I personally believed would happen after I died.
Personally IMO when you're dead that's it. No afterlife for me! :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 21, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

Where were you before you were born? Probably in the same state as when you die. Or, more to the point, lack of state.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 21, 2015, 06:18:30 pm »

Where were you before you were born? Probably in the same state as when you die. Or, more to the point, lack of state.
In a womb....
You mean before conception right?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 21, 2015, 06:35:52 pm »

I think it's fairly obvious what I meant.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 21, 2015, 07:11:50 pm »

What would we ask about?

You could ask us about our morality, about our philosophy, about what we think it means to be an atheist. You could ask us how important atheism is to our belief systems - is it a founding pillar o a minor detail? If all else fails, you could try and convert us, though that might get a bit heavy fr some peoples taste.

If atheism is defined simply as the lack of religious belief, you might as well be questioning a beardless woman about the beard she does not have: ("You seem to be completely beardless, madam; can you tell us a bit about your lovely beard?") The source of confusion is the fact that atheism is frequently presented, by proponents and opponents alike, as somehow comparable to a religion -- a distinct "belief system" with positive content. This would only make sense if scientific and common-sense beliefs were mutually exclusive with religious beliefs, and clearly, they are not.

Wolves dont bark, trees do

I was wondering if any one here thinks the Voynich manuscript has any religious or spiritual significance?
Or just the writings of an insane artist? Im sure many of you know about it but for who dont.
Its pretty interesting, currently untranslatable and filled with pictures of herbs most of which arent identified, astological  charts, drawings of naked people, zodiac depictions, many characters some only used a rare few times. Like I said interesting and could be one of the better hoaxes around..
Carbon dating says its 600-700 years old.
It looks like a book youd find in a wizard possesion.
The Voynich manuscript is the earliest pre-alpha version of Dwarf Fortress. The resemblance is uncanny.

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 521