I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 569602 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: God-Proof Chariots Edition
« Reply #3000 on: October 04, 2015, 08:52:39 pm »

Yeah but that was all metaphorical

That's a respectable answer, but I think a lot of people would disagree. There's a good bit of Christian astronomy based around trying to link various historical eclipses to the Crucifixion.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: October 04, 2015, 08:54:32 pm »

That's a respectable answer, but I think a lot of people would disagree. There's a good bit of Christian astronomy based around trying to link various historical eclipses to the Crucifixion.
Since Passover happens at a full moon, a solar eclipse cannot be the answer. I believe that it was a miracle that caused it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: October 04, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

Ninja'd by Origami.  But I still don't understand.  He did these miracles in front of people then, so why not now?
Basically, history is divided into chunks where different beings of God are interacting with Earth. In the OT, most interaction is with God the Father, with all the smiting and fire and pillars of salt. In the NT, we have Jesus (mostly) in charge, with literal tonnes of food, healing, wine, and dead figs. After the NT we have the Holy Spirit in charge, and he doesn't really do anything particularly flashy.
I sorta like this sort of thing.  It seems very Gnostic to me, though.  It recognizes that the Father and Son have very different natures.  Maybe... aren't even literally the same entity?
Perhaps the God of the old Testament is actually a baddie?

Really though, it's a big deal that Jesus is still alive, even though he's in Heaven now.  I'm still not sure why his campaign of providing mortals with evidence would end.

Well, the reason Jesus fed them all was not to show his power, but to keep them listening to him longer because they wouldn't have to dispece and find food fo themselves.

Matthew 14:15-16 As evening approached, the disciples came to him and said, “This is a remote place, and it’s already getting late. Send the crowds away, so they can go to the villages and buy themselves some food.”
Jesus replied, “They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat.”
That's a very valid interpretation of that event, good point.  But, he did perform many showy miracles in front of crowds.  He even complained that certain people remained unconvinced.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 04, 2015, 08:57:48 pm »

That's a very valid interpretation of that event, good point.  But, he did perform many showy miracles in front of crowds.  He even complained that certain people remained unconvinced.
Can you give references? Most of the miracles I remember, Jesus specifically asks people not to tell everyone about it.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 04, 2015, 09:04:32 pm »

Does Matthew 11:21 work?
Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.

Somewhat related, Mark 16.  Before ascending, he gives grants certain divine powers to all that believe, and then commands those present to prosyletize.
16:20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
Technically he's only empowering believers (implying the disciples, but technically all believers) with the ability to perform convincing miracles.  Then telling them to convince people.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3005 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:56 pm »

There are several parts of the Bible where the three persons of God interacted with each other. So this can't be the case.
It's more of a vague general guideline for explaining why God doesn't nuke the gays any more rather than a hard rule. I didn't mean that the persons of God can't interact, just that it's rare to see them doing stuff on Earth at the same time.

It probably wasn't an eclipse AFAIK but that answer was mostly sarcastic. I don't have any answers re: supernatural shenanigans around Jesus' death/resurrection. All bets are off when it comes to something of that magnitude.

I sorta like this sort of thing.  It seems very Gnostic to me, though.  It recognizes that the Father and Son have very different natures.  Maybe... aren't even literally the same entity?
Really though, it's a big deal that Jesus is still alive, even though he's in Heaven now.  I'm still not sure why his campaign of providing mortals with evidence would end.
It's possible that the Father wanted him to stop. Jesus remarks that his power comes from the Father, and that he does his Father's will. It explains the inconsistency quite neatly but brings a weird element of disagreement into the Trinity. I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Also:
What made you think he wasn't?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 04, 2015, 09:13:57 pm »

A better specific example of Jesus doing miracles to convince people would probably be the water-to-wine trick, which convinced the servants who drew the water.  And:
2:9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom
2:11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
Honestly I don't feel like I'm doing a good job showing this.  But I'm still convinced that I'm right, haha...  I've always heard that Jesus went around performing miracles before crowds, I'm just having trouble proving it.

What made you think he wasn't?
:P Mostly the fact that so many Christians don't arrive at that conclusion, basically.  Or who maintain that the Trinity act with one purpose.

... I'm still not sure what the Holy Ghost even *is*.
She/they

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 04, 2015, 09:49:53 pm »

Roland, the holy spirit it what God the father sends down to earth to be with every believer. It gives discretion and wisdom. It can also perform miracles.

