I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 113 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 249

Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 521

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 582314 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Lobotomy?

I sometimes think so. I've probably railed at length about how 'fundamentalist' 'Christianity' is, depending on the person, often only tangentially based off the Bible.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Amerifundies need to read some St. Augustine

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's basically why the reformation happened.

I thought the reformation happened in part because the Church had essentially become corrupt?

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

I thought the reformation happened in part because the Church had essentially become corrupt?
Yes, people were not happy that the people in power (the pope, bishops) were the only ones that could actually read the bible, so they could basically get the people to do whatever they wanted by saying the bible allowed it. (For example, during the crusades, the pope said that the bible only forbade killing Christians, but killing Muslims was perfectly fine.) Then, when bibles were finally translated, people were like "oh crap! We've been lied to!" And then the reformation happened.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yes, people were not happy that the people in power (the pope, bishops) were the only ones that could actually read the bible, so they could basically get the people to do whatever they wanted by saying the bible allowed it. (For example, during the crusades, the pope said that the bible only forbade killing Christians, but killing Muslims was perfectly fine.) Then, when bibles were finally translated, people were like "oh crap! We've been lied to!" And then the reformation happened.

Whig history as its finest.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

Amerifundies need to read some St. Augustine
You mean the part where he tells you to keep interpreting the bible over and over again until it starts to mean what it should mean if it had been written by proper Scotsmanned Christians and not a bunch of mushroom-eating, goat-humping, cave-dwelling crackpots? Sounds about right.

Take heed, fundamentalists: Exegesis is how you turn spittle-flecked "holy books" into self-consistent religious doctrines that foster good behaviour instead of justifying lunacy, and it is therefore no bloody wonder that certain religious groups without viable exegetical traditions are causing so much bloody trouble in the world today.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile

Dont you dare call mushroom eaters crack pots! I am throughly offended, there are 4 of us, well maybe 4, a solid 1 1/2 and we will rise up and destroy your planet!
I am wrathful and my revenge stew is almost ready to be served, now what starch do you want? Potatoes or Rice?
Tremble before my flavour full revenge that has been slow cooking for 4 hours the meat of it is falling apart and my juliene carrots are aldente, screw you man screw you.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

I'm tempted to respond with kebabmushroompasta, but I think we should try avoid the shitposting spiral for a change. :V

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Seriously, guys.

You're not even trying.

You know what's a lot more difficult than 'hurrhurr Christians are dumb' or 'Some christians think this way, therefore all Christians are terrible people'?

Steelmanning your opponent's argument, and then proving it wrong. Have you tried that? Try acting as though you are a devout, intelligent Christian. It is entirely possible to be very intelligent, and still religious. They are not mutually exclusive.

Also to note: there are 2 billion Christians in the world, in a vast number of different sects, and there have been several wars and many many instances of persecution between those sects. Trying to say 'well all Christian fundamentalists believe X way' is just as much a Scotsman argument as 'no True Christian'. Just in the reverse direction.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Hoo boy D4E, you have just committed one of the biggest possible errors regarding thinking about infinity and probability. There's infinite real numbers between 1 and 10 but none of them are 11.
What? My logic was pretty much infinity * random small number = infinity, albeit a smaller one than the first one.
You're assuming there is a chance of it at all. For all you know it could be literally impossible. It could also be entirely inevitable. Depending on the types of universes that can exist (since we're already assuming there's every possible one, which might also not be a thing) and how you define 'god-like' (Since AFAIK there's no dictionary limit besides being worshipped).
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

Here's something I just wrote for a Yahoo Answers question challenging people to disprove the Christian god. Unfortunately I forgot my Yahoo password and couldn't post it there so I'm pasting it here instead because I don't want to lpse the effort I spent writing it:

"The "Problem of Evil" disproves most orthodox descriptions of the Christian God. God is generally held to be omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, and omnipresent, and this is inconsistent with the existence of evil. For evil to exist god would either have to be unable to stop all of it (in which case he would not be omnipotent), not care about stopping all of it (in which case he would not be omnibenevolent), or not know about the instances he doesn't doesn't stop (in which case he would not be omniscient). Some, in order to get around this, would redefine evil to be synonomous with the absence of god, but this would require that god not be omnipresent"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile

You know what's a lot more difficult than 'hurrhurr Christians are dumb' or 'Some christians think this way, therefore all Christians are terrible people'?
Where did you get that from?

Steelmanning your opponent's argument, and then proving it wrong. Have you tried that? Try acting as though you are a devout, intelligent Christian. It is entirely possible to be very intelligent, and still religious. They are not mutually exclusive.
Okay, I'll do just that, except for the "proving it wrong" part: If I were a devout, intelligent Christian/Muslim fundamentalist, I would keep reading the bible/koran over and over and over again until I'd have formed a self-consistent religious worldview that guides me towards tolerance and good behaviour instead of abject lunacy and mass murder.

"Take up and read" is the word, not "shut up and obey."

EDIT:
Here's something I just wrote for a Yahoo Answers question challenging people to disprove the Christian god.
There's nothing quite as boring as arguments for/against God's existence.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:10:05 pm by SirQuiamus »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Especially ones that have been presented a million times before and rejected by a noticeable proportion of the vocal Christians in the thread.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I have a question:

How many people here arguing for Christianity are believers, and how many are playing Devils advocate?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

What, because someone killed a guy on purpose once they've inexplicably become unable to hold reasonable positions in society without doing so again, even when there are demonstrable changes in their behavior and values as demonstrated by religion or faith? Or is it just that you find the prospect too risky? (I may be misinterpreting you heavily; I apologize, I feel mentally exhausted after the doublethink)
Mostly his point was that using their religion or faith, as in just the sheer existence of them having it OR coming to it while in prison, AS a demonstration of change in future behavior was... 'risky.' I'd say idiotic or batshit myself, but let's just go with risky.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 521