Acts 2:1-4 When the day of Pentecost came, they [the disciples] were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

As for Jesus wanting to keep his miracles quiet, I have a few examples on the top of my head.

Mark 1:41-45 has Jesus healing a leper, Jesus telly him to keep quiet so that he could continue his ministry. Unfortunately, the leper told everyone and their grandmother, so Jesus left the town.

Mark 5:43 after Jesus raised a dead girl from the dead, he gave a "strict order" to not tell anyone.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:52 pm »

:P Mostly the fact that so many Christians don't arrive at that conclusion, basically.  Or who maintain that the Trinity act with one purpose.

... I'm still not sure what the Holy Ghost even *is*.
Eh. Many christians wouldn't really know chunks of the bible from a hole in the ground, and draw hugely from the fanfiction anyway. Or deliberately ignore swaths of it (sometimes for the better, heh). Lots of 'em not coming to the conclusion that the christian god is a viciously malicious jackass doesn't mean too much.

And that's not getting into the tautological stuff where the thing could be the most incredibly and unilaterally evil thing in existence and still be considered not a baddie by christians, strictly because of definition. God is Good, even when God is blatantly evil.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 04, 2015, 10:06:20 pm »

Roland, the holy spirit it what God the father sends down to earth to be with every believer. It gives discretion and wisdom. It can also perform miracles.

Acts 2:1-4 When the day of Pentecost came, they [the disciples] were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
Thanks for the explanation!  I guess I had a very vague understanding, but it's good to hear clarification from an actual believer.

As for speaking in tongues, in Mark 16:17 Jesus does say that all believers will have that power.  He doesn't mention the holy ghost, but there's no contradiction there.

In Mark 16:18 Jesus also promises
16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Which I think is more problematic

I mean, I can speak in tongues.  So can babies, arguably.  Even believers can't drink arsenic and live though.

As for Jesus wanting to keep his miracles quiet, I have a few examples on the top of my head.

Mark 1:41-45 has Jesus healing a leper, Jesus telly him to keep quiet so that he could continue his ministry. Unfortunately, the leper told everyone and their grandmother, so Jesus left the town.

Mark 5:43 after Jesus raised a dead girl from the dead, he gave a "strict order" to not tell anyone.
Those are solid examples of Jesus trying to perform miracles secretly.  Keep in mind, he was pretty much an enemy of the state.
But, he is also said to have performed miracles to convince groups of people.  Why else would he have converted the water to wine?

And besides that, having "signs" follow the apostles and prove their words.  (Also something about... Sorry, sleepy...  70(?) men being granted similar powers and sent out to prosyletize with miracles)
She/they

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 04, 2015, 10:58:27 pm »

Alright, I think this is relevant to the current discussion:

Quote from: Matthew 13:58
And He did not do many miracles there[In Nazereth, Jesus' hometown, for context] because of their unbelief.

This plus the above heavily implies J-man didn't flaunt the miracles too much and didn't use them to directly convince people of their divinity.

re: Holy Ghost

Basically, anytime mystical wind or fire is in the Bible, that's Holy Ghost stuff. Wind across the formless chaos, pillar of fire in the desert, tongues of flame at Pentecost, etc.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: October 04, 2015, 11:09:49 pm »

Even with the water-to-wine miracle, it never says that Jesus did it for his own fame, in fact, when his mother tells him that the wine is out, he says:

John 2:4 Woman, why do you involve me?” Jesus replied. “My hour has not yet come.

So it sounds like he doesn't have a particular desire to turn the water into wine. It sounds like he does it for his mother.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:16 am »

As somebody who wasn't raised Christian, this conversation is bewildering.

Of course Jesus wasn't god. Was he a religious leader? Sure. Did he have a connection with god? Probably. Was he, himself, God? No, of course not.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3013 on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:41 am »

Well, he's the Son of God if the Bible is to be believed. He's God if you believe the popular interpretation.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:38 am »

I say presumably, because Jesus never actually did anything on a cosmic scale. It was always localised to him - parlour tricks in comparison.
Jesus himself gave the reason for this in Mark 4:12. He spoke in parables and didn't perform cosmic miracles, so that "they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand, lest they should turn and be forgiven."
Could you explain what that one means when it's not in riddles?
Oops.

Basically means "I'm not going to make it clear that I'm the son of God because if I did, many people would understand their predicament and ask the Father for forgiveness when they're not supposed to".

So because Jesus has a phobia of offering any proof towards anything

I always interpreted it as meaning that he want's people to burn in hell.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 